1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Their baste fittings are a big deal, especially given their initial measurements. (Bring your best-cut suit, and tell them what you do and don't like. My first time in, they took an old Savile Row suit and nearly gave it a colonoscopy.) This may not solve every problem perfectly, but you'll get very close.

One thing to monitor-- their default setting, probably due to the Asian physique, is for fairly well-padded shoulders. If you want natural or unpadded, don't wait to tell them-- and expect to say it again during the baste fitting.

2. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Are you going with the Zegna fabric? for your first suit, maybe a less expensive cloth to get the measurements and fit down.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Tell them what you want from the very beginning and make sure they follow through in the baste fitting.

4. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

One more thing to keep in mind -- as beautifully as they are cut, their trousers are much less well-made than SR equivalents. Among other things, they seem to prefer a flimsy waistband, which can look pretty awful if you aren't wearing a belt. See if there is a stiffer lining they can put in. Again, compare to your favorite suit and ask them to do more or less of what is there.

5. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

Chan is definitely not MTM , MTM fitting is let you try on similar size of a ready suit instead of baste fitting of your select fabric . Chan default is full canvas . Do you prefer to have full canvas ? It takes much longer time to produce than half canvas .

6. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

Who you are referring to?

I love my trouser maker work, and I don't think they are less well make than SR equivalents for what I saw in the fora

7. Hifilover

Your time frame is hard to get a Savile Row quality level suit . Maybe a one level lower at good price is better . HK tailors are famous for good value but not best crasftmanship in the world . There are many countries have better tailors than Hong Kong sych as Italy , France , Japan and UK .

8. Hifilover

If not aim for the best but good value , from my limited knowledge , can consider Y William Yu (full canvas) , William Cheng (half canvas ) and Graly for shirts .it maybe better to withdraw if you cannot get the finished product before you leave .

9. IsABellyDad

IsABellyDad Active Member

I think Concordia is referring to trousers made by Chan.

I need to say that I don't feel that the waistband of my trousers from Chan is "flimsy". Instead, that pair is probably my best pair of trousers (comparing with those from 3 other HK tailors) - with the exception that I've intentionally made it a bit too tight...

10. IsABellyDad

IsABellyDad Active Member

My suggestions:
    1. Tell Chan your budget and the desired performance of the fabrics (instead of a specific brand / series) - and let the staff make suggestions. Chan has a big price folder listing the price of a 2 piece for each fabric. The choice of fabrics is still quite wide if your budget is up to 15000 HKD. A bit narrow if your budget is under 12000 HKD (assuming price has increased since the Chinese New Year).
    2. Occasionally Chan may be doing some promotions on less expensive fabrics (e.g. Dugdale). No harm to ask. However, be prepared that those fabrics are a bit old fashioned / boring.
    probably still ok if you are just looking for a conservative navy suit.
    3. If you intend for 2 suits, pick the 2 fabrics in your first visit, but make one suit first. If the fit of the final product is ok, you can remotely ask Chan to make the second one using the same cutting and mail to you. In case the final product of the first one is not what you desire, you can still find ways to adjust.

1 person likes this.
  11. Hifilover

Chan becomes a catalyst .

12. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the contact details for Ng sifu? Does he have an email address? Does he speak english?

I'm travelling to HK in a months time and I'd like to give him a go

13. PekingRoadHK

PekingRoadHK Well-Known Member

Ng sifu is one of the many BaoTou with his own workshop in Mirador Mansion TST. He works for a few tailor shops/middle men at the same time in Central, TST, and Sham Shui Po.

Ng sifu, like all other BaoTou, is the person behind tailor shops who makes suits for consumers. He and all other Shanghai workmanship tailors charge HK$2.xk workmanship for a 2 pcs full canvas suit. However, consumers have to purchase suit fabric somewhere else for CMT. Tailor shops/middle men charge high price for their profit, and tailor shops are one shop places providing fabric choices. So, this is your choice to go direct deal with Ng sifu (BaoTou) in Mirador at low cost or through tailor shops/middle men at high cost.

You can see what Ng sifu workshop looks like in his facebook page, and you can call him directly if you speak Cantonese. He does not speak English, you have to bring your Cantonese translator! There are around 100 BaoTou in Mirador Mansion, this building is the center for tailors behind tailor shops in HK, and you can pick all kinds of tailors in this building.
    This one tells how to search direct details : 170#
    Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong​
    http://www.styleforum.net/threads/best-value-tailor-in-hong-kong.68785/page-9

Of this 3 tailor shops, 2 of them work with BaoTou in Mirador.
    Of this 2 tailor shops, I found 3 BaoTou working for this 2 tailor shops. 2 suit BaoTou + 1 shirt BaoTou.
    Of this 3 BaoTou, 2 BaoTou have their facebook pages, the other one has a wechat fan club. We can see what their workshops look like in their facebook pages or wechat fan club before we visit them. For better value, I am sure going to Mirador is the choice for me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM