1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bism416

bism416 Member

I'm just going to be in HK for a couple days, normally based in Shanghai. Was hoping to find time to drop into a fabric store or two when I am in town. Anyone have any reccomendations?

2. Jayess

Jayess Active Member

Went to Graly based on the suggestions here for a shirt. Got charged 480HKD for a blue herringbone house fabric, wonder if I got duped 30HKD extra based on the 450 quoted here or if the prices were recently raised....owner said the shirt will be ready in a week. Will post results. If anyone has any other suggestions for this price point for shirts do share, planning to get a couple shirts done

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

Yeah, you got duped big time. All of 4usd. Why didnt you just ask why the shirt was more than you expected?

1 person likes this.
  4. bamboo

bamboo Well-Known Member

It probalby was pre Chinese New Year price. Hong Kong tailoring index goes up after CNY about 10% every year whatever the economic condition is.

5. chobochobo

What's a good idea. The spam in your signature? Bye bye

6. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Probably, but it will hardly break you so not worth calling to attention.

7. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

A few months ago , i visited Sun May shirt makers in Wanchai , it is a small ground floor shop. A tailor made white shirt starts from hkd230. (USD 30.-)

8. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

Just a word on Tin Lun's alteration ability.

I took my jacket to have it shorted by a 1/2" inch, but unfortunately their workmanship on this was a little shoddy. The quarters curved into the hem was very abrupt, it looks like someone just took a pair of scissors and cut 1/2" off, there was no attempt to smooth out the quarters and make it look natural. Further, they forgot the take in the lining as well, causing it to collapse past the hem line and be visible outside the jacket. These are pretty amateur results for such a famous place.

I took the jacket back to them and asked them to fix the problems and they agreed to do so. So this is just a FYI and heads up; maybe consider elsewhere if you have a complex project.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  9. chobochobo

That's pretty shoddy. I would expect even the average Dry cleaning alterations service to attend to the lining as well

10. Hifilover

How much do you pay ?

11. NorwegianBlue

NorwegianBlue Member

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

So I will be in HK in a months time, and I figured I'd pick up a suit while I'm there. I've emailed WW Chan who quoted me a price of 19.100 HKD. This is for a two-piece suit made with Zegna Trofeo fabric. Seems a bit steep - is this really what they normally charge?
    I was thinking of paying something more in the 10k HKD range. I've heard mostly good things about Sam's. Anyone else they'd recommend in this price range?

Thanks!

12. NorwegianBlue

NorwegianBlue Member

Addendum: Sam's quoted me a price of 3400 HKD as a starting price for a two-piece suit.

This price gap seems enormous.

13. chobochobo

You are comparing one of the best with what many would say is one of the worst. And you are surprised at the price gap?

14. Hifilover

Do you want a fused suit?

I think bespoke full canvas 2 pc starts from hkd 6 k at mid range tailor shops .

15. bamboo

bamboo Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear and a bit surpriesed at your story. 1/2 inch shorting seems not be so difficult to do. I hope they fix the problem to your satisfaction.

16. bamboo

bamboo Well-Known Member

I think majority of the people here would not recommend Sam's unless affliated. Having said that people here and people who posted postive comments on Trip Advisor etc are totally different species.

To receive useful advice some more information would help. Your expectation, needs, wants and duration of stay. How often you wear suit? Is this your first ever suit? What kind of suits you usually wear etc?

17. NorwegianBlue

NorwegianBlue Member

I only have one other off-the-rack suit that I wear. Due to my somewhat bulky frame, fat thighs and narrow waist it's pretty much impossible for me to find something that fits off-the-rack, even if I have it altered. So the suit I have looks ok, but it's not a good fit.
    I don't normally wear a suit daily for work(doctor), however I do need one for confereces now and again.

I'll be in HK for 6 days. I was hoping to get a rather conservative navy suit and, if I don't blow my budget, another one in charcoal - preferably something with less structure in the shoulders(more british cut?) and a rougher fabric. Something I'd be more comfortable wearing in a more casual setting. I'm also looking to establish a relationship with a tailor I can order more suits from at a later time.

From my email correspondance with Sam's I am a bit put off by the extreme eagerness of the sales pitch. Seems a bit too good to be true... Then again WWC is about double what I was hoping to pay. I'm not completely discounting it, but then the second suit is out of the question. 10-15 HKD for a two-piece suit would definitely be preferrable.

Does anyone have any experience with Practical Tailor? (from this thread: https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-best-tailor-in-Hong-Kong?srid=p9zG&share=188456f8)

18. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Zegna cloth.

19. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Sams = crap.

20. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Forget the Zegna cloth and choose an equally good but less pricey option.