1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Very interesting and helpful

1 person likes this.
  2. zackyh

zackyh New Member

hi guys, anyone has good recommendations for shirts in HK? Seen some reviews on Jantzen saying its decent but poor customer service etc. Targetting budget around 3 for ~1.3k

3. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

If you are in HK and can speak Cantonese, Janzten will be ok.

4. zackyh

zackyh New Member

thanks chobo. yes i'm able to speak Cantonese..any other tailors go for around same price with decent house fabric for the shirts?

5. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

Average usd55 per custom made shirt, how decent of the fabric can you get ?

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

@zackyh, it's been a while since I've been to Janzten. I've tried LeeBaron and Sun May (cheaper but perhaps not as nice); my current shirtmaker takes ages.

7. klp2332

klp2332 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your comments on my review. I very much enjoyed writing it and it acted as an excellent past time.

Most of the comments pertained to the trousers. And, I agree that the trousers (especially, the back) is a bit of a mess (I tried to convey this modestly in my post by alluding it as the area that needs 'most improvement'). As such, Ng sifu definitely did not do an ideal job on this pair; though, to be fair, my legs are quite athletic, and idiosyncratically thick in the upper thighs -- in fact, good fitting trousers has often a problem for me. Nonetheless, the onus is on the tailor. However, Michael and Ng sifu have kindly agreed to take another look at the trousers, hopefully they can be much improved. So, I hope to report back soon.

Now, very briefly: as for the length of the jacket, I reckon it is on the shorter side but, I think, still very much within 'standard' range (if there is such a thing). And, where it lies within this range is solely to do with preference. Perhaps, to be more in line with my age and the proportion between my upper and lower body, I usually prefer a shorter jacket. Similarly, the jacket is indeed on the tighter side, but again it is a matter of preference. I hope my tastes do not appear atrociously misguided to you.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

Oops again!

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  9. hippotamus

hippotamus Well-Known Member

Both tailor (Ng sifu and Michael) should not have let you walk out with that trousers.......

If you never posted online, would they "offer" to fix it ???????

10. klp2332

klp2332 Well-Known Member

Yes, the onus was certainly on them.

Also, in response to your previous question (sorry I forgot to answer), the jacket is full canvas and it is also a canvas vest. I hope that helps.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  11. hippotamus

hippotamus Well-Known Member

Great I remember Tailor Lai does canvas vest, which is quite rare in these days, great the new Tailor is keeping this nice custom

12. zackyh

zackyh New Member

Thanks BurgerKong. Wow didn't know they stopped doing Shirts thought they were famous for that...anyone else got any recommendations?

13. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

Tailor Lai use wool canvass for vest.
    Tailor Ng use cotton twill canvass for vest.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Don't think this is correct, unless very recent.

15. burgerkong

Ooops!

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  16. Chowkin

Chowkin Well-Known Member

Why would they abandon their core competence? Makes no sense at all.

I just called them up and yes, they still make shirts

1 person likes this.
  17. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

I didn't think Jantzen would be so silly as to give up making shirts. It's much easier an operation to manage compare to making suits in comparable quality. Also more volume as shirts get worn out much quicker than suits.

18. burgerkong

My bad, seems like my dad mixed it up with another tailor, deleted original comment as I personally just called as well. Apologies fellas!

19. Timyan89

Timyan89 New Member

I'm about to head to Hong Kong soon and I've always heard a lot about the great deals in custom tailoring. I'm looking for something pretty Italian, lightweight, soft shoulders, unlined or quarter lined. Is there anyone on the Kowloon side that specializes in suits like this?

20. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Yes, people like Gordon Yao are good at making a fair impression of such things. However avoid the Asian touts near Star Ferry in TST, they will promise you what you want to hear and deliver you a rag. You will easily recognise them, they are the ones who don't shout 'copy watch' at you.