• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

People seem very reluctant do show their living spaces. Odd on forum where people regularly post pictures of themselves. What's the issue?

There's no issue for me. I just know the resultant **** storm that would cause and prefer to avoid it at this time. I mean, look at the **** storm posting a chair in a furniture showroom caused.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bigger tvs should be lower, not higher, unless the TV is tilted down. You want the middle of the TV to be eye height when you're sitting down.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's no issue for me. I just know the resultant **** storm that would cause and prefer to avoid it at this time. I mean, look at the **** storm posting a chair in a furniture showroom caused.

But that's because of the chair . . .

Bigger tvs should be lower, not higher, unless the TV is tilted down. You want the middle of the TV to be eye height when you're sitting down.

Put another way, the center of the screen should not change heights between television sets, regardless of size. Hence, the larger the television, the closer to the floor.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is making me feel like an uncultured philistine, because having a TV on the wall is never something that's bothered me all the much in terms of room aesthetics.

On a not entirely unrelated note, any recommendations for convincing the wife to let me slap a pool table in the middle of the family room?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you checked out Sonos for your music needs? They have freestanding powered units too and your phone/tablets/computer can all have the app.

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/play5.html

Bonus is the app streams several Internet sources for free. I've only explored TunedIn and I love it. Can pull right off your NAS, stream music from your phone, all kinds of stuff.

I've looked into their device that plugs into a stereo system. I already have a reciever and speakers, and because of the layout of my apartment, the speakers for the TV provide adequate coverage for everything except the bedroom and bathroom.

For right now though, I didn't see the need. The TV is right there and between various remotes and wireless keyboard/mouse combos, it is pretty easy to control. Furthermore, I mostly use Spotify, and I can directly control the HTPC instance with the phone/tablet app.

Medwed's photo is actually not too far off...my TV is just a glorified computer monitor. I can't remember the last time I actually watched live TV on it. Olympics? Maybe if I watch the VP debate? Otherwise it is just a screen for a computer in my living room.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you are using this forum wrong.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But that's because of the chair . . .
Put another way, the center of the screen should not change heights between television sets, regardless of size. Hence, the larger the television, the closer to the floor.

I agree with both of you, but, in my experience, we're very much in the minority.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with both of you, but, in my experience, we're very much in the minority.

There are at least four of us, and I convinced a friend of this a while back, so five.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

brokencycle

Reaction score
This thread is making me feel like an uncultured philistine, because having a TV on the wall is never something that's bothered me all the much in terms of room aesthetics.

On a not entirely unrelated note, any recommendations for convincing the wife to let me slap a pool table in the middle of the family room?

I'm so uncultured, I use a media console and set the TV on it rather than the wall. That will probably change when I move, but it solves the problem of hiding cables and leaves plenty of storage for things like gaming consoles or audio receivers.
There are at least four of us, and I convinced a friend of this a while back, so five.

Make it six.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Could you direct me to the handbook on proper use?

Maybe his point is that if you post a picture of a mediocre, no-design chair in a design-focused discussion thread, you shouldn't be surprised if said chair is negatively received?

brokencycle

Reaction score

Yeah, this thread and the furniture thread in particular are some of the harshest critics there are, and it isn't always consistent (except in the hate for your chair). Funny because men's clothing, as an example, typically is really consistent and the only divergence you get is between the strict conservative business dress types like Manton and the more peacock types like spoo.

I wouldn't ever post any furniture/house stuff in any of these threads because there is no upside and a small risk some criticism will stick with me and make me enjoy my home/furniture less.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Maybe his point is that if you post a picture of a mediocre, no-design chair in a design-focused discussion thread, you shouldn't be surprised if said chair is negatively received?

I never said I was surprised over that, in fact, I'm sure I said I knew it would happen. I'm sure pretty much anything I post will get torn apart no matter what it is I post. I'm completely fine with that but just chose not to do it on a large scale. I mean, Med has insulted me for having several thousand dollar wine cabinets vs. a walk in cellar.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, this thread and the furniture thread in particular are some of the harshest critics there are, and it isn't always consistent (except in the hate for your chair).  Funny because men's clothing, as an example, typically is really consistent and the only divergence you get is between the strict conservative business dress types like Manton and the more peacock types like spoo.

I wouldn't ever post any furniture/house stuff in any of these threads because there is no upside and a small risk some criticism will stick with me and make me enjoy my home/furniture less.

I haven't spent much time in MC in years, so can't speak to what it's like anymore. But the design/furniture thread is fairly predictable, even though there are divergent points of view. Frankly, it's pretty sleepy over there.

What's wrong with criticism, though? Not much fun or use if every post were guaranteed praise/adulation.

I never said I was surprised over that, in fact, I'm sure I said I knew it would happen. I'm sure pretty much anything I post will get torn apart no matter what it is I post. I'm completely fine with that but just chose not to do it on a large scale. I mean, Med has insulted me for having several thousand dollar wine cabinets vs. a walk in cellar.

Not true at all. Come on, man--you usually start the discussion with some idea that is not bad or offensive--such as, "I really like the Eames lounge chair." But then, as discussion develops, you introduce other ideas that are increasingly odd or off-putting--like, "We need to have two Eames lounges chairs, side by side--because married." People tell you those ideas are odd or off-putting, but things march on anyway. Then inevitably, the other shoe drops. You aren't going to get an Eames lounge chair. It's too expensive. You aren't sure you couldn't get something equally high-quality for less money. You're not sure the whole "design" thing matters to you. Who is this Eames guy anyway and what business does he have charging you $6,000 for a chair? Next thing you know, you are posting a picture of the Pio-chair in some depressingly anonymous buy-one-get-one-free, 50%-off-everything, everything-must-go furniture showroom/warehouse/deathchamber and everyone is like "WTF" and pissed that they wasted all their time.

A week later you ask "What about Arco lamps? I like those." Rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I may be paraphrasing, embellishing, whatever, but I think I've captured the spirit of how things unfurl into a "**** storm" for you.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

Well, if you didn't have a TV room, you could have space for a wine cellar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads