1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I think adding some Calacatta would make it even more busy. But maybe I'm not imagining what you're imagining. And I tend to like very plain bathrooms. So I'm probably just biased.

I agree. Some mature trees would be a big selling point for me. I can't understand why people take nice wooded lots, then clear cut them and build. My dad's from Maine and I see that all the time there.

Re. the garage, what struck me is how prominent it is from the front. I like garages on the side or back, ideally.

Good catch on the popcorn ceilings, Pio. That was the first thing we had taken out. But ours had asbestos. I'm guessing this stuff was sprayed after that era. Maybe they wanted it for sound reduction.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

There was a house in WI that was listed for around 10 years. It started somewhere around $20 mil and ended up selling last year for $2.9 mil :lol:

3. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Can someone educate me on marble vs synthetic stone?

Is marble only more desirable because it is natural and rarer ?
    Because it seems like the man made versions have all the practical advantages and I'm not sure I can readily distinguish them by sight

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I have done marble look quartz, and I will probably do it again. It is more maintenance/less durable. There are people who can tell the difference, but there are really good examples that I can't tell the difference (or wouldn't notice the difference if you didn't tell me it was quartz.

Cambria and Silestone both have nice options. Cambria will probably be more expensive, but it sounds like they have stricter standards for fabricators/installers. I have seen pictures where you can't see a seam without someone holding their dinner to it.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

The popcorn ceilings caught my eye, too. FFS. And the garage is idiotically laid out for anyone doing the sort of work that would necessitate a lift. Or maybe it was just staged by someone who doesn't know any better.

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Ok, I give up. What's wrong with the lift placement?

7. brokencycle

8. sugarbutch

They've got all that space, and they put it right up against the one bit of wall space where a toolbox/workbench could go. So they put the toolbox in front of the window and the workbench intrudes on the approach to the lift.

9. sugarbutch

You make the baby Prince cry:

Everybody's going uptown
    That's where I want to be
    Uptown
    Set your mind free
    Uptown
    Got my body hot
    Get down
    I don't want to stop, no

10. brokencycle

As someone who has lived in MN, I'm about to commit blasphemy, but I don't care if I make baby Prince cry.

2 people like this.
  11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Uptown sure ain't what it used to be. Not sure Price would love the current iteration as much....he'd probably be spending time in Nordeast.

To each his own I guess, but I'd hate having to drive in the city from Lake Minnetonka, even if that is where the good big boat sailing is.
    (In this hypothetical world, I have a job somewhere in the Minneapolis city limits)
    My parents are on the north east side of Golden Valley...I can handle that. My dad doesn't even have to get on a highway to go to work (formerly in the warehouse district, currently in northeast)

12. brokencycle

I always worked in one of the southern suburbs, but there's also plenty of employers in the Plymouth/Golden Valley area too. Plus if you did work downtown, you could always pay to use the carpool lane.

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It sure looks like there's enough room for the tool box along that wall, if they wanted it there. The box is on wheels, you know. It even looks like there's enough room to roll it around the corner with the lift in place. And the ramps on the lift are going to be removable so there wouldn't be an access issue between the lift and the bench.

Also, 4-post lifts aren't really used for most auto work, at least in my experience. As far as I know, they're mostly for oil changes and for stacking vehicles in storage. Maybe better if you have to drop a transmission. Some have scissor lifts built in, which makes them more useful, but I can't see if that one has one or not. Even then you wouldn't use it for most repair work, since raising it up or making it hard to get the wheels impedes your access.

Also that garage doesn't seem to be set up for serious auto work. Yeah, it's probably staged, but there doesn't seem to be any provision for serious tools. It's a finished, indoor type space for storing cars and hanging out. Not a workshop.

2 people like this.
  14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Seems like a fine enough spot for the lift. Natural light for working on the car (though I'm sure you will still need a drop light) and likely every other spot is in the way of something like the garage doors.

1 person likes this.
  15. sugarbutch

Yes, you could put the box over there, but it would almost certainly be too tight to have a drawer open and the car door open and still pass between them easily. And in a garage like this, why would you want to be cramped? I think having the lift in that area is fine (natural light would be really nice), but I'd move one car back into the open area and move the lift more toward the center. The garage doors look to be at least a couple of car lengths away.

If it were my garage, I would definitely have a rotary two-post anchored into the slab, but maybe that wasn't an option. It looks like the garage is over another space. I don't love scissor lifts.

16. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

That is most certainly a storage lift and not a working lift. Look up 4 post vs 2 post lift. That lift is designed to drive up on and be able to open the door whereas someone else here mentoined that a 2 post allows the wheels to come off and better access to the vehicle itself.

1 person likes this.
  17. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

If I had to wager I'd say that dude owns a trucking company. No H8. Beats a yuppie with a $5M 3000sq ft joint with two 2.0L Audis in the double garage.

18. brokencycle

In high school the shop class had multiple lifts. One of them a 4 post. It worked just fine for things like oil changes or exhaust work.

19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The dealer I worked at had lifts like that in the oil change bays. All of the fully-qualified mechanics had 2 post lifts.

But I think other posters are right. This place is staged for the photo shoot. That lift is probably there because it is the kind of thing that doesn't require sturdy attachment to the ground (there is space under that part of the garage--it is not on foundation).

The person who built that place probably didn't do their own work on their cars (and probably had a more interesting car selection).

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

And if it were my garage it would be filled with woodworking tools and cabinetry work in progress. :satisfied:

3 people like this.