• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Separate room for TV viewing is the way to go.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like Piob said, the best thing to do is have a separate room for the television. But if you have to live in a tenement, maybe you could have a TV nook. Or you could pull the TV off the wall and stick it in a closet (if you have one) when company comes over.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Movies watching or some annoying children programs , sure. But if I want to see the news while doing other things I don't want to go to News Watching Room.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nah, let's totally hang it at an awkward height over the fireplace and center the whole living space around it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Movies watching or some annoying children programs , sure. But if I want to see the news while doing other things I don't want to go to News Watching Room.

Sounds like you need to schedule better. I watch the news in our media room after dinner. If I wanted to listen to news I can just stream it over our in ceiling speakers anywhere in the house.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Like Piob said, the best thing to do is have a separate room for the television. But if you have to live in a tenement, maybe you could have a TV nook. Or you could pull the TV off the wall and stick it in a closet (if you have one) when company comes over.

Right. Just add another room. Makes sense. Why didn't I think of that?

I will have to see about getting my tenement board to approve.

Duh. Didn't you hear them? Get. A. Separate. Room.

Nah, let's totally hang it at an awkward height over the fireplace and center the whole living space around it.

Well, that's just marsupialed. Don't know why anyone ever thought putting a TV over the fireplace made sense.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"Separate room" is under the same heading as "TV that looks like a mirror." Neither one of them is going to work for you, Foo, but it's just fun to keep saying it.

You live large in Manhattan. Us plebs in flyover have to flaunt some of the few positives we have once in a while and square footage is certainly one of them.

In other news, can't remember if I posted this, but new doors going in a week from today. Looking forward to having an open door in the bedroom in the cool season as there's nothing I love more on a Saturday morning than a 40 degree bedroom.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not pout it inside a fireplace , that way you can have fake fire crackling away when you are not watching.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

"Separate room" is under the same heading as "TV that looks like a mirror." Neither one of them is going to work for you, Foo, but it's just fun to keep saying it.

You live large in Manhattan. Us plebs in flyover have to flaunt some of the few positives we have once in a while and square footage is certainly one of them.

In other news, can't remember if I posted this, but new doors going in a week from today. Looking forward to having an open door in the bedroom in the cool season as there's nothing I love more on a Saturday morning than a 40 degree bedroom.

Regardless of where you live, simply adding a new room or relocating all television activities to an existing room is not really a solution unless it makes sense for your lifestyle. As Medwed points out, for many, TV-watching is a more casual and regular affair that needs to more integrated with common living spaces. Otherwise, you'd find yourself sequestered to your "TV room" all the time--and then that room might as well be your living room.

But I get it--what I'm asking for is to have my cake and eat it too. I want a single living space optimized for socializing and conversation but also functions well for media and television. Right now, our living room is only slightly compromised by the presence of a TV. For the most part, the furniture is arranged as it would have been even if the TV weren't there and the TV itself is as plain and unobtrusive as possible. It helps that our aesthetic is modern and minimal, so a black rectangle floating on a white wall doesn't look so off. It would be a bigger problem if we were the sort of people who prefer a more traditional living space.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't need to add a room for a nook. The idea is that you dedicate a smaller part of your living room area to the TV and set up the rest for entertaining. A TV and a little couch don't take up much space. Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't. I don't know.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You don't need to add a room for a nook. The idea is that you dedicate a smaller part of your living room area to the TV and set up the rest for entertaining. A TV and a little couch don't take up much space. Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't. I don't know.

Eh. Theoretically I could squeeze in such space, but that would force other compromises worse than just including the TV in the living room.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Eh. Theoretically I could squeeze in such space, but that would force other compromises worse than just including the TV in the living room.

Or you could become a properly cultured Manhattenite and ditch the TV.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, that's just marsupialed. Don't know why anyone ever thought putting a TV over the fireplace made sense.

I blame HGTV.

When I was looking for houses, nearly all of the flipped houses came pre-wired to have a TV mounted over the fireplace.

Some of them had even installed electric fireplaces so that people could mount a TV over them.

Why not pout it inside a fireplace , that way you can have fake fire crackling away when you are not watching.

You need to talk to HGTV right now, get this going. I bet 4K TVs give a great looking fake fire.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads