1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Open floor plan kitchen and one family with bratty kids in that development would ruin it for all.

Gorgeous building, grounds, and location though.

2 people like this.
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Our old Kenmore dryer has a moisture sensor, and it works quite well. I'm not sure I've even used the timed dryer cycle...

I looked at Consumer Reports, and Speed Queen was not recommended. It also wasn't available at a store open that evening...

4. Piobaire

I've got a built in moisture sensor.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

New washer arrived this morning. Washed a load, and it's fine, I guess. Interface is stupid. Instead of dials that you can leave in your desired settings, each main mode has a variety of default settings which you need to change with multiple button presses. It also displays the time remaining, but of course it's an estimate. I watched it sit at :01 for 6-7 minutes during the final spin cycle. Still, it took less time than the old machine, and it's quieter than the old one ever was. Oh, and instead of a buzzer it has a synthesized series of tones to signal it's done. I'll never hear it upstairs...

6. Piobaire

Fire sand and gas ring is installed in the fire pit. I've got 60 pounds of fire glass to cover it with and just waiting for Wednesday evening to put it in. They still need to bevel the flagstone so don't want all that dust on the pretty new glass. Fire pit this weekend! :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  7. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

When is the official SF Home ownership pool party?

8. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Please post Hi Res pics , otherwise noone would believe you.

9. Piobaire

I need to order more fire glass but fire pit action this weekend. :slayer:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

What is this fire glass you keep talking about?

11. Piobaire

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

You bury a burner in glass and light 'er up .Cool. Welder like fire

1 person likes this.
  14. Piobaire

Fire sand to fill the space to the level of the bottom of the burner ring (fire sand is cheap) and then cover entire area with fire glass to bury burner. Fire glass is not cheap. First batch was $300 and I just ordered a second batch. Looks fantastic though.

15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I'm considering re-purposing a garage.

I need to seal the garage door in a way that's not permanent, but weather tight enough to allow for a space heating and cooling unit to work properly.

Also, I need to cover the floor, I looked at those interlocking rubber-ish solutions, but they would get pricey. I was thinking of buying a roll of carpet padding and covering that with an inexpensive office type rug. I mainly need to have the central area of the room covered so that its not feet on cement floor.

Anyone done something similar or have a suggestion? I'd prefer to avoid nailing studs and drywall with insulation if possible to seal the garage door.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Does it have to look nice or can you just wedge big pink foam insulation board in there?

17. Piobaire

Sounding like he wants to set up a place to jam.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

It has to look reasonable. You mean the rigid foam board type? It would still leave gaps, and I'd have to do something to treat the edges. How would you do that? I worry that silver tape would eventually detach from a masonry wall.

I could run a curtain across the length of the area to hide the insulation.

19. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

You could just buy a new door, one that's insulated. They're not that expensive. [​IMG] ETA: This is how I did mine--cut foam board insulation into multiple pieces so it would fit, then put a layer of plastic (you can get it in 4x8 sheets) over it and glued it in place. It looks pretty good, but it's quite heavy. Would probably need a new opener and/or new springs, or springs tweaked at the very least.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Thats a good partial approach, but Isn't that still going to let a lot of air in top and bottom, even the sides? I thought I would have to cover the wall top to bottom, leaving an air gap to the garage door. I won't have to open and close the door in the near future, so I want to introduce some kind of seal. Nice table saw btw