1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Thanks Fellas.

LOL @ Ataturk, I think less of these doors knobs would be an improvement. I may switch to handles as I've yet to find a simple doorknob that looks nice. I think crystal knobs look nice, but this obviously isnt the house for it. The doors themselves will likely go, but I plan to do one floor at a time. I started with the basement because I can make it a departure from the rest of the house without it seeming out of place.

That sounds like a PITA, funny enough the bones of this house are very solid and I'm actually surprised at how well most of it is done, but the finish work is terrible at best. I enter every project assuming I cannot reuse anything. How old is your house?

Pio,

I always have resale in mind as well, so I try to be careful about building in too many things that I enjoy that many other people might not. I think it has stopped me from a walk-in humidor....which is probably a good thing.

Gotta say, I think most people would enjoy a wine cellar however.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

That's what I would think too but I've seen it done with old-lady type hutches, huge entertainment stands, etc. I've also seen someone cover the windows with foil to keep the sun out. People are odd.

3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Stairs look great SG. Not so sold on the overhang lip though. Seems like a recipe for tripping and stubbed toes.

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Hmm, yeah. I really wanted to reuse those knobs. They're solid brass (or at least some are, some weren't original) and the ones on the outside of the house actually had a really nice patina from 20 years in the weather. I seriously considered stripping the lacquer off, tarnishing them a little, and putting them back on. Problem is that brass globes aren't very sturdy and some where damaged, plus about half the outside knobs had been replaced piecemeal with non-matching replacements. It just wasn't worth it to deal with them. I ended up getting a good deal on some old stock, bronze-finished, mushroom-shaped, Weiser-branded knobs.

It's just 20 years old. As you probably know, nothing that was put into houses 20 years ago is worth keeping. Fortunately this one was custom built by some wealthy eccentric for himself [he also built 2 other houses on the cul-de-sac for family], so there are some high-end touches. The master bath has a 20-foot ceiling, for example. That's nice--glad it's not cold down here, though. It's a weird house. That's fine as long as you only pay weird house prices for it [and I did].

5. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks Rambo.

Turk, sounds like a cool house, but my experience has been the same. The 90's began a period of faux-opulence.

6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

And shitty construction. Seems most houses built in the last 20 years shake every time you shut a door. Sigh.

7. SkinnyGoomba

Have any of you guys used Emtek handles? I'm looking at the emtek Stuttgart stainless passafe levers.

[​IMG]

8. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Ugh. This has been my experience as well. About a year ago my wife bought some CFL bulbs that we put into the outdoor sconces that light up the front yard/driveway. They were super bright and did a much better job of illuminating the space. I loved them, but my wife thought they looked too cold and white. We jokingly referred to them as the "moonbase lights."

This year, after taking down the outdoor Christmas decorations, my wife put in regular, boring incandescent lights again. I protested, but she insisted. I think she may have thrown the other bulbs away to make sure I don't go out and swap them out.

SG: I like the stairs. I think they look really nice.

We also have a house that's bigger than we need, and it's only going to get more so as our daughter heads off to college in the next couple of years. At some point we'll have a whole upstairs wing of the house sitting empty. I wonder if we could put up some sort of insulated door and turn off the HVAC in that part of the house. :bored:

9. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks Dave!

If I did not think it would eventually cause a lawsuit, I would light my entryway path with large oil lamps when expecting guests. I think it would be awesome.

10. Ataturk

Thinking a little more about why we expect warm light--when the sun is coming up or setting it's quite yellow and warm. The only time you really see bright blue light is when the whole world is lit up, so it looks weird by itself in the darkness.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  11. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Definitely replace em with normal door handles.

I cannot stand door-knobs. They look cheap they are bitch to operate if you carrying something and they look cheap. I have been in million-dollar apartments in NYC that had builder-standard door knobs. Why most people tolerate them is beyond me.

12. SkinnyGoomba

Lol, tell us how you really feel...

Do any of you have experience with Emtek?

13. SkinnyGoomba

Double

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  14. Ataturk

If anybody's interested in getting the Feit BR40 LEDs I posted about earlier, Lowes sells them under a house brand for $30 each.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_394801-75774-LBR40DM/LED_0__?productId=4087750

They have the Feit branded ones on eBay for a decent price. Costco is supposed to be the best place to get them, though I can't verify that without joining Costco and driving to Memphis (which is kind of out of the way...).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  15. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Levers are nice for families with younger and older folks; they are easier to operate.

We put in a few oval knobs because I couldn't find a lever that worked in our place. I like the way they look but they annoy me because the locks are these tiny little buttons on the side of what I think you'd call the rose, and they're really easy to push by accident when you're closing the door.

16. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I like the idea of levers. My wife doesn't, but I think planting a seed and touching on it whenever she's trying to carry stuff through doors might fly in the long term.

That said -- does anybody have any experience with dogs figuring out how to work them? If our 50-lb reasonably-clever mutt learns how to open doors, that'd be a problem.

17. Ataturk

How about this--I got a nice shiny (actually not shiny) leverset for the front door, and I notice it seems a little low. I mean, the original one seemed low, but this one is very low because of its shape. Turns out the holes for the door are for knobs and are a solid three inches below the recommended height of the leverset.

I think the door was supposed to be mounted facing a porch that's three inches lower than mine is. The threshold isn't raised up on bricks like you often see. Stupid builders.

I _can_ put the handleset in the deadbolt's hole, drill a new hole for the new deadbolt, fill the old hole and repaint the door... but do I want to? I could get a new door, but hanging a heavy entry door is one of things I _think_ I could do but don't really want to attempt. And of course I don't want to pay someone to install it.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Thing to know about doors with lever style doorknobs...a smart cat can figure out how to open doors. Trust me on this.

19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I see my cat trying to open knobs and she's probably never even seen a lever-style handle...

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I keep hoping I can move into a place with original knobs that can clean up like this:
    [​IMG]

originally like this:
    [​IMG]

but every place seems to have ditched the paint crusted 100 year old hardware for the $10 home depot special which has then become similarly paint-crusted (but cleaning one of them is not very satisfying).