1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Do you think a recirculating hood is better than no hood at all? I'm planning a remodel of a galley kitchen too. Can't put in a vented hood.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

This is a long time off, but I would definitely build the cabinets.

The plus side of the upper cabinets are that they enclose everything and avoid the oil slick. So If I were to do something it would be cabinets rather than shelves because I feel the shelves are impractical.

3. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Maybe, the recirculating hood will have filters to help pull the oil and particles out of the air.

2 people like this.
  4. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I would probably prefer a separated kitchen, but in our small house, I prioritized longer sight lines to avoid the claustrophobia. We have a galley kitchen with upper cabinets, too. I had a more adventurous design which would have incorporated the dining table with a long island projecting out of kitchen into the dining room. Cabinets only on one side of the kitchen with the opposite wall a continuous plane of loveliness. The missus wasn't feeling it because who knows why. I still resent the relatively mundane design we ended up with.

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

You need a recirculating hood with a charcoal filter.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Okay, door company just came and left. Did not pull the trigger on the guest house door but did on two custom steel screen doors for the back of the house. Customized to our design, upgraded hardware, keyed to our existing house, installed and tax all for 4k. I'm shopped other installers but this is a family owned fabricator/installer that's been in business here for 26 years and all their reviews are positive. Some folks down the street used them recently and were happy too. Should have them the beginning of October just in time to enjoy some cool air. :)

8. SkinnyGoomba

Cool, I'm curious as to what they come up with. I have a screen and would like to replace it with something.

9. Piobaire

Just got revised quote for the yard. Fuckers did 3D rendering and a two minute walk thru in both day and night (shows off the extensive lighting and LED installation) and it's oh so tempting. 93k.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Do you think they'd be willing to 3D print that rendering at a 1:1 scale to help make your decision? Might be a longshot but worth asking.

1 person likes this.
  11. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Have you considered you're wasting your money and will always be poor?

3 people like this.
  12. Piobaire

They told me the fee for that is 93k.

Yeah, but sitting in my new spa over Xmas and sipping wine would be fine. Sometimes you justs gotta live, Holmes.

1 person likes this.
  13. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Not that I want to sit in a spa with you, but can I come hang out with you over Xmas? You can adopt me and teach me about wine.

14. SkinnyGoomba

Can't you save up for the next 50 yrs while renting someone else's backyard spa?

4 people like this.
  15. Piobaire

I am running the numbers on this and will send the results to my consultant in Virginia for his guidance.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  16. SkinnyGoomba

Well, I hope they turn out to work well by SW European standards. :D

1 person likes this.
  17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but you want something good. The one built into my microwave is basically useless. The $40 home depot specials probably do equally little unless vented outside.

I had one like this hooked up in ductless mode and it did work. Has both the metal filters that grab oil particles and an activated charcoal on top of that. The metal filters are easily removed and can be placed in the dishwasher. The charcoal filter is mostly just for odors (but probably picks up extra grease too) and would have to be replaced periodically if you want it to work.

I thought it was worth the $170 I paid for it...would have been even better with the ducting, but it did keep a certain amount of oil out of the air.

I hear if you want to be really effective, you gotta go to a chinese store and see what they can do for you. A lot of the ones marketed towards asian cooks even have removable grease cups because they are designed for cooking with a lot of oil. They have probably worked with ductless installs before...

1 person likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Hmmm. Contractor has forwarded me contracts and he's either going to have to make some modifications or we're not doing business. He wants me to waive the implied warranty of good workmanship and also to cap his damages risk to the value of the contract. Having done so many capital projects at work in the last five years I know this is boiler plate, but unless they remove it, I'm not going with them.

19. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

In addition to being boilerplate, it might be completely unenforceable. It really depends on your state's laws, so consult a lawyer licensed in your state.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  20. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

That sounds like a big headache. You don't have someone you've worked with over time?