1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

It is just shitty bagless vacs that have to be emptied so often. I used to have to empty my old hoover upright all of the time even though I only really used it on the area rug in my living room.

Now with my miele s6, I only just switched to my second bag after months of vacuuming, despite the fact that I also vacuum all of the hardwood in addition to the same rug. And that is with their most compact vac model and a pet cat.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I will give you this; you are relentless in trying to convert me so you can have sex with me. While flattering it's also a bit unnerving in its intensity.

Or I could have a central vac installed. ;)

I suspect I might have a bit more square footage to keep clean...and we have two cats, both Siberians. Fucking fur farms.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

How I know I'm getting old: when I catch myself watching Miele vacuum cleaner reviews on YouTube with great interest.

sigh..

1 person likes this.
  4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I'm cladding my bar in walnut, will post pics soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Putting in baseboard in living/dining/hall today

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

I have an electrolux canister vac that cost an arm and a leg (we just had to have one because so-and-so had one) and those little cordless hoovers actually do a better job of pulling dirt out of rugs. They don't filter as well as the HEPA obviously but the canister mostly sits in the closet these days.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Finally got around to doing that bathroom floor. I pulled the old floor up, put the decoupling mat down, the heat cable, installed and wired the thermostat, put in about half the tile -- and then decided at the last minute that I should add a second in-floor thermostat lead just in case. Will have to wait a couple days for it to be delivered. Cut all the rest of the tile already, though, so it's ready to roll as soon as the thermostat gets here.

I have a good wet saw for cutting tile, but running down the stairs and out the house every time I want to make a cut gets old real fast. Should have gotten a cheap manual cutter.

8. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Installing crown molding and medallions . Not sure if I need to do crown molding in the bathroom....will it detach with time from moisture?
    I inherited couffered ceiling and now have to turn it into something less ugly (cannot remove that thing)...[​IMG]

Next will be chair-rail and decorative frames for the walls. I definately hope my walls are straight enough for this.
    Painting the whole thing white afterwards.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you paint before putting up the chair-rail and frames?

10. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Then they would be different color from the walls, which is not the look I am going for.

11. SkinnyGoomba

Mouldings in the ceiling would probably help, it looks like someone decided to do a 'modern' take on a coffered ceiling, which would probably look really cool if it were exposed beams and framing members.

12. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

I am going to go 'full retard' and make arc de triumph out of it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    5 people like this.
  13. SkinnyGoomba

Lol, indeed. A full measure!

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Damn you ice dams! :freeze:

2 people like this.
  15. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

So whose making the best plumbing fixtures these days? I was suggested Waterworks, any other brands I should give consideration?

16. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Well-Known Member

I think Dornbracht makes the best. I am also very fond of Vola's stainless fixtures though theiy don't have a ton of designs.

If you need a bit less expensive Fantini is very good as is Gessi. And if you want more Waterworks priced stuff Hans Grohes Axor line (and regular line actually) are excellent. Their new iBox rough in is awesome.

17. LeatherBoot

oops double

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Thanks, this helps quite a lot. I know the Grohe brand, but those Dornbracht products are very nice.

How do you rate the Waterworks products versus these?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  19. LeatherBoot

Sorry for the rambling:

I have almost no experience with Waterworks. They are well regarded but they don't make very modern looking faucets so I cannot comment.

I just remolded my place and I have Dornbracht in the kitchen and all the bathroom sink faucets are Vola stainless steel and the showers and baths are all Hansgrohe.

Dornbracht in general is regarded as the best (and if California didn't have such strict laws on GPM I would have done all my showers with them) but it is a brand name and you pay for that. Their factory (100% made in Germany) only makes a few products at one time so if you order something that they don't have in stock and isn't currently in production you can wait a long time. They are just coming out with a lot of electronic controls for kitchens and showers. I saw the Porsche Kitchen by Poggenpohl in New York recently and they use Dornbracht faucets with electronic controls for the drain and water temperature.

[​IMG]

Vola basically only has Arne Jacobsen designs from the 1950s (that everyone has now copied...inducing Dornbracht)...Vola is as expensive as Dornbracht and can be more expensive if you go stainless steel. Quality-wise I think they are equal (everything is made in their factory in Denmark) BUT their collections are incomplete in my opinion. If you want a towel bar for instance they pretty much just have one ugly design for their entire range of products.

Hansgrohe (not to be confused with Grohe) is a monster...I suspect they are the largest in the business. They make a lot of their products in China, Canada, and Turkey now in addition to Germany. The Axor line is all made in Germany except for the iBox rough-ins which are made in China. The Axor line products are a step down from Dornbracht though I am sure the function is the same and they have a lot of Philippe Starck designs. For showers the iBox rough is amazing because it can be used with any Hansgrohe trim...so it's one rough for their entire line. It has also been on the market for 10 years so it's been extensively tested.

20. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks. Didn't know Grohe was a different company. I had their stuff when I lived overseason. Next step is to try the products out at some local shops so I'll go to a local retailer and judge them hands on. I have a lot to go on now. Again, thanks.