1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I don't think mulching is a problem unless you have let the grass go really long and/or you are cutting it really short. If there is a lot of growth to cut down, you should probably either bag or do it in two passes with your mower at two different heights.

2. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Well-Known Member

This. Mulching is a great way to suffocate your lawn, unless you enjoy cutting it every other day.

Every Spring, run a power rake through the grass and pull up all the thatch that compacted over the winter. I've found that to be one of the single most important things you can do for your lawn.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I don't know about that...mowing once a week in peak growing season should still be plenty good for mulching (at least with Midwestern lawns)

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Here in the deep south thatch is never an issue, at least not with the centipede lawns most people have.

Soil compaction, on the other hand, is, so lawns really benefit from aeration (with the serious machines that take plugs out, not the crummy DIY tools that poke holes in the ground).

5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

So not these?

[​IMG]

lefty

6. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Well-Known Member

Could definitely be a regional thing. The grass here in the PacNW tends to be extremely thick if properly taken care of. If I mulched, I'd need to cut it 2 or 3 times a week or it would really start to pile up. Almost everyone in my neighborhood uses a yard waste bin to get rid of clippings.

I use a plug-in mower that I bought from Sears about 5 years ago. It's served me well, but could use some more power.

7. Ataturk

Not those, no. This works pretty well, though.

[​IMG]

8. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Well-Known Member

I'm happy with my Honda self propelled mower on my mix of Bermuda and Zoysia. I only bag the clippings when I scalp in the spring. Otherwise, I just mulch.

The bane of my lawn is controlling chamber bitter. Such a pain to manage.

9. zatarregaza

zatarregaza Well-Known Member

Mulching is the way to go. Be sure to raise the mowing height as well. You'll have fewer clippings and won't leave clumps of grass behind. Mowing high is good for the roots as well. This whole method of mulching your clippings fits in with the organic way of caring for your lawn.
    I've been following this method the last few years after one of my dogs started having seizures the day the city sprayed for mosquitoes. I don't know if this is any better for the dogs, but as of last summer my lawn definitely looked better than it had in the 7 years I've lived here.

Go to http://www.dirtdoctor.com/ to find out more about it. This guy is local to Dallas and promotes this method as a cleaner, less toxic way of caring for your lawn.

10. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Where can I buy the wavy glass for shower cabin?
    [​IMG]

11. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

That's a great application, but in day to day use that stuff is tacky.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

I like it as glass for cabinet fronts

13. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    That is a good idea , about cabinets. I will consider that.
    IMO, corrugated glass is good material for shower cabin , it does not show water spots and calcium and provides for a bit of privacy. I hate my current shower cabin it is like a fish-tank with spotty glass.

14. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

I recently had a new shower enclosure fitted. It's clear glass but claims to have some sort of coating that prevents limescale spots. Been about 6 months so far and seems to be working (gets cleaned weekly in any case).

15. Ataturk

A lot of trends these days are toward less practical things -- just off the top of my head, clear glass, gigantic bath tubs, small mirrors, porous stone surfaces, brushed hardware and faucets, etc.

16. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Seriously, clear glass, what a fucking waste.

1 person likes this.
  17. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Waste of what? Glass?

I don't think I've ever had anything other than clear or substantially clear glass shower doors/enclosures. I don't think it's a new thing. And it looks great.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Would be nice to be able to avoid doors all together, but I like to hang out in the steam.

Seems to be the topic of discussion lately, my wife wants to renovate the bathroom and has been obsessed with carrara marble. I like the gray varieties of it.

19. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I have family who did their bathroom in marble. It was a mix of whites and grays. I really liked it other than it didn't fit with the rest of the house.

As for glass, when in Paris I really liked the shower setup in our hotel. It had an area for the shower with a large glass pane blocking a lot of where the water would splash out about maybe 5ft up total then it was sort of walk out at the end of the shower without the shower head. Shower curtains are worthless and I don't know how I feel about sliding doors. Maybe doors that open and close with a pivot but that is all.

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

My parents' master bath is mostly black and gray marble. It looks great even after 20+ years and they tell me the upkeep is very reasonable, except when they cracked the edge of the sink