1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit (film series)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by deadly7, Dec 20, 2011.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

Saw the 2D version. Thought it was well done and well paced but it definitely lacked the organic feel of the first 3 films. It looked video-gamey, hyper-realistic, and very CGI in an original clash of the titans way. I plan to see the 3D but I'm disappointed the realism and grit of the other films seems to have been lost.

2. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

Guy next to me kept snorting and laughing like this:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

for every single little joke throughout the movie. :fu:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I saw it and enjoyed it.

I think the 3D added to some scenes. Mostly the ones with nice scenery like Rivendale, goblin cave, and the grasslands where Ragaghast distracted the Orcs.

The HFR is a mixed bag. It makes the 3D seem a lot more clean in action scenes, but for everything else it gives it a quality that makes it look like a Soap Opera or something you would see on the Nat Geo channel. It takes away from the fantasy wonderment. Noticing more details is not always a good thing either. It makes the special effects less real, and even small stuff like the fake hair on some of the characters stand out as fake. I've read some reviews that said the LotR Orcs looked better. I can't decide if they had better Orc, or if the HFR just made them look more fake. The Elves looked great. I loved how the Elf King looked in the opening.

This makes me worried for how Smaug will look. In the little glimpse we had, he looked too animated. This would be very easy to avoid with a dragon. If he was covered in scales and had a chitinous appearance, that's easy to look convincing with CGI, but they made him a bright red and leathery.

The Dwarfs were too cartoonish. Gimli in the LotR never looked cartoonish. I'm sure they could have found a way to make them all look less silly. Even the more normal looking ones like Bofur and Kili still looked silly because of the dumb costumes, like the hat with wings.

4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Did not like this.

Hated the HFR which made the movie look like a BBC production with a decent art dept budget. I found it one of the most visually distracting movies I ever experienced. It annoyed me so much that I had trouble following the story. Which is probably good as it was disjointed and poorly plotted. It was almost as if there were two movies - one that tried to stick to the spirit of the book as a kid's book, and the other that felt it necessary to pad the movie with great swaths of exposition from the silmarillion.

EFX were mostly terrible, especially the goblins. Whoever had the idea of patterning the goblin king after the gungan king should be fired. Radagast was fucking idiotic. Rivendell looked like a matte painting of the Emerald City. Again with the bloody eagles?

This didn't even seem like a Peter Jackson movie.

Here's where it gets interesting. I walked into a 2D screening right after and stayed for the goblin scene. All of a sudden the movie came to life. The characters seemed more realistic and the action better, though still a little awkward and forced. Now I'm going to have to go back and see the 2D just to watch the movie.

There were 10 times as many people in the 2D as opposed to the 3D. I hope that bodes well for dropping this shit.

lefty

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I hate 3D and IMAX. Makes me dizzy and also more expensive.

I asked the ticket girl what HFR was and she had no clue, babbling on and on......so I did not bother.

Good ol' 2D for me.

6. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

On a plus side, the score is yet again amazing. Howard Shore did a splendid job carrying themes from LotR into Hobbit.

7. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

Saw the movie on Friday night. Opted for the standard non-3D version.

I quite enjoyed the movie. Like others have stated, the first hour (felt longer) was pretty slow. The dialogue seemed pretty choppy. The "meeting" of the party members carried on far too long. I understand the reasoning of introducing the characters and their personalities, but I felt they could have done that throughout the film, or even the trilogy. After that, the plot picks up, and the action begins pretty quickly.

Visually, the film is gorgeous. The score is beautiful. And I felt Martin Freeman did a great job in the role of Bilbo.

8. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Loved it.

There are parts that drag on, but hey, it's Peter Jackson and I was expecting it.

I watched it in 3d and didn't experience any of the visual concerns others seem to be. It looked great to me.

Some of the action scenes get a little bit over the top - if you can recall Legolas taking out an entire Oliphaunt in Return of the King, there were parts that induced that type of cringe. But that was a minor gripe.

Martin Freeman as Bilbo was an inspired choice. Gollum was superb again. Gandalf too.

9. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

you're from N.Z. though, you have to like it.

1 person likes this.
  10. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't stand our sickly insecure teenage girl-like brand of patriotism.

1 person likes this.
  11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

Killing a few hours before I have to be at my parents and watching this in HFR

12. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

I'm of two minds on this movie.

1. Part of me loved it because of the tie-in of material from the appendices and the Silmarillion. It was really interesting seeing all of the stuff put together, and I think it made sense to non-Tolkien fans. Also, Martin Freeman was an awesome Bilbo.

2. Another part of me understands the complaint that it dragged on. You get the feeling not a lot happened, but hopefully it picks up during the second and third movies.

Saw it in 2D. Manton, your daughter won't be scared if she sat through Harry Potter. There only remotely frightening parts are with Azog the Destroyer, and that's only cause he looks evil.

13. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

It took me about 5 minutes to adjust to HFR. At first it seemed like everything was in fast forward after I adjusted it was quite enjoyable.

If you haven't seen it yet i recommend doing so in HFR

14. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

I saw it for the second time. Perhaps it's just because I'm not used to HFR, but for me it detracted from the feel of the movie. It looked more like video than film--it almost seemed like a cheap LOTR TV special. Other than that, though, it was great the second time as well.

15. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Saw this on opening night and it was a very well made and entertaining story from start to finish, so F all the haters.

And 2d ftw.

16. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Finally saw this one. Enjoyed it, and appreciated being transported back to MIddle Earth - but the film wasn't as all-encompassing and wondrous as a first-time viewing of The Fellowship. More than I would have liked, it felt cheesy, and overall just lacked a je ne sais quoi. Did see it in 3D - orcs didn't look as real being CGI rather than costumes. Also, far too much of Gandalf shouting, "RUN!" for my taste.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  17. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

Only okay. Thirty minutes too long and a bit boring to start.

18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I really liked the movie, and I'm speaking as a Tolkien geek. The lighting, or the film speed, made some of the scenes look claustrophobic - and no, I'm not talking about the cave scenes! Secondly, I was disappointed in the way the goblins were created - they looked to large and menacing as if they were Uruk-hai, but then again we are dealing with the perspective of Hobbits and Dwarves. But I still have these expectations that the Goblins were more crude and less menacing.

19. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

How so? The goblins under the Misty Mountains were mostly small. They looked very different from the orcs (like Azog the Destroyer) that were hunting the dwarves.

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the HFR 3D. My favourite scene utilizing it was surprisingly the meeting between Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman, and Gandalf in Rivendell. Waterfalls everywhere! :nodding:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012