• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we can wind down this discussion after this next picture. Shirt: A $120 MTM shirt from CEGO. I agree with everyone on the form. As with other shirts, it looks much baggier than it feels. If I want to look like a magazine, I probably need to get it altered again, but I am not sure how much slimmer it can be while still being functional. (writing with a pen, etc) Pants: The pants are 10" low rise slim fit, hanging off my hips. My belly button is above that bottom button. If you wear slimmer/lower all the power to you. But, I can't go any slimmer than this. I actually have to sit in these. This is as good as it gets for me. You must consider that the pocket opening flare makes the pants look deceptively wide in 2D. Jacket: Agreed, this Canali is not flattering at all, in any way. To me, it looks even worse when buttoned. I will need to figure out what parameters to work with on my next jacket. (You need to say more than "make it slim", esp. with an old tailor) I have not spent time developing knowledge about jacket fit ...as I have on pants and shirt fit. My belly button is 1cm below the top button. Where should it be? As you know, recognizing something that looks good (Like the Zara suit above) vs. knowing how to specify how to get that look are very very different concepts. I also think a jacket makes you look shorter, as there is much more grey "leg line" without the jacket. Thanks again to those who have offered accurate & constructive advice.
binudc.jpg

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I think we can settle this discussion after the next picture.

Shirt:
#1 has my $120 MTM shirt from CEGO.
While it feels reasonably snug when wearing it, I think it looks bad in this picture.
I probably need to get it altered again.

Pants:
The pants are 10" low rise slim fit, hanging off my hips.
If you wear slimmer/lower all the power to you.
But, I don't go any slimmer than this. I actually have to sit in these.

Jacket: Agreed, not flattering at all.
Looks even worse when buttoned.

2vmx6ys.jpg

laugh.gif

dsmolken

Reaction score
(That suit would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago)
That's what makes it trendy and youthful, isn't it? The departures from timeless style or even from last year's trends.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I would have liked to know why it would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago, but is somehow okay now. MC people are nit pickers but they're also sticks in the mud.

edit: deleted joke calling MC'ers old

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I would have liked to know why it would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago, but is somehow okay now. MC people are nit pickers but they're also sticks in the mud.
Eason, Jackets of that length were routinely and uniformy dismissed as too short. It was one of the first things I learned on SF. Here is an example thread from about 9 months ago: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=61

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since when is it impossible to sit in slim pants? maybe you're so used to loose clothing that stuff that is more of a regular fit feels slim to you? earlier today i grabbed some old trousers from my closet that are like two sizes too small now (pretty much skin tight in the legs) and I can sit down fine in them. no bursting seams, and no spandex/lycra blend in the pants.
Eason, Jackets of that length were routinely and uniformy dismissed as too short. It was one of the first things I learned on SF. Here is an example thread from about 9 months ago: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=61
so what? if you want to dress young you're not going to be able to apply the MC rules for a classically tailored business suit.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we can wind down this discussion after this next picture.

Shirt:
A $120 MTM shirt from CEGO.
I agree with everyone on the form.
As with other shirts, it looks much baggier than it feels.
If I want to look like a magazine, I probably need to get it altered again,
but I am not sure how much slimmer it can be while still being functional. (writing with a pen, etc)

Pants:
My belly button is above that bottom button.
But, I can't go any slimmer than this.
I actually have to sit in these.
This is as good as it gets for me.
You must consider that the pocket opening flare makes the pants look deceptively wide in 2D.

Jacket:
Agreed, this Canali is not flattering at all, in any way.
To me, it looks even worse when buttoned.
I will need to figure out what parameters to work with on my next jacket. (You need to say more than "make it slim", esp. with an old tailor)
I have not spent time developing knowledge about jacket fit ...as I have on pants and shirt fit.
My belly button is 1cm below the top button. Where should it be?
As you know, recognizing something that looks good (Like the Zara suit above) vs. knowing how to specify how to get that look are very very different concepts.
I also think a jacket makes you look shorter, as there is much more grey "leg line" without the jacket.

Thanks again to those who have offered accurate & constructive advice.

binudc.jpg

The jacket looks a bit boxy, but my impression is that the main problem is that the outfit looks a bit booring. Really.
I do not say that there aren't jobs that demands "booring" clothing, but when it comes to your leasure time (which I would not spend in a "sports bar", but that is just me) I think that maybe you should consider something more, well, you know what I mean...

essej

Reaction score
Lets start by losing the jacket and rolling up those shirt sleeves. Then do something about those shoes.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we can wind down this discussion after this next picture.

Shirt:
A $120 MTM shirt from CEGO.
I agree with everyone on the form.
As with other shirts, it looks much baggier than it feels.
If I want to look like a magazine, I probably need to get it altered again,
but I am not sure how much slimmer it can be while still being functional. (writing with a pen, etc)

Pants:
My belly button is above that bottom button.
But, I can't go any slimmer than this.
I actually have to sit in these.
This is as good as it gets for me.
You must consider that the pocket opening flare makes the pants look deceptively wide in 2D.

Jacket:
Agreed, this Canali is not flattering at all, in any way.
To me, it looks even worse when buttoned.
I will need to figure out what parameters to work with on my next jacket. (You need to say more than "make it slim", esp. with an old tailor)
I have not spent time developing knowledge about jacket fit ...as I have on pants and shirt fit.
My belly button is 1cm below the top button. Where should it be?
As you know, recognizing something that looks good (Like the Zara suit above) vs. knowing how to specify how to get that look are very very different concepts.
I also think a jacket makes you look shorter, as there is much more grey "leg line" without the jacket.

Thanks again to those who have offered accurate & constructive advice.

binudc.jpg

Dude, these clothes look too big. You are in good shape, why do you want to hide yourself in baggy, bland clothes? I don't get it.

Mike

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you read the thread, I was more than receptive to ACCURATE advice & discussion.
Which means, advice that you agree with. This isn't all that uncommon, lots of folks start forum threads in the form of a question in hopes of getting people to confirm what they already know/believe in. They aren't really looking for advice, but rather validation. For example:
Dawg, Thanks for the feedback, but I respectfully disagree.
Shocker!!
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Dude, don't start these threads if you're not receptive to feedback. You have a long history of doing this. It gets tiresome.
Much more succinct.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
You are poorly dressed, and will always look like **** because you can't take advice and lack the ability to recognize that you lack taste at the moment.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads