1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Planning to watch at least five films next week.

Bright Star by Jane Campion

Hard to be a God by Aleksei German

Winter Sleep by Nuri Bilge Ceylan

Notebook on Cities and Clothes by Wim Wenders

My Dinner with Andre by Louis Malle

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. accordion

Watched "Hard to be a God by Aleksei German and "Force Majeure" by Ruben Östlund.

Hard to be a God - Interesting interpretation of pre-psychological culture, surreal, probably not enough gore. Don't think the Middle Ages were as backward as German imagined.

Force Majeure - Manages to recreate the perspective of the intelligent observer as in Haneke's films. Still shots, lots of details in each. I really didn't think the subject was that interesting, kind of a subpar Haneke imitation.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Well-Known Member

A Touch of Zen

1 person likes this.
  5. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it but kinda looks a bit (probably superficially) like a cross between On the Silver Globe and Andrei Rublev / Marketa Lazarova and Marketa Lazarova is definitely worth tracking down

6. boozwah

boozwah Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know if he is making a blanket statement about the Middle Ages being backwards, but maybe the movie captures a more general feeling of the slow and messy progress of humanity and the many regressions that happen along the way. The movie was much more internally focused on the main character than I expected. Still an interesting movie and impressive cinematography despite how "gross" the movie and its depiction of life was. Definitely looked and felt a lot like Andrei Rublev.

7. accordion

I just felt the film portrayed a much more primitive kind of human life than the supposed setting, which is an alien world roughly 800 years behind Earth, so the Dark Ages. I think most of it is just German's style. I'm less interested in the mud and bodily fluids than the incomprehensible dialogue, characters constantly going in and out of frame and looking at the camera, the lack of reaction to violence and cruelty, objects constantly blocking the audience's line of sight, and just the generally strange and grotesque behavior of all the characters. My immediate impression of the film after watching it was of a world that had not yet developed an inner life, or psyche, eventually consuming the main character who came from the future, had experienced civilized culture and did possess a psychological state. German has an exceptionally strong aesthetic for portraying such a pre-psychological society. I just found it a little too backward.

8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Mad Max...wow, I might be able to say right now in May that this will be my favorite movie of the year. If it is available to you, I highly recommend IMAX 3D. Only wish Mel would of had some sort of cameo

[​IMG]

9. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Narcos was alright, bit heavy on the info dumping but that's unavoidable (omnipresent voiceover was annoying but a smart choice in the end, funny how the supposed main protagonist ends up spending most of the series on the sidelines as powerless observer, meta). Wagner Moura is great. Half way through Show Me a Hero, so far so very good. Feels like I'm going through the entire Springsteen discography with the soundtrack tho, been warned. Bastard Executioner is the limpest piece of shit show I've seen in a long while, rubbish through and through. Can't wait for The Knick to return, best thing that happened to tv in the last couple years

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  10. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

+100000000

Fresh off the Boat is also surprisingly good

11. accordion

The girl in Show Me a Hero is cute, otherwise I was bored.

Best film I saw in the past few months was Queen of the Earth. Not a lot of good films in general though.

12. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Bored by the subject or by the way it was told or both ? Yeah I want to see that film.

KoY, I'll give it a watch, thx. Haven't started the 2nd season but comedy-wise the first season of Review (comedy central) was a lot of fun.

13. accordion

Bored by the archetypal hero plot (against a really complex socialeconomic backstory) and the protagonist actor, direction was good.

To clarify, Oscar Issac is a boring fucking actor, he showed a bit of flair in Llewyn Davis then just typical Hollywood lead man BS in rest of his films. I liked him in Ex Machina but not in anything since.

1 person likes this.
  14. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Agree somewhat about the archetypal arc(s) (though I'd say he's more of a antihero so far), halfway through you can pretty much tell where this is heading (I'm guessing, not super familiar with the backstory) and the side stories feel tacked on and unfairly underdeveloped at this point (with only 6hours total, I kinda feel like it might have been better to do away with them completely and focus on the inner workings of municipal government, pathos be damned. grasp all lose all, all that). Maybe the problem is that it's a bit of an Oscar Isaacs' vehicle parading as something more ?

Still need to catch up on Llewyn Davis. Liked him in Ex Machina too, role allowed him to stretch some, then again I liked him in A Most Violent Year too which is as classic as it gets (though the protagonist in itself is a nice twist on the New Hollywood archetype). But I like boring so...

15. kindofyoung

Review sounds very much like something I'll like and hadn't even heard of it before so thank you too.

Speaking of comedy, I wholeheartedly recommend "You're the Worst". Probably my favorite comedy-series ever and a nice change from the majority of other more "silly" comedy series.

For silly comedy though, besides Fresh off the Boat, I'm also happy Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back.

16. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

I only watched the first episode of Fresh off the Boat and didn't like it at all, wasn't it all just tired asian stereotype jokes but supposed to be funny because asian people are saying them?

17. kindofyoung

I actually thought that would be the case from some description or brief trailer I had seen (which is why I haven't started watching until now), but now I really think it's more than that.

In the first few episodes then yes you are definitely correct that there are plenty stereotypes about the family, but where the series succeeds imo is that it ridicules everyone else equally or even more, in a way both proving the series self-awareness and how ridiculous the aforemented typical asian stereotypes are.

Besides this there is still originality and small but fun "twists" to most characters, some of which get shown early and some others later on.

Throw on top of that in some pretty decent performances from the actors and lots of small jokes and references, you get a series that atleast in my opinion is way way better than you'd guess from the first few minutes and just gets better for each episode

Edit: I also think it's partially based one of the co-writers or something like that and his/hers family? Idk I usually cringe at bad stereotypes and tired clichés but I enjoy this.

Also Danny Brown does the intro track so that's cool.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  18. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

Normally dread the idea of a film adaptation of any book i like but I'm excited about Omer Fast's adaptation of 'Remainder' and Ben Wheatley's of 'High Rise', seeing both this weekend.
    is 'the martian' any good?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Well, fuck. RIP Chantal Akerman

4 people like this.
  20. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]