1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Zeemon

Zeemon Well-Known Member

if you like the prestige, "the illusionist" is pretty good too

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying but if you like the prestige, you'll like the slop any filmmaker is serving you.

3 people like this.
  3. RXS09

RXS09 Well-Known Member

My favorite movie, and one that I could definitely see you enjoying, is The Fall.
    Ah, just saw @g transistor recommended it too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Just saw Interstellar, liked it a lot

5. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Well-Known Member

Me too. I love the idea that you can travel through space and slow down time, and when you get back everyone has aged and you haven't. I know it's not a new idea, but I always like it.

1 person likes this.
  6. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

To refer back to Fuuma's unnecessarily uncharitable post, Nolan is one of the better filmmakers working in the mainstream today (I don't mind damning him with faint praise), and Prestige is undoubtedly one of his better films (alongside Memento, and, in my opinion, nothing else worth remarking upon outside of Ledger's performance in TDK).

You can't legitimately equate his high water mark with the outright garbage of Transformers, G.I. Joe and Fast Five.

That said, Interstellar is deeply inferior to The Prestige as anything but a vehicle for the special effects -- which are serviceable, but hardly memorable. It's a vacuous echo of Solaris and 2001 with a side helping of laughable metaphysics (referring to transcendental love, not time dilation, which Nolan already served up in Inception) that sabotages the much-vaunted input of theoretical physicists on the effects sequences and plot.

It's got slick production values in place of a soul, just like every other Nolan film. He should be grateful to get such talented casts -- speaking of which, McConaughey was quite good, Chastain was good, (I'm getting sick of seeing Michael Caine dragged into every Nolan project,) Hathaway was less believable as a scientist than she was as Catwoman (even before her hilarious speech about love), though I think the script just introduced her very poorly -- and Matt Damon was awful. I'm always happy to see John Lithgow getting work (he is amazing live on stage), but he hasn't had a properly meaty part in quite a while.

Hans Zimmer's music is the best thing in the film.

:lurk:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Well-Known Member

just saw birdman for the second time. monotonous and thrilling. i was put into a trance by the end, emotionally numb and aware of how my socks felt against my feet.

8. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Excuse the pun here but Jessica Chastain is a singularity of infinitely dense garbage. The only draw for me was the rendering of the black hole without the addition of special effects, as in all these claims that it was simply some very accurate numerical solutions to general relativity equations. I could suffer through hours of cliched Nolan for that, but if Chastain plays any major role id rather jump into the black hole

Irrationality aside, the drivel you listed in comparison to Nolan would elevate a second rate curry festival production to a National Theatre Shakespearean production level.

All in all, I think you've outlined a pretty realistic expectation for me and I'm considering just watching it when it's available without the extortionist fees of cinemas to pass some time. I honestly have more fun going through Leonard Susskind lectures on YouTube than watching most movies so I guess I'm a nerd like that.

9. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

I think she's a good actress, not enough redheads in the mainstream. She was good in Take Shelter.

To watch list for next week:

Deux jours, une nuit AKA Two Days, One Night by Dardenne brothers

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles by Chantal Akerman

Kes by Ken Loach

Saw Gone Girl just cuz, not bad, would've been better if someone like Von Trier directed it instead; the story calls for a director more ruthless than David Fincher, who's "bleakest" film was Seven.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

Dude, you could have mentioned any other chastain movie but you had to go with "Take Shelter"... that "performance" of hers is the definition of wooden acting. She doesn´t really convey much to me in general.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Well those are just fighting words right there. In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that ever since Justin Lin took over the franchise each film is made with an eye towards the "Grindhouse" effect. When you think about them from that standpoint, in that they are creating ridiculousness for the purpose of their audience appreciating how ridiculous it is, they are far more enjoyable.

Love him as the heavy in Ricochet and Cliffhanger.

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Stanley Kubrick's use of red. Not an in-depth examination or anything but fun to watch. Would love to see one on his use of symmetry. [VIDEO]
    Red: A Kubrick Supercut from Rishi Kaneria on Vimeo.
    [/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  13. RXS09

RXS09 Well-Known Member

Certainly not wrong there. It was a fun watch, definitely not my favorite Nolan film though

14. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

so i just went and saw interstellar. just seemed like pseudointellectual sewage (transcendental love, 5-dimensional beings, atemporal communication, a/retrocausality, metaphysics blahblahblah) trying to elevate a lacking story line--why was the earth going to hell in a handbasket anyway, why didn't anyone set out to study the dust storms that kept ruining the crops, how did the big plan A spaceship work if Caine's equations were wrong but Chastain solved them, which would probably mean building a new ship, what was Matt Daemon's brilliant plan after having given up on life .....--into a feel good layer of horsecrap by abusing even my rudimentary understanding of physics. the first hour or so showed potential as the plot was building up, once they entered the wormhole the toilet was being flushed. and i didn't think @GoldenTribe's analysis of Hathaway was serious but then began her babbling nonsense and she managed to outdo chastain.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  15. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

There's this chick who's really into Jean-Luc Nancy and Jacques Rancière who was hanging out with the Olivier Zahm crew, she was apparently quite depressed about her life. You should be watching films by Tariq Teguia and you're going to see Interstellar, don't fucking complain you had a bad experience!!

16. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

I liked Interstellar. Saw it at Imax :)

17. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Well-Known Member

Maybe anything with Christopher Doyle as a cinematogropher?
    e.g. Wong Kar-wei's 2046:

[​IMG]

If you want something a bit nuts, try the Holy Mountain:

[​IMG]

18. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

I think you definitely can equate Nolan's stuff to Transformers, etc; it's essentially the same stuff repackaged into a different form for a different audience. Nolan plays very well with the young-ish, "intellectual" crowd, you know, mod houses, wine, coffee shops, reading Proust in public. His work is Transformers for people who want to be taken seriously or at least want to come off as serious people. The Prestige and his earlier works aren't exceptions to this either-- they've always been action-thriller-dramas catered towards people who may like to dabble in overexposed "thinking" concepts filled with all the tropes you'd expect from an action film.

Does that make him a bad filmmaker? I don't think so, I think he has his place in entertainment and can be highly enjoyable with the right mindset, and if you compare him to other mainstream acclaimed directors (Coens, PTA, etc etc) it's very easy to see what I'm talking about.

I don't understand why anyone would go to a Nolan movie expecting anything deeply philosophical explorations, but if you go in expecting an action movie with some neat little "huh interesting" tidbits then he's much more enjoyable.

That said, I really enjoyed McConaughey, why the fuck was Matt Damon even in the movie, scientifically/philosophically maybe not the most stimulating thing, but enjoyable. Visuals were definitely a treat on Imax tho

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  19. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Nolan makes science fiction films, science fiction belongs to speculative fiction, which usually lies outside of the literary canon. I like Insomnia, I thought that was Nolan's best movie. Otherwise I think his work appeals to a much younger audience than we imagine, mainly people who are only into speculative fiction; fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc, which means they're probably not intellectuals.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  20. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I think there's a big difference between the intent of a movie like Transformers and your average Nolan film. To me, the point of a movie like Transformers is to create a product and surround that product with a brief fleeting intense media blitz in order to transfer wealth from consumers to studios/Bay/Wahlberg. Twenty years from now NOBODY is going to remember that this movie existed and certainly no one will still be watching it.

Whereas with Nolan, at least he has a story that he feels is important to get out of his head and put onto film. Are they good stories? That's for you to decide. Transformers has no interest in creating anything resembling a relevant narrative.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just trying to justify my own sense of self importance by disagreeing with your analysis.

I do agree with this, however.