1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Fall of Civilization

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by android, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

WTF? Do you even know the meaning of the words you're using? The requisition of the gentry? Do we go down to the PX and fill out a form?

c'mon Avnish, you're lowering my high opinion of Westminster.

2. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Well-Known Member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    (jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,13:02) Immigration makes a society because it enforces the requisition of the gentry and aristocracy. If a country has no gentry, or they kill off the gentry, there is no possibility of immigration re-enforcing this.
    WTF? Â Do you even know the meaning of the words you're using? Â The requisition of the gentry? Â Do we go down to the PX and fill out a form? c'mon Avnish, you're lowering my high opinion of Westminster.
    Requisition = request = call for The public will request the gentry to be more prevalent, makes sense to me. I do not understand the second part of your post.

3. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,13:02)
    I will attempt to clarify: 1. If there are more immigrants in the UK, a new society, one that is individual to the UK will be established. 2. I assume you are familiar with the Conservative Party's basic ideologies, if you are, I am sure this point is self-evident. 3. Once again, civilisation refers to society, not culture, thus gentry plays a vital role in a "˜society'. Once again linking back to the immigrant point, if there are more immigrants the gentry gains a stronger role.
    the "society" of england in the 19th and 20th centuries is not distinct enough for you? and, if immigration makes a "society" - what about the US, where almost everybody is descended from an immigrant, and immigrants have come from every corner of the world? why doens't that make a "new society" in your book?

Not in my book; its actually common knowledge. I have already stated the British society of 18th / 19th century means nothing, because it was simply a derivation of Wessex. Immigration makes a society because it enforces the requisition of the gentry and aristocracy. If a country has no gentry, or they kill off the gentry, there is no possibility of immigration re-enforcing this. Please attend some history classes if you covet to further your knowledge on the topic.
    this certainly makes sense, now. and how about beduin civilization - can you explain what makes that a civilization?
    Bedouin is close to/is a civilisation because there is a distinct social order in their society, and there are obvious classes, leaders etc. Sure, in terms of culture and technology, they are nowhere, but they are a civilisation in the strictest sense.

4. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

(globetrotter @ April 26 2005,13:06)
    I will attempt to clarify: 1. If there are more immigrants in the UK, a new society, one that is individual to the UK will be established. 2. I assume you are familiar with the Conservative Party's basic ideologies, if you are, I am sure this point is self-evident. 3. Once again, civilisation refers to society, not culture, thus gentry plays a vital role in a "˜society'. Once again linking back to the immigrant point, if there are more immigrants the gentry gains a stronger role.
    the "society" of england in the 19th and 20th centuries is not distinct enough for you? and, if immigration makes a "society" - what about the US, where almost everybody is descended from an immigrant, and immigrants have come from every corner of the world? why doens't that make a "new society" in your book?

Not in my book; its actually common knowledge. I have already stated the British society of 18th / 19th century means nothing, because it was simply a derivation of Wessex. Immigration makes a society because it enforces the requisition of the gentry and aristocracy. If a country has no gentry, or they kill off the gentry, there is no possibility of immigration re-enforcing this. Please attend some history classes if you covet to further your knowledge on the topic.

this certainly makes sense, now. and how about beduin civilization - can you explain what makes that a civilization?
    Bedouin is close to/is a civilisation because there is a distinct social order in their society, and there are obvious classes, leaders etc. Sure, in terms of culture and technology, they are nowhere, but they are a civilisation in the strictest sense.
    You are making less and less sense as this thread continues. The US, UK, etc. certainly have identifiable social classes and leaders - why aren't they civilized? Can you give us a coherent, one paragraph definition of "civilization" as you understand the term?

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

ok, well it was fun playing along, but I think that you might want to run back to your dorm room and your fantasies now.

should you graduate high school, and maybe get a little education into you, maybe we can have this talk again.

6. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

It is depressing to observe that there is still a scrap of truth to the old rancid chestnut (to paraphrase the Duke of Windsor) "Only the poor learn at public school".

7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess that this is the beginning of a flaming end.

8. jmswentworth

If you were even close to what I am, your comment may have some weight.

Except, judging from your rudimentary knowledge, you are not, so ta-ta for now.

9. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

I've never been so confused in my life. What the hell are you people teaching kids these in the UK?

10. jmswentworth

What does that mean?

11. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

It means that you're an ignorant twit.

12. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

I'll make it easy for you jm.
    I guess I didn't get the memo but when did it become popular to redefine words? First it was what "is" means, now this? Good grief.

13. jmswentworth

Right. Thanks for that.

14. jmswentworth

15. jmswentworth

16. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

(globetrotter @ April 26 2005,13:20) ok, well it was fun playing along, but I think that you might want to run back to your dorm room and your fantasies now. should you graduate high school, and maybe get a little education into you, maybe we can have this talk again.
    If you were even close to what I am, your comment may have some weight. Except, judging from your rudimentary knowledge, you are not, so ta-ta for now.
    hmmm, what exactly are you, aside from a little boy whose ancestors happened to have parked their goats in the right place at the time somebody with an education came by and discovered oil?

17. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
    Yes, civilization includes both culture and society, but how do you get from that to "requisition of the gentry"? I'm still waiting for the complete jmswentworth definition of "civilization."

18. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,13:23)
    ok, well it was fun playing along, but I think that you might want to run back to your dorm room and your fantasies now. should you graduate high school, and maybe get a little education into you, maybe we can have this talk again.
    If you were even close to what I am, your comment may have some weight. Except, judging from your rudimentary knowledge, you are not, so ta-ta for now.
    hmmm, what exactly are you, aside from a little boy whose ancestors happened to have parked their goats in the right place at the time somebody with an education came by and discovered oil?
    I am not Arab, I am a British Regent. My partner is Lebanese. I am 31, so not much of a 'little boy' I have no link with oil, except for the fact that my bank is funded with money from my partner's family's money; which is the result of oil. Where are these assumptions coming from?

19. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,13:36) Quote The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
    Yes, civilization includes both culture and society, but how do you get from that to "requisition of the gentry"? Â I'm still waiting for the complete jmswentworth definition of "civilization."[/quote] Simple enough, there is no society in the US. There is no understanding of social class.

20. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,13:23)
    ok, well it was fun playing along, but I think that you might want to run back to your dorm room and your fantasies now. should you graduate high school, and maybe get a little education into you, maybe we can have this talk again.
    You seem awfully insecure about your education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.