1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Desktop PC Building Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AR_Six, Jul 23, 2010.

1. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

u r doing it wrong.

+1

2. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread took me back to 1999....

Desktops, lol.

Lol obviously you dont game.

And next time a mac can play BF3 or any other recent game in full graphics settings, or even at all please PM me.

3. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

He's a Mac guy....nuff said. Probably is guffawing at "lol desktops" because his needs can be more than served with an iPhone or a netbook. Anyway, I shouldn't talk trash the "lol desktop" attitude is making prices nice and low for those of us who like power [​IMG]

4. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

where can i get a dual/triple screen monitor stand for a decent price?

5. imschatz

imschatz Well-Known Member

6. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

7. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

Going to bump this.

Newly built desktop rig won't re-start windows 7 correctly. 4th time reinstalling everything. Not sure what the problem is and I am not a tech person. It occurs every time after I install drivers for my video card.

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "won't restart correctly?" What EXACTLY is happening?

9. Prada_Ferragamo

The transition between start windows page and the log on page (username/password) takes about 20 minutes. Usually the log on page appears immediately after windows 7 starting page disappears, but somehow that's not the case after I installed the video card drivers.

10. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Sorry for being obvious, but you have the right, most up to date drivers right, from the website and not the CD that came w/ the card?

And, you have enough wattage in your PSU to pump whatever video card that is?

11. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

Sorry for being obvious, but you have the right, most up to date drivers right, from the website and not the CD that came w/ the card?

And, you have enough wattage in your PSU to pump whatever video card that is?

+1

Also sometimes it takes a while for me. However, I just restart my comp and its fast as usual. Someone with more expertise can chime in though.

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Sounds like the drivers are the issue if that's what's fucked you up. Try either using the most up to date, or even rolling them back to a previous edition. What they don't tell you is that often, the newest releases are fraught with problems.

13. Prada_Ferragamo

I have tried with drivers that came with the CD and the drivers from the website (both nvidia and MSI). Neither have worked.
    This is what I am running:

Asus sabertooth P67 motherboard
    MSI Geforce GTX 460 Hawk
    1 TB Seagate harddrive
    4 GB Corsair Ram
    650W power supply.

I use the downloaded versions for my MB as well.

14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I don't know then. 650W is plenty of power. [​IMG]

Could be a wonky motherboard issue?

15. Prada_Ferragamo

That's why I am so frustrated right now. I thought it was compatibility issue at first, but windows does start, it just takes a good 20 minutes. I have checked all of my connections and everything is plugged in securely.

I think my MB has an integrated graphics card, but I don't know how to disable that. The manual doesn't say anything. But I figured that my VGA should override anything that comes on the MB.

16. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

That's why I am so frustrated right now. I thought it was compatibility issue at first, but windows does start, it just takes a good 20 minutes. I have checked all of my connections and everything is plugged in securely.

I think my MB has an integrated graphics card, but I don't know how to disable that. The manual doesn't say anything. But I figured that my VGA should override anything that comes on the MB.

It *should*, but for good measure, see if you can disable onboard graphics in your mobo's BIOS settings.

I had a similar problem actually when I built my box, GRUB wouldn't come up at all, so I couldn't get to Windows or Linux. Turned out it was b/c I was being a cheapskate trying to put in a 5 year old budget Nvidia card. Bought a newer one and my prob was solved.

May was well experiment to narrow down the list of potential problems. I'd yank the card and try booting off the integrated graphics. Then, disable them, and try booting off a different video card.

17. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, I'd download and run Memtest for 24 hours. Your memory could, and I emphasize could, be the problem.

Of course, it could also be the harddrive. Computers are fun aren't they?

18. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't even consider memory. Hah. That's why I buy G.Skill, free lifetime replacement beeeyotch

19. Prada_Ferragamo

I was finally able to figure out my problem. After downloading and installing the drivers from MSI website for my video card, I had to manually shut down my computer and and let the updates install. Previously I used the automatic restart button and the updates would only install at 30%. This time all of the drivers/updates installed before the computer shut off. In addition, I did disable the integrated graphics. This machine is running beautifully now since I am running SLI with my video cards and activated X.M.P for RAM. I will eventually OC my CPU since only 2 out of 4 cores are running all the time right now.

20. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Sweet glad you figured it out!