1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Demise of Beer Gut Glory

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jen, Mar 16, 2006.

1. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Frankly, I suspect that some members of the Forum exaggerate their fitness level when bemoaning their inability to buy OTR suits. A drop 12 is Men's Health-cover quality, and requires 2-3 hours per day in the gym. I'm happy with my decent-shape, size 40R physique -- makes it much easier to buy things (although no luck in finding deals in outlets and eBay!). I do wish I was over 6 feet tall, but nothing I can do about that.

EDITED for embarassing typo that j caught

Maybe that is true for some people, I don't know. I mean, I am ~5. 10" and 150 lbs, around 32-33 waist, 38-40 jacket size...of course I could be more fit but I don't bemoan the fact that I am relatively trim for a 28 year old but not muscular... I do two martial arts but I have breathing/cardiovascular issues as well as joint problems. Nothing to brag about. Sure, I would like a some more muscle mass but oh well. I find the traditional "gym" thing far too boring to be worth my time. I am sure many people here are indeed in better shape than I [​IMG]

2. skalogre

You guys can squat automobiles? That's pretty cool. I attached a metal bar to the front bumper of my car so now I can curl it. It's only a mid-size, though.

I can do back curls with one of my two Toyota Celica (this one):
    [​IMG]

3. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Well-Known Member

Dude, I know lots of people who'd die to be that size. Super slim jeans and clothing is the shieet.

4. skalogre

Dude, I know lots of people who'd die to be that size. Super slim jeans and clothing is the shieet.
    Heheh, pipecleaner-style jeans seem to be back!
    Not my thing but it sounds like he is in perfect shape to take advantage of them [​IMG]

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Constantly.

I don't lie about it. Lying doesn't change anything, and I see no reason in that. But I am 5'10" and 130lbs. I don't know if I've ever run into beer guts as measures of manliness (I think that was before my time, really; even the frat boys wish they looked like ambiguously bisexual Abercrombie models now), but I do wish I weren't so ridiculously skinny, and once I've finally gotten through moving in two months, I am planning on embarking on a ridiculously ascetic training regimen for the next year and a half.

Dior Homme and David Bowie Thin White Duke looks are quite in right now.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I dunno. I am 5'11" and just under 155 lbs, and that is small enough for me. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to be much lighter. Trade muscle for some fat, sure. But I like to look like I can take care of myself if and when the need arises.

J and Renault, squatting cars is pretty cool. I find it sort of hard to balance Escalades though. I use a single pulley, but it seems like cheating. Any tips?

Anyway, here is a picture of me, just to dispel any myths. I would go Abercrombie style, but my wife, who started this thread, might have questions as to why I am posting shirtless pictures up on a men's styleforum.

[​IMG]

7. j

j Well-Known Member

I dunno. I am 5'11" and just under 155 lbs, and that is small enough for me. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to be much lighter. Trade muscle for some fat, sure. But I like to look like I can take care of myself if and when the need arises.

J and Renault, squatting cars is pretty cool. I find it sort of hard to balance Escalades though. I use a single pulley, but it seems like cheating. Any tips?

Anyway, here is a picture of me, just to dispel any myths. I would go Abercrombie style, but my wife, who started this thread, might have questions as to why I am posting shirtless pictures up on a men's styleforum.

[​IMG]

dood ur pants r 2 low dood lolz

nice flarez

8. LA Guy

dood ur pants r 2 low dood lolz nice flarez
    Surprisingly, they actually liked this outfit (to be fair, a lot of the guys who commented positively also post here), or at least let it go without comment. And while the Loose Frank is a true straight leg, While the Ralph actually is a bit of a bootcut, I thought that these jeans were more "flared" in the photo. I don't know, maybe they were too dazzled by the sight of a real life Spruce hoodie to notice anything else. anyways, ur opinion is just and opinion, n its wack. lol.

9. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Fok you are in total Superfutures pose there...deserve everything you get [​IMG]

10. LA Guy

Fok you are in total Superfutures pose there...deserve everything you get [​IMG]

Actually, I was doing my best aggro Brian.

11. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Well-Known Member

It's not about how buff you look, it's about whether you can throw down or not.

12. LA Guy

It's not about how buff you look, it's about whether you can throw down or not.

If it comes down to it, yes. And anyone who has either met me in person (Jay Allen, Brian, Gary, a bunch more) or talked with me on the phone would understand why and probably believe that I've gotten into more than my fair share of fights (it's something beyond my control, but I have a short fuse, and it used to be even shorter when I was younger.) I would give you good odds, however, that people are much less likely to want to mess around with a guy like Jay just for fun (he is about my height, but probably has 100 lbs, mostly muscle, on me, and has the look of a guy who's been around the block a couple of times) than with a skinny 130 lb hipster looking dude.

Besides, I can squat an Escalade, so no worries.

13. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Actually, I was doing my best aggro Brian.

That hoodie is too sweet to be aggro, but it is good to keep the aggro stance alive.

14. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked.

15. skalogre

I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked.

[​IMG]

16. seen

seen Well-Known Member

Think I just lost my dinner.

17. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

im glad that skinny is in. im 6' and 150 lbs and cant gain. the only excercise i get is from skateboarding, and i eat fast food every day, but cant seem to develop any fat. so im glad that i can go with it insted of hiding it under loose clothes.

and to whoever said the bit about "I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked."... speak for yourself. i look damn good naked.

18. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

and to whoever said the bit about "I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked."... speak for yourself. i look damn good naked.
    I'm not saying that I'm uncomfortable. I'm just saying that I'm uncomfortable.

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I didn't think that lying about your physical fitness level was really an option. being that I am short and round, I doubt that I would be able to convince anybody that I am a marathon runner.

in terms of wanting to change, or not being happy with the way you can dress? sure, I have been short my whole life, 5 foot 5, and even when I had single digit body fat I still looked stumpy. but you have to play with the cards you have. I don't wear sports jackets or odd jackets, and I don't wear brown shoes, basically in an attempt to flatter my shape into submision. I have to use what ever tricks I can.

and you are all a bunch of wimps - cars? I was squating cars when I was in high school. now I squat minivans, and the occasional pickup loaded with bricks.

20. LA Guy

and you are all a bunch of wimps - cars? I was squating cars when I was in high school. now I squat minivans, and the occasional pickup loaded with bricks.

Nice. I am squatting fully loaded escalades for toning, but find them awkwardly balanced. I am building up to a fully loaded semi, but it's hard to break that wall. Tips?

Seriously, though, my buddy and I just finished a 10 000 m row (we are sort of "training" for the indoor rowing half marathon (a full marathon of rowing seemed a bit extreme) in two weeks. I('ll post a link when we actually do that 21 000 m and some bits.) And my gluts ache like I was just in a Mexican prison.