1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imageWIS, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

Too much talking and not enough pics is this thread so thought I'd add some. I just picked this up from Target for $5 last weekend. Hanes premium T.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Well-Known Member

Too much talking and not enough pics is this thread so thought I'd add some. I just picked this up from Target for $5 last weekend. Hanes premium T.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nice fit, what size is the shirt and what is your height/weight?

3. tonio028

My normal size small. 5'8" about 155 lbs.

4. Althis

Althis Well-Known Member

jcrew broken in crew, 5'11" 190 lb, size L

[​IMG]

5. APK

APK Well-Known Member

I'm gonna throw up a vote for the Old Navy tees.

With warmer temps around the corner, I was in dire need of some basic tees that weren't undershirts. Options around town are pretty limited, so it was either Gap, Old Navy, or one of the A&F type places.

The Gap ones fit very well, but don't seem to warrant the $14 tag (that's if buying two) considering the material. Soft, but flimsy. Fine now, but I could see the neck getting ragged after only a few wears.

The Old Navy ones have a similar cut and felt more substantial. At $7 a pop, they were a no-brainer.

6. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Well-Known Member

black and gray sean john tees fit great. the fit is similar to bdg but i like sean john better because they're 100% cotton. i also like the collars better. i bought some white ones thinking they would be the same as the black and gray but the fit was way off.

i got two mossimo athletic fit tees yesterday. they fit well up top but are baggy near the waist.

7. sploosh

sploosh Well-Known Member

I'm gonna throw up a vote for the Old Navy tees.

With warmer temps around the corner, I was in dire need of some basic tees that weren't undershirts. Options around town are pretty limited, so it was either Gap, Old Navy, or one of the A&F type places.

The Gap ones fit very well, but don't seem to warrant the $14 tag (that's if buying two) considering the material. Soft, but flimsy. Fine now, but I could see the neck getting ragged after only a few wears.

The Old Navy ones have a similar cut and felt more substantial. At $7 a pop, they were a no-brainer.

I agree. I really love mine. I really like Old Navy's socks also. Shirts are also 2 for 10 there.

8. allcapitan

allcapitan Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of old navy tee's. You have to baby them a little bit. Gentle cycle only. I just put them in the standard wash cycle, and they do pill rather easily, and the colors get washed out quickly.

9. APK

APK Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for, I guess. At any rate, $7 still isn't a terrible amount of money for a tee. I'm careful with all of my clothing, so I'd still bet the ON tees will hold up longer than the flimsier Gap ones will.

I don't think extensive longevity can be expected with basic tees, regardless of where they're from. If you have a decent array of them, the best you can probably expect is a few months of regular wear before you need to replace them.

10. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

W+H tees are stellar.

11. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me some t-shirts that are similar in thickness + material of the Kirkland t-shirts but in black or grey?

12. XenoX101

XenoX101 Well-Known Member

If anyone's looking for super super slim, short, tiny t-shirts I recommend trying Armani Exchange, they are the smallest I have found so far, the quality is better than target and on par with designer mall brands (which is what it is), price is naturally a bit more but is still very reasonable, here are measurements of my XS AX v-neck..

Shoulders: 15.35" / 39 cm
    Pit-to-pit: 15.74" / 40 cm
    Length: 22.44" / 57 cm
    Sleeve width: 3.93" / 10 cm

As you can see, tiny, so a small/medium/large would be proportionatly bigger but still very slim

13. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of Lucky Brand tees that are great (not plain - Bob Dylan and the Who) - soft but thick, excellent collars. Normal $50-60 would be ridiculous, but at 50% off they were perfectly reasonable.

I think they're starting to carry them without any kind of graphics, which would be great. I don't care for most of the brands mentioned here - the material is too thin, collars stretch out or get messed up on Gap/BR/AA/etc.. J. Crew's broken-in tees run a close second to the Luckys I own - plus they come in 'tall,' which is a bonus.

14. sploosh

sploosh Well-Known Member

I found a place where I can get aa tees super cheap(12 for $69.99)

I am about 5 2' 115 lbs. Should I get the poly cotton or the jersey tees? Also will smalls fit me?

15. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

I bought some plain JC Penny/Arizona t-shirts for $5.00 a pop this week. I'm very pleased with them fit-wise and length wise (I find brands that target adolescents like Arizona and American Eagle do a better job of being reasonable in length for me.)

Naturally, it's not the highest qquality fabric, and it's not as gossamer thin as AA/Merona/BDG, but it's decent enough, comes in a bunch of fun colors, and is always on sale.

16. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

We missed you when you were gone. No, sincerely. (not using 'we' to imply OG status or anything...this is Xenox.)

If anyone's looking for super super slim, short, tiny t-shirts I recommend trying Armani Exchange, they are the smallest I have found so far, the quality is better than target and on par with designer mall brands (which is what it is), price is naturally a bit more but is still very reasonable, here are measurements of my XS AX v-neck..

Shoulders: 15.35" / 39 cm
    Pit-to-pit: 15.74" / 40 cm
    Length: 22.44" / 57 cm
    Sleeve width: 3.93" / 10 cm

As you can see, tiny, so a small/medium/large would be proportionatly bigger but still very slim

17. kookydooky

kookydooky Well-Known Member

Question:

My T-shirts are pretty long for me and I am thinking of getting them cut shorter.

What length should I cut them too? ie. under my belt buckle, on top of my crotch halfway down the pant zipper/buttons etc

18. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

Not sure if it has been posted yet but Rogues Gallery's T-shirts are pretty slim fitting. I ordered a medium thinking they'd be like normal shirts and I had to send mine back for a large. Fit is great and the cotton is very soft and comfortable. I've bought 4 more since the first elk shirt I bought from them.

19. APK

APK Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the thing with ON tees is that, like most other cheap options, quality control is a big issue. I only tried one of the four tees on at the store. It fit perfectly and I foolishly thought that meant the other ones I picked out would, too. After trying on the other three, it looks like I'll need to go exchange them.

- One measures a full inch less across the chest and had very short sleeves
    - Another measured a half-inch less across the sleeve opening. Doesn't seem like much, but it's enough to make the fit go from just right to meat head.
    - The third has sleeves that measure only about 2.5 inches across the bottom of the sleeve. Compare that to the near five inches in the same area on the shirt that fits perfectly.

20. tonio028

For the first time in my life, I tried on a boys (yes boys) size large Polo shirt. I'm normally a size small in most brands including BoO and a size 36R in suits. Surprisingly they fit well and fitted without looking like a shrunken shirt. I think I've found my secret to a well fitted shirt with a nice length. The length was better as well. $15 at TJMaxx. I'll post pics when I get some time.