1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. boxdiver

boxdiver Well-Known Member

is that from their red label?

Not sure. I just know they are called Trim Fit and are $95 regularly.

2. najpie

najpie Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the fit of Luciano Barbera Club dress shirts?

3. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the P2P of the BB extra slim fir shirts in sizes medium and large ?

Thanks

4. surrender

surrender Well-Known Member

Benetton and Sisley shirts fit fantastically well, but the fabric and buttons are a bit crappy. I'm hoping that Modern Tailor can send me a good clone.

5. calisanfran

calisanfran Well-Known Member

Tried on one of the Nordstrom Smartcare Trim Fit shirts for the first time and found the fit surprisingly good. Nice light blue / white gingham. Might buy myself a few.

6. najpie

najpie Well-Known Member

yeah I got a couple as a stopgap solution until an amazing deal comes along. The collar is pretty tall, and looks kinda weird with slim ties, but the cut is not bad (esp. for the aniv price of $38)

7. BeaconHillBoston

BeaconHillBoston Well-Known Member

Love the bb ultra slim fits. I have a 10 inch drop, and these are the only shirts that are not super tight on top, but fit nice and snug down bottom. I had to size up, of course. 16/34.... After a few washes the neck will fit perfectly. I'm a 151/2

8. david123

david123 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm being too hopeful here, but does anyone know how Hart Shaffner Marx shirts fit? I can't imagine they'd be slim, but I at their web site because I was curious about Obama's suits and they have quite a sale on shirts right now. For comparison, the Boss slim fits are about perfect for me.

9. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

Hey all! First time post so I am pretty excited. I read through a lot of this forum but still am at a loss [​IMG]

I am around 179lbs, 5 10/11. I am pretty muscular. I'd say 9-12% body fat, probably on the lower end.

The issue I have with shirts is that for me to wear something that fits my chest/shoulders/arms appropriately, i end up with a very very wide waist. So far the only shirt that has worked for me are Zara XL Slim Dress shirts.

I was hoping you guys could recommend some brands (casual preferably) that would fit me and the size.

I look forward to hearing from you and getting help.

10. DaveD

DaveD Member

The below list is only for sizes "Large" and 16 or 16.5, so extrapolate to your own size at your own risk. Source: http://propercloth.com/slim-fit-dress-shirts It's ranked by width across the bottom minus collar circumference, basically telling you how "narrow" the silhouette is. It does not include BB Extra Slim, Hugo Boss Red, or certain others that have been discussed here, but I believe this is something that can be the start (though not the end) of a common language for this. Rank\t Brand/Size Midsection Width - Collar Circumference 1.\tBen Sherman Large SOHO Fit\t2.25 \t 2.\tEsprit Large Slim Fit\t2.625 \t 3.\tDKNY Large Slim Fit\t4 \t 4.\tKenneth Cole NY Large\t4 \t 5.\tProper Cloth Large Super Slim Fit\t4\t 6.\tZara 42 (16 US) Tailored Fit\t4.25 \t 7.\tH&M Large Regular Fit\t4.375 \t 8.\tThomas Pink 16.5 Slim Fit\t4.5 \t 9.\tH&M Large Slim Fit\t4.625\t 10.\tBurberry Large Classic\t4.75\t 11.\tDKNY Large Refined Fit\t5\t 12.\tHugo Boss Large Fitted\t5\t 13.\tZara 42 (16 US) Regular Fit\t5.25\t 14.\tBen Sherman Large Union Fit\t5.375\t 15.\tCharles Thrywit 16.5 36 Slim Fit\t5.375\t 16.\tJ. Crew Large\t5.375\t 17.\tTommy Hilfiger Large Custom Fit\t5.375\t 18.\tProper Cloth Large Slim Fit\t5.5\t 19.\tExpress Large 16-16.5 Modern Fit\t5.625\t 20.\tCharles Thrywit 16.5 35 Slim Fit\t5.75\t 21.\tGap Large 16-16.5 Fitted\t5.75\t 22.\tGap Large Classic Fit\t6.25\t 23.\tLacoste 42\t6.5\t 24.\tBrooks Brothers 16.5/35 Slim Fit\t7\t 25.\tProper Cloth Large Classic Fit\t7\t 26.\tSean John Large 16.5 36-37\t7.25\t 27.\tCharles Thrywit 16.5 35\t7.875\t Feel free to add to this if you know or have easy access to additional measurements. Pit-to-pit (p2p) chest size, shoulder width, and up/down length seem to me to be the three other measurements most needed to adequately decide what shirt is right for you -- just note that H&M Regular Fit is listed as slimmer than their Slim Fit. My guess would be the difference is in these other measurements. Like I said, just a start, hope this helps somebody. EDIT: I should mention that I know this was previously linked to, but rather than shout it down it would be more useful to add to it instead.

11. DaveD

DaveD Member

Using the above measurement, Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit 16.5 6 I got this from halving the waist measure and subtracting the collar size. So for a 16.5" neck, it's (as given on their website here: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/conten....tem?popup=1): waist measure 45"/2 = 22.5"-16.5" = 6 I do not think this has much use comparing outside of similar neck sizes, since "billow" is a function of waist measure and this is simply subtracting a round number from that.

12. joei

joei Well-Known Member

Hey, Im a noob to the site and after searching, couldnt really find a definitive answer to my question so....

I have an outdoor event to go to next week and in need of a slim fitting polo. Im not big per se but I have really broad shoulders from doing pulls up all these years. So when buying shirts, I usually get an XL and they fit decent in the shoulder area but look like a tent the rest of the way down.

Any suggestions ?

13. najpie

najpie Well-Known Member

^ try J Crew tailored fit. You can probably find them on sale right now.

14. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

How does a size large love moschino compare to a large just cavali? Anyone know? Specifically the chest/shoulder area and the waist. I want to know because I want to get some love moschino shirts and idk what size to order. If it fits like cavalli then thatd be perfect.

15. VictorJB

VictorJB Well-Known Member

I am a very thin person with not muscle on my frame. Alot of shirts that have an amazing slim fit look to them on me are DKNY and Messori. The DKNY shirts for me look like I have had them custom tailored specifically to fit me, but i know this will not be the same for everyone else. And do i need to speak about Messori, they are the best slim fitting shirts coming from Italy, love everything about them.

16. Publius

Publius Active Member

Hey, Im a noob to the site and after searching, couldnt really find a definitive answer to my question so....

I have an outdoor event to go to next week and in need of a slim fitting polo. Im not big per se but I have really broad shoulders from doing pulls up all these years. So when buying shirts, I usually get an XL and they fit decent in the shoulder area but look like a tent the rest of the way down.

Any suggestions ?

Get an XL that fits you in the shoulders and take it to your tailor and ask them to fix the rest.

17. adidasfan

adidasfan Well-Known Member

I really am in love with the Modern Amusement polos
    I think they are perfect for the slim-fit.

I believe all their polos are slimfit.

18. HCE

HCE New Member

Guys I'm having a really hard time finding an OCBD, wtf is going on. At 6'1" and 170 lbs I'm not sure if my 16 inch neck is unusually thick, but I couldn't find anything that came close to fitting my body that wasn't choking up top.

I kept this thread in mind while shopping but of the stores I visited NONE of the places that have been recommended here carried anything even remotely close to fitting me snugly. Still have H&M (ugh) and DKNY to go but I am not too hopeful.

I don't have much experience with business-attire so I'm starting to panic. What exactly can a tailor do, if I bring in something that fits like a wind sail? Will they take on a 1-shirt order? Need something in the next 2.5 weeks...

19. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Buy a shirt that fits you in the neck and shoulders. Any decent tailor can fix the rest. Yes, they can fix one shirt at a time.

20. hermes man

hermes man Well-Known Member

my slim shirts are mostly from Giorgio Armani

but i do have 2 pair of slim fit shirts from Emporio Armani , you can see the quality differences and the Giorgio Armani are all made in Italy (Emporio Armani does have made in italy shirts too)

i also have some short sleeve fashion slim firt shirts from Gucci (also all made in italy) which have very nice and fashionable designs

i use size S or 15