1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. BossTweed

BossTweed Well-Known Member

These are the slimmest OTR. Period. Honestly, they don't come any slimmer than this.

<$60 H&M
    $60-$100 RL Rugby, Brooks Brothers Extra-Slim Fit
    $100-$200 Gitman Vintage, Epaulet
    $200+ RLBL, BoO

2. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

The Boss slim fits don't fall into that category? Those are some of the slimmest shirts I've ever tried on.

3. cheyrou

cheyrou Well-Known Member

In yalls opinion where is the best place to find slim fitted shirts at 15-36? It's a hard size to find but 15.5 is too baggy and I hate 15-34 that are too short for me.

4. flyguy7

flyguy7 Well-Known Member

just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who posted suggestions in this thread. I strolled into an H&amp;M yesterday for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with the shirt i got there for $30. I'll be heading to a brooks brothers tomorrow and will try on some of the extra slims there as well, eventually make my way around to everything you guys have suggested. Thanks again.

5. styelishjay

styelishjay Member

Found some very nice info here. Thanks to everyone who contributed!!

6. John_Edward

John_Edward Well-Known Member

I'm visiting SF this weekend and want to pop into some shops which we've not got in Phoenix. Is there anything that comes to mind that is generally exclusive to major cities like LA, NYC, SF, Chicago, etc?

The H&amp;M should have the decent shirts (the folded ones) and there's a United Colors there. Mostly looking for $40-80 range.

7. howlingwolfpress

howlingwolfpress Well-Known Member

Recently bought a couple extra-small shirts from American Eagle. This is one of them, I think it was $50 and the other was $40. Straight from the store so it's really wrinkly but I really like these. The top button does close with some effort. No idea what the measurements are, but I'm just under 5' 11 and 155 lbs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Well-Known Member

This a great forum topic, thanks to those that have continbuted!

I'm a newcomer in the business world and have recently started purchasing business clothes (suits, shirts, etc) and building my selection. I'm 5'10'' and 150 lbs and very slim. I wear a 15.5 32/33 dress shirt, but I'm curious if buying the &quot;slim fit&quot; would look better with my slender body? I work suits everyday, but not sure which size/style/brands I should try in the slim fit.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks again everyone!

9. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

So brooks brothers black fleece shirts are not slim at all? I took their slimness for granted since they were designed by T Browne. But according to the measurements I got from BB customer service, the BB0 has 42 chest and the BB1 has 44 chest. What a shocker. The size chart surggests that bb0=xxs and bb1=xs. I'm deeply disappointed.

10. greenwood

greenwood New Member

If it is too slim it doesn't fit. See Sid Mashburn for the best balance.

11. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

So brooks brothers black fleece shirts are not slim at all? I took their slimness for granted since they were designed by T Browne. But according to the measurements I got from BB customer service, the BB0 has 42 chest and the BB1 has 44 chest. What a shocker. The size chart surggests that bb0=xxs and bb1=xs. I'm deeply disappointed.

I have a BBBF up for sale in my sig in a size BBO and it has the following measurements:

Shldr-shldr: 16.5"
    P2P: 20"
    Sleeve length (from shldr seam to cuff): 23"
    Length (from bottom of back collar to hem): 29"

Sleeves are hobbit short ala the TB aesthetic I believe, but I find that this particular shirt did fit me slim.

12. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Well-Known Member

Recently bought a couple extra-small shirts from American Eagle. This is one of them, I think it was $50 and the other was $40. Straight from the store so it's really wrinkly but I really like these. The top button does close with some effort. No idea what the measurements are, but I'm just under 5' 11 and 155 lbs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the problem with finding slim shirts. These look pretty good on you and no offense but, by your height and weight, you are not extra small.

What size scale are these companies using?[​IMG]

13. BossTweed

BossTweed Well-Known Member

See Tonio's post. The CS rep probably read off the sheet; which impractically doesn't correspond to their actual shirts.

14. CBRYDR

CBRYDR Well-Known Member

Hugo Boss Slim Fit 17" 43 sleeve (6'1 200lbs - believe the sleeve is in Euro size?) The slimmest I've owned in an advertised "Slim Fit". I picked up a few Piattelli's that are from the "Trim Fit" line, but not as trim as the Boss [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

So I got my Brooks Brothers extra slim fit today. I still need to get them darted for them to fit properly...

I guess I should stick to Hugo Red for OTR shirts... I haven't found anything else that fits well to date, sadly.

16. kinggimp

kinggimp Well-Known Member

So I got my Brooks Brothers extra slim fit today. I still need to get them darted for them to fit properly...

I guess I should stick to Hugo Red for OTR shirts... I haven't found anything else that fits well to date, sadly.

i've tried bb extra slim fit, ck collection slim fit, john varvatos slim fit, and hugo boss slims

hugo slim fit, hands down my favorite. and i am quite slim myself :/

17. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

I was saddened by the fact that the BB extra slim fit shirts are still not that slim... I had high expectations based on postings I read about the fit that I would find a new "go to" brand since the Hugo shirts are overpriced except when they go on sale.

My problem with a lot of the American shirts is that I have a large chest-waist drop, so I've found a lot of shirts look odd unless they have a tapered or darted waist.

18. darnelled

darnelled Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think I found a few that I like.

Do you know if back hem for the tailored fit runs long? Looking to wear it as somewhat casual, and at times untucked. also would you consider the tailored fits slim? looking for a theory shirt type slim

I think they have average lengths. I haven't ordered the tailored fit yet. They used to have "slim fit" that I think has been replaced by this. The slim fits were slim on me- (6'2 180lb).

19. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Well-Known Member

These are the slimmest OTR. Period. Honestly, they don't come any slimmer than this.

<$60 H&M
    $60-$100 RL Rugby, Brooks Brothers Extra-Slim Fit
    $100-$200 Gitman Vintage, Epaulet
    $200+ RLBL, BoO

I agree that you have to include Hugo Boss black lable slim fit to this category. I've tried all of the ones that you've listed (except epaulet) and they are all not as slim as Hugo Boss black label slim fit.
    Benetton makes some of their shirts that are really slim. Saw one in their store the other day that had front and back darts.

20. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

I agree that you have to include Hugo Boss black lable slim fit to this category. I've tried all of the ones that you've listed (except epaulet) and they are all not as slim as Hugo Boss black label slim fit.
    Benetton makes some of their shirts that are really slim. Saw one in their store the other day that had front and back darts.

If it had front darts then I find it highly questionable.