1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. AB01

AB01 Well-Known Member

Went to United Colors of Benetton for some slim fit shirts. They fit much better than Express 1MXs and the whole store was either 40 or 50% off retail price. I got 3 shirts for 80 dollars I think. I would post pictures but my camera is hiding somewhere. All 3 are darted in the back.
    This week, I picked up one shirt from United Colours of Benetton. Rull retail. No sale. It was $99 plus tax. I'm in Toronto. It fits around the waist and doesn't have loose fabric in the lower back either. I noticed it was slightly darted on the inside back of the shirt. The whole shirt goes inwards at the waist. Gives quite a fitted shape. It fits really well, so I hope it doesn't shrink. It's 100% cotton so I'll probably hand wash and hang dry. The label said it was a 15 3/4 and size 38. Fit more like a 15.5 and the shoulders were a little slimmer, but had a tiny bit more room in the chest compared to the Etro slim fit 39. Mine was the "luxury" style. A textured white. Collar was slightly spread too which I like.

2. StennyH2

StennyH2 Member

thanks for the report, what was the brand/make on the tag?

This week, I picked up one shirt from United Colours of Benetton. Rull retail. No sale. It was $99 plus tax. I'm in Toronto.

It fits around the waist and doesn't have loose fabric in the lower back either. I noticed it was slightly darted on the inside back of the shirt. The whole shirt goes inwards at the waist. Gives quite a fitted shape. It fits really well, so I hope it doesn't shrink. It's 100% cotton so I'll probably hand wash and hang dry.
    The label said it was a 15 3/4 and size 38. Fit more like a 15.5 and the shoulders were a little slimmer, but had a tiny bit more room in the chest compared to the Etro slim fit 39.
    Mine was the "luxury" style. A textured white. Collar was slightly spread too which I like.

3. AB01

AB01 Well-Known Member

Look for "Luxury" on the tag. I think of was regular fit too. I'll have to look around for the tag. There were only two different white shirts in the store. Mostly women's clothes.

4. Butters1

Butters1 Member

Hugo Boss slim fit sizing in CM

14.5/15
    chest:100
    waist:92

15.5/15.75
    chest:106
    waist:98

16/16.5
    chest: 112
    waist: 104

17/17.5
    chest 118
    waist: 112

Regular Fit/Classic Fitted
    chest: 116
    waist: 109

Classic
    Chest: 126
    waist: 114

if the chest on the 15.5 slim was just ever so slightly bigger it would fit me perfect
    -Butters

5. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can help me with a specific slim fit shirt query: I'm in need of a new white shirt. Usually, I buy my shirts at Zara, but there's one problem: I rarely wear undershirts and all of theirs are too see-through.

Does anyone know of a slim-fitting white shirt, preferably button cuff, point/spread/cutaway collar that's under $150 (preferably under $100) and isn't at all see-through. Also, no patterns would be ideal.

6. refinery

refinery Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can help me with a specific slim fit shirt query: I'm in need of a new white shirt. Usually, I buy my shirts at Zara, but there's one problem: I rarely wear undershirts and all of theirs are too see-through.

Does anyone know of a slim-fitting white shirt, preferably button cuff, point/spread/cutaway collar that's under $150 (preferably under $100) and isn't at all see-through. Also, no patterns would be ideal.

https://www.kentwang.com/shirts/poplin-white.html

???

Supposedly they are slim fitting but being a college student I cannot afford to spend that much on just a single shirt.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Has anybody on this thread mentioned the Gap's fitted shirts? Size down one and you have something that, while not super fitted, gives you a pretty decent fit at a fairly unbeatable price.

8. thewallychamp

thewallychamp Well-Known Member

does anyone have fit pics of the brooks brothers extra slim fit?

9. GQ1

GQ1 Well-Known Member

My best luck with slim fit shirts has been H&M and Express. But Express doesn't have as a good a selection. H&M is much better made than people realize, and the shirts are a really good fit. I recomend them highly.

I also fit it hard to find slim tees. Urban outfitters has some, but I wish I could fit a brand that just always does it. Some smaller t brands do like johney cupcakes and FFTB.

+1 for H&M fitting. Have you tried their dress shirts?

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Has anybody on this thread mentioned the Gap's fitted shirts? Size down one and you have something that, while not super fitted, gives you a pretty decent fit at a fairly unbeatable price.

That's usually what is recommended if you want to try to fit into a shirt: sizing down. However, you will probably be unlikely to button the collar... which is a problem if you are planning on wearing a tie with the shirt.

11. DeusExa

DeusExa Active Member

I'm 6', 150lb, slender but not skinny, and have a reasonably athletic build.

Any suggestions for quality slim-fit shirts ~ $50-100, in darker colors, i.e. black, navy, charcoal-grey (also white)?

12. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

I've pretty much resigned myself to custom dress shirts. But figure I'd ask before I buy too many more.

My dimensions:

Neck: 15"
    Shoulders: 17.75"
    Chest: 38"
    Waist: 29.5"
    Bicep width: 12-13"
    Arm hole: ~18"

Any OTR shirts fit those measurements pretty closely for under $100 with good quality fabrics and construction?

13. glue24

glue24 New Member

{edit} sorry wrong thread...

14. sd0rtega

sd0rtega New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone.

15. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Well-Known Member

I know it's not in any way up to some people's standards on the fora, but if you're only looking for fit and don't care about quality, I've always found some impressively slim shirts at Daffy's outlets in NYC.

Take this piece: it's a random brand (Covent Garden) size 15.5/39 (no sleeve length specified but i'm usually 35). I'm 6'2" and my chest measures about 36". It's very thin material and probably won't last long, but was only $25 and fits me well enough that I don't feel the need to alter it. It has some rather dramatic darts in the back, but I don't mind. I also got a 15/38 from a different brand (identical cut though) which is even slimmer in the chest but unfortunately a touch short in the sleeves. Also ~$25

For reference the pants (Ben Sherman, also found at Daffy's for like $12) are size 31.

16. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

I know it's not in any way up to some people's standards on the fora, but if you're only looking for fit and don't care about quality, I've always found some impressively slim shirts at Daffy's outlets in NYC.

Take this piece: it's a random brand (Covent Garden) size 15.5/39 (no sleeve length specified but i'm usually 35). I'm 6'2" and my chest measures about 36". It's very thin material and probably won't last long, but was only $25 and fits me well enough that I don't feel the need to alter it. It has some rather dramatic darts in the back, but I don't mind. I also got a 15/38 from a different brand (identical cut though) which is even slimmer in the chest but unfortunately a touch short in the sleeves. Also ~$25

For reference the pants (Ben Sherman, also found at Daffy's for like $12) are size 31.

Random brands at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls also have some nice fitting shirts, but you have to dig through the crap stuff first.

17. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

I've pretty much resigned myself to custom dress shirts. But figure I'd ask before I buy too many more.

My dimensions:

Neck: 15"
    Shoulders: 17.75"
    Chest: 38"
    Waist: 29.5"
    Bicep width: 12-13"
    Arm hole: ~18"

Any OTR shirts fit those measurements pretty closely for under $100 with good quality fabrics and construction?

Pay a little more and go with Kent Wang

18. phxlawstudent

Pay a little more and go with Kent Wang

Uh... unless your referring to a different vendor, that place doesn't even offer my sleeve length. Add the cost of the alteration, and I've got the price of a custom shirt. No thanks.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Uh... unless your referring to a different vendor, that place doesn't even offer my sleeve length. Add the cost of the alteration, and I've got the price of a custom shirt. No thanks.

You can get custom shirts for $115 - $130?

20. phxlawstudent

You can get custom shirts for $115 - $130?

Yes. And local too.

http://www.modageorgio.com/site/index.html

And also from my tailor who works out of his house.

Theres also propercloth.com in the US and outside of the US there are places like moderntailor.com et al.