1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

A shirt you may want to add to this is Roda. I hate to be a shill since I am currently selling two of these shirts but they are very slim fitting and well made and, more importantly, cheap. A 15.5 has the following measurements:

20 inches across the armpits (40 inch chest)
    19 inch armhole
    38 inch waist

2. Pim

Pim Active Member

Mastai Ferretti MTM, the shirts are really cheap for MTM and ofcourse they fit great. You won't find any hand made details but if it's all about the fit his shirts are great.

3. nate10184

nate10184 Well-Known Member

Picked up a Polo RL "Made in Italy" the other day at Steinmart. Size was 15.5 with no sleeve measurement. Again all it said below the typical Polo tag was "Made in Italy" in cursive.

Usually even the "custom fit" offerings from polo are a little baggy for me so I assumed that this would be more along the lines of the "classic fit" and would be extremely baggy on me. To my surprise it was almost a perfect fit in shoulders, body, and arms (I'm a 34/35). Significantly slimmer even then the 15.5 "custom fit" shirts I own.

Best part was with all the markdowns it was only $19.98. Given the retail was $165 I got almost 90% off. If anyone else comes across more of these I would certainly be willing to pay a finders fee.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Picked up a Polo RL "Made in Italy" the other day at Steinmart. Size was 15.5 with no sleeve measurement. Again all it said below the typical Polo tag was "Made in Italy" in cursive.

Usually even the "custom fit" offerings from polo are a little baggy for me so I assumed that this would be more along the lines of the "classic fit" and would be extremely baggy on me. To my surprise it was almost a perfect fit in shoulders, body, and arms (I'm a 34/35). Significantly slimmer even then the 15.5 "custom fit" shirts I own.

Best part was with all the markdowns it was only $19.98. Given the retail was $165 I got almost 90% off. If anyone else comes across more of these I would certainly be willing to pay a finders fee.

What color was the label? Was it black?

Jon.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

The best fitting OTR shirts for me are Barba, Zara, Martin Margiela, Steven Alan, and Band of Outsiders, all of which are slim fitting and the latter three have pretty decent construction as well. Some of the more conservative offerings from Zara might be suitable for business, the other three are more for casual wear. Barba certainly works for business wear. 46 chest, 34 waist, 17.5 neck.

6. overdog

overdog Well-Known Member

I've seen these too at a Ralph Lauren outlet store. It was on clearance for $25. The one I saw had a small stain on it, so I didn't get it. But I do remembering that the fit was AWESOME.

7. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Well-Known Member

Some of the Borelli shirts fit me like a glove. Another one that does it for me is YSL. One that caught my eye lately is Grifoni. The shirts they make are pretty toight.
    All my shirts are made for european market though.

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Too Hard form me to figure out cause they work for me but where do these dimensions fit?

Starting from size 37 to size 42

[​IMG]

9. drizzt3117

doesn't seem like they slim too much from chest to waist, maybe a boxy look?

10. csgrad

csgrad Well-Known Member

The Bagutta shirts they currently have on Yoox are very good slim shirts to buy. The quality is very good for the 60-70 dollars you spend on one, single needle stitching, shell buttons, nicely shaped collars and cuffs. The fabric is very nice, very comfortable.

11. FIHTies

doesn't seem like they slim too much from chest to waist, maybe a boxy look?

Certainly not the \\/ look that all the bodybuilders here on SF talk about but correct me if I am wrong but they start out "slimmer" than all those on BJornH's list?

Maybe I am making a mistake, thats why I asked.

12. drizzt3117

Certainly not the \\/ look that all the bodybuilders here on SF talk about but correct me if I am wrong but they start out "slimmer" than all those on BJornH's list?

Well, those measurements are consistent with RTW stuff like Turnbull & Asser IMO, which isn't considered slim afaik, although they are certainly slimmer than say, RTW Ralph Lauren regular fit or something like that. Slimming 0.75" from chest to waist seems to not be very much, though.

13. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Well-Known Member

The Bagutta shirts they currently have on Yoox are very good slim shirts to buy. The quality is very good for the 60-70 dollars you spend on one, single needle stitching, shell buttons, nicely shaped collars and cuffs. The fabric is very nice, very comfortable.
    Good to hear. [​IMG]

14. j

j Well-Known Member

Though they don't taper much, they are pretty slim in terms of neck size : chest size proportion, so they would be a better starting point than many shirts. I'd be interested to know the armhole sizes on them as well. Also, do they have back pleats? I've noticed that box pleats especially help negate any slim fittingness - they turn into 2"+ of extra fabric at the back waist.

15. FIHTies

Though they don't taper much, they are pretty slim in terms of neck size : chest size proportion, so they would be a better starting point than many shirts. I'd be interested to know the armhole sizes on them as well. Also, do they have back pleats? I've noticed that box pleats especially help negate any slim fittingness - they turn into 2"+ of extra fabric at the back waist.
    on a size 41, the armholes when tracing around the seam of the armhole was just under 11 inches when lying flat. By contrast a brooks brothers had just under 12 inches lying flat traced around the seams. An ascot Chang shirt I had was 12 inches. Is there a more accurate way to measure? No Box pleats on the back. Sent you a PM. Did you see it?

16. imageWIS

No Box pleats on the back.

Speaking of which, in my experience, not having any pleats in the shirt is yet another way of creating a slimming look, especially if rear darts are involved. Are my observations correct?

Jon.

17. FIHTies

Speaking of which, in my experience, not having any pleats in the shirt is yet another way of creating a slimming look, especially if rear darts are involved. Are my observations correct?

Jon.

Just to clarify, unlike the previous collection, these shirts do NOT have darts.

18. imageWIS

Just to clarify, unlike the previous collection, these shirts do NOT have darts.

Ah, sorry, maybe I should have been clearer: I was asking as a general question, not as a specific regarding the colleleciotn.

Jon.

19. FIHTies

Jon.

Ah, sorry, maybe I should have been clearer: I was asking as a general question, not as a specific regarding the colleleciotn.

Jon.

I understand but I thought that J answered that in this post.

Also, do they have back pleats? I've noticed that box pleats especially help negate any slim fittingness - they turn into 2"+ of extra fabric at the back waist.

20. imageWIS

I understand but I thought that J answered that in this post.

I completely missed that. So, I guess it is true; pleats make the shirt less slim...

Jon.