• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by najpie
Everyone, save yourself the time and money searching for an off the rack shirt and go MTM. Modern Tailor has a special, $19.99 for a test shirt. I got mine last week and am very, very pleased. It's now my favorite shirt.
+1000000000. I have been down this road. Its not worth spending so much time to figure out which is better fit. MTM is the way to go.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
I would.

I have a 42 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. Pretty developed shoulders, also. I'm not a huge guy or anything, but def athletic. BB extra slims fit me perfect. You have to size up one size. The larger waist comment shocks me. I own 3 extra slim sports shirt and 4 extra slim dress shirts and the waist is not big at all. Sure, they are not as trim as my MTM shirts, but pretty darn close.

I owned a few HM shirts when I was in college, and overall they were garbage (in my opinion). I'd size up and go BB x10000.

That's just my personal experience. The BB ESF shirt I had was snug in the chest and loose in the waist. More so than my H&M shirts. Also, if you size up the collar will be too large. What's the point then? You will never be able to wear that shirt with a tie.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for some casual shirts. How are BB slim fit oxford shirts compared to Polo custom fit oxford shirts?

Any insight is much appreciated.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been able to find plenty of slim fitting OTR rack shirts with no issue, but it comes with a pricier tag. I have had no luck (other than H&M and BB ESF) finding a well fitting shirt OTR for under $100. Not to mention, I can't stand ****** materials and buttons (which are an easy upgrade though). I don't mess with mall brands to find a slim fit shirt, not going to happen for me.

I'm assuming no one in this thread is looking to pay more than $50 for theirs? Epaulet (forum affiliate) over in SW&D side has some wonderful fitting shirts with great collars and materials that fit slim without being boyish. I highly recommend them.

Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I am in the market for some casual shirts. How are BB slim fit oxford shirts compared to Polo custom fit oxford shirts?

Any insight is much appreciated.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=140782

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
This seems like the best place to post this question; correct me if I am wrong or this has been answered before.

I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer as to where the shoulder / yoke measurement is actually supposed to fall on dress shirts.

As a slender guy, nearly all OTR shirts are too wide in the shoulders for me. My question is, between these two, which is better?

First, a shirt I ordered from moderntailor with a yoke measurement of 16.5:

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Second, a "slim fit" shirt from TM Lewin that I had tailored. I had to buy this exact shirt to match other guys in a wedding, and bought a 14.5x33.5 (their smallest size). Everything was still too large so I had my tailor shorten the sleeves by altering the shirt at the shoulders thereby narrowing the yoke as well. The yoke now measures about 17.5:

(plz ignore context)

47073_589208404556_8503920_34001817_1038775_n.jpg

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
also, this was posted earlier in the thread... is this a good indication of where the shoulder seams should be?

Shirt2.jpg

ghdtpdna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
also, this was posted earlier in the thread... is this a good indication of where the shoulder seams should be?

Shirt2.jpg

I think that is the perfect shoulder fit for slim fit shirts.
As for your shirts, 1st one fits slightly more loose than the picture while 2nd picture is a size too big.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
I'm looking for OTR tailored/slim fit dress shirts that are 28-29" long and 41-42" in the chest. DKNY Slim Fit, for example, is 30 inches long, but no chest measurements are listed for 34/35 shirts. 7 inch drop.

I've done plenty of research, it's very hard to find complete measurements on OTR items though. Emailed DKNY, will post info when I'm done.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Height 5'11
Weight 150lbs
Average to Slim Athletic Build

Burberry Polo Slim Fit M fits perfect.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, can we definitively say that MTM is the best place to go for slim fitting shirts? Otherwise, find a shirt off the rack and have it altered?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
So, can we definitively say that MTM is the best place to go for slim fitting shirts? Otherwise, find a shirt off the rack and have it altered?

From my experience MTM is best.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Any recommendations for a guy with a thick neck but is slim elsewhere? I wear a 16-16.5", but I have a 38 chest and a 32 waist. Makes buying shirts freakin' impossible.

I am the same size (not sure how tall you are though)
I found the slimmest are Barba, Emma Willis, Ralph Black Label and Richard James.
There are two cuts for RPBL - slim and slimmer

Paul Smith are also pretty trim

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how LandsEnd's non-iron trim fit OCBD compare to LL Bean's non-iron tailored fit OCBD fit- and quality-wise?

I have some BB's OCBD and would not mind trying LE and/or LLB's version.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Land's End = yuckness! Fit is horrible. Sleeves are wider than your mama jokes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads