1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Dark Knight: 1st Review

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Soph, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i actually liked the first batman alot... cant wait for this one.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Good to see the series back on track. Can't wait to see it.

4. GoSurface

GoSurface Well-Known Member

I almost always agree with Peter Travers.

5. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever seen a movie like this in an IMAX theather? I've seen the regular IMAX films but never a feature film shown in that kind of setting. Curious if it's worth it.

6. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever seen a movie like this in an IMAX theather? I've seen the regular IMAX films but never a feature film shown in that kind of setting. Curious if it's worth it.

If you sit in the middle, yes.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Looks to be better than the 1st film.
    Hard to do worse

8. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Hard to do worse

Batman Begins was great as far as superhero movies go.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Batman Begins was great as far as superhero movies go.
    I think it was terrible, with Bale as the only possible redeeming factor. My favorite review: Batman Begins is for morons

Spider Man, Iron Man were good, as far as superhero movies go

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Frank Miller's Batman: Year One is absolutely brilliant and should have been made into a film instead of that mush of an original screenplay.

That is to say nothing of The Dark Knight Returns, the greatest comic book ever. Sounds like this new movie owes more to Miller than its title. He was the first to treat the Joker as a deadly serious serial killer.

11. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Hard to do worse

Those unpalatable Joel Schumacher movies were.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Those unpalatable Joel Schumacher movies were.
    Probably but not 100% sure. They were absolutely awful but at least were not taking themselves too seriously. I think they can compete head to head. Nothing in the crappy Schumacher movies made me cringe as much as the last scene in Batman Begins with Bale and Holmes.

13. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I think it was terrible, with Bale as the only possible redeeming factor. My favorite review: Batman Begins is for morons Spider Man, Iron Man were good, as far as superhero movies go
    Spider Man 1 and 2 maybe, but not Iron Man, which was far more brainless than BB. And that review is rambling and needlessly insulting.

14. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

+1 on they should have used Year One as the basis for the first. But it was still much, much better than the Kilmer/Keating iterations. V. much looking forward to the new one.

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

16. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

I thought Batman Begins was awesome. I'm stoked for The Dark Knight.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

And that review is rambling and needlessly insulting.
    I find it hilarious and very close to my thoughts coming out of the theater. To each his own I guess...

18. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I just find it odd that you liked Iron Man if you felt that way about Batman.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I just find it odd that you liked Iron Man if you felt that way about Batman.
    Why? Iron Man has well written dialogue, well acted, it is funny and not full of random macDojo-shaolin-temple-one-liner bullshit that takes itself seriously. Completely different films. Iron Man is mostly a comedy IMO, with a superhero story as backbone. Favreau doing what he does best. It's not a masterpiece by any means and there are several things I thought sucked (e.g. Terrence Howard, the Transformers-like bs fight at the end...) but overall a pretty good one

20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I think it was terrible, with Bale as the only possible redeeming factor. My favorite review: Batman Begins is for morons

Spider Man, Iron Man were good, as far as superhero movies go

The Spider Man movies don't do much for me. They've trotted out the same movie three times now, and I wasn't that crazy about the first one. Toby Maguire's goggle-eyed portrayal of Peter Parker grates.

I liked Batman Begins. The review makes a few good points, but it's trying way too hard to be negative. It's like when a high school kid has to write criticism. This line, in particular, struck me: "None of the other elements that made the previous Batman movies so entertaining are present here. The film has no interesting villains. No Catwoman, no Mr. Freeze, no Penguin, no Poison Ivy, no Batgirl."

Mr. Freeze? Poison Ivy? Batgirl? Did he see that movie? It's one the worst pieces of garbage in the last two decades, and effectively killed off what had been a hugely successful franchise. He's got to be kidding.