1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. js0930

js0930 Well-Known Member

My dad once told me the decision to own something is the decision to buy it. If you wouldn't buy it for a dollar at a garage sale, what is it doing in your life (or at least your closet)? I know a dollar seems like a tiny amount, but think about it. Most people have things they own they wouldn't if they had to pay good money for them. And if you wouldn't pay money for it right now, you shouldn't own it.

3 people like this.
  2. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Lately I've had the weird sensation of not wanting/needing anything else in particular.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

4. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

i've gotten to the point where besides shoes I'm kind of happy with wearing like 80% uniqlo with a couple of higher end pieces mixed in.

1 person likes this.
  5. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

i wish i could sell all my clothes and just buy cheap nice stuff. and spent it all travelling or a worth while cause.

6. MS007

MS007 Well-Known Member

What holds you back?

1 person likes this.
  7. lineate

lineate Well-Known Member

This is exactly where I'm at. 80% Uniqlo, bit of COS, slightly smaller bit of higher end stuff. Done.

8. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

I'm gonna sell all my clothes.

And do something worthwhile now.

See you all at Buy and Sell!!!

9. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I get this attitude I guess, but I also don't think it's the point of this thread. What you're basically saying is that you're fine with having very bland, mediocre pieces as long as you accentuate them with some more exciting pieces. Whereas the point of this thread is more to celebrate those exciting pieces we already have.

2 people like this.
  10. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

I don't think contentedness applies only to interesting or expensive pieces. You can be happy/content with any good or item that you have, regardless of how exciting it is. For example, I like my old box style tv, even though it's not the nicest television and doesn't have exciting features- I'm content with it because I hate the way HDTV and artificial raised framerates look :laugh: Many people would say its not interesting/a nice tv, and I'd agree, but I'm still content.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

12. Noctone

Noctone Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

this is true, how interesting or expensive it is doesn't have to mean anything for whether you're content with it or not
    but I don't think most people come here to see that some guy is content with a nice but basic collection, people hope for some interesting reads whenever they see that there's a new post in this thread
    then again, basic pieces can be very interesting, but then you need some pictures, and preferably some nice stories along with it aswell

14. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Somewhat agree. She's promoting her shop and I hate when people try to pretend that buying designer and luxury clothing is somehow more economical - the numbers at the beginning of the article disprove that right off the bat. However, I posted it because I thought the part about how people used to construct a wardrobe slowly and carefully, and how that was a skill that was passed down, was very interesting even if it's not necessarily true (?). Most women I know literally buy a whole new wardrobe every few months from forever 21 or h&m.

15. Noctone

Noctone Well-Known Member

Her point is certainly applicable when viewed through the lens of this forum -- I think most people here are trying to build their wardrobes towards something that they can look at in the morning and see a bevy of cohesive, quality options that seamlessly match their lifestyle (as opposed to sighing and lamenting the incompleteness of it) -- but I think it falls apart when applied to the general population as she seems to be trying to do. People didn't necessarily curate wardrobes in the past because they wanted to, they did it because they had to. It's like when boomers bitch about the ubiquity of communication in the modern age somehow cheapening human connection -- what they're really doing is trying to retroactively romanticize and assign false depth to what in reality was their only option.

Clothing is, in the end, a commodity to most people, not an art form. She seems to be implying that there's some inherent objective good in curating a wardrobe of unique, quality pieces, and that really kind of irks me despite the fact that I consider it a very important (to me) subjective goal.

On a side note, I also find her editorial annoying because it's obnoxiously metropolocentric. The kind of shopping experience she advocates is out of reach for the overwhelming majority of people.

10 people like this.
  16. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but it's worth pointing out that for younger generations, these options become so much the norm that they don't understand the value of the other options, and never really give any thought to the choices that they're making. People who've gone through these changes do at least understand what they're gaining with new communication/fast fashion, and what there is to be appreciated with old fashioned communication and...fashion.

4 people like this.
  17. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that suits every day went out of style for most professions. If I had to wear a (conservative) suit every day I would be very unhappy

3 people like this.
  18. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I'm content with just looking at my clothes I never really wear yet I keep accumulating pieces here and there

I twist the coat hanger and make sure everything hung is aligned next to each other, and that each knit is neatly folded.

19. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

This is probably going to be the least "exciting" piece in the history of this thread, but here it goes:

[​IMG]

I got this fleece six years ago when I was still in highschool. It's been through more than any piece of clothing really should. As you can see, there's a huge whole developing on the bottom right, not to mention another one forming further to the right of that. It's been through hell, but it's still standing.

It's not an attractive piece, it's not interesting in and of itself. I initially bought it because my 10th grade English teacher had one similar that I really liked, and I figured during cold Scottish falls and springs, it would be nice to have. Well, six years on it's traveled a lot: it went with me in 11th grade to Malawi and Zambia to paint diagrams and maps in schools. It's traveled all over Europe on a variety of trips: whether it was getting drenched with rain in Santiago de Compostela or layering during a cold fall day in Portugal, it always did the job. It went with me a year ago when I traveled to Uganda with Engineers Without Borders, getting thrown in the mud and dirt over and over again while we stayed at an Orphanage. When I'm running to the store at midnight, it's the first thing I grab.

It's pretty much done everything, and though it doesn't look "good" anymore or go with most of the pieces I've added, I still can't help but smile every time I put it on because of how much it's been through.

5 people like this.