1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I'm going for as well.

2. hendrix

Absolutely. Every variation under the sun. It's ridiculous when you think about it.

3. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

For the longest time, I've been thinking that being content means not buying anything. I'm quite happy with what I do have, but like to pick up something else (usually on good sale) from time to time.

On a related note, I've become more and more happy with my little house. I'm nearly done furnishing it with vintage Danish teak furniture that I've found here and there at very reasonable prices. The only things left that I need are a bookshelf for my daughter's room, a small table for the kitchen, and four bases for my Eames fiberglass chairs.

4. Yardsale

Yardsale Well-Known Member

5. hendrix

Yeah, I never intended for this to be a No Purchases Club.

That's great about your house. Man, the idea of being anywhere near financially secure and settled enugh to purchase my own home is so ridiculously far away from me. I can't even imagine it. When I left high school I kinda thought i'd have my life sorted by now...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. artishard116

artishard116 Well-Known Member

student loans are a bitch... not sure how I'm ever supposed to move out of a shoebox apartment

7. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

Me too... back when I graduated HS (or even at college graduation) I figured I'd be more settled by now. I didn't think I'd be married or anything and definitely didn't think I'd have kids, but I figured I'd be at least somewhat established career-wise, earning a decent amount, etc...

Income based repayment (if you're loans are high enough). Right now I'm paying $45/month on my $120k of loans from law school :embar:
    (ok, that's a little exaggerated because it's based off of my tax returns from 2011, when I didn't start working until halfway through the year. But IIRC if you earn $50k/yr or so your payments would still be only about $400/mo which isn't too bad)

8. artishard116

I take issue with the plan though (used to be on it) because it doesn't take into account things like location/cost of living. I live in nyc, my rent, is almost 50% of my income... On paper it looks I make enough but in reality the cost of living here, crazy taxes, etc, mean I take home an abysmal percentage of my paycheck.

9. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

move to brooklyn

10. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

I can only possibly afford to pay my loans on IBR. On the regular 30-year plan I'd have to pay $900/mo and on the 10yr repayment they automatically start on it would've been a ridiculous $1700/mo.

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Honestly every time I hear about student loans I'm really glad I decided not to jump straight into grad school. It's really shitty to get tied down like that right when you graduate.

12. Noctone

Noctone Well-Known Member

I get sad whenever I think about how much better my life would be without student loan payments. $835.45/month. :fu: :fu: :fu:

13. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

lol fuck school

3 people like this.
  14. artishard116

I live in brooklyn.

1 person likes this.
  15. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

i'm still in the "acquiring student debt" phase of my life...i guess i better enjoy it while it lasts? i would so love to get a job right out of undergrad, but i'll probably put off entering the real world to spend an additional 6 years acquiring another silly piece of paper

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  16. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

move to sunset park, or better yet bed stuy

17. hendrix

18. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Fuck, if I wasn't drunk, I could leave you an essay on this jacket. I'll leave you guys with a picture for now. Great thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

I know. But, for some reason, I have been thinking all along that, if I am content, I shouldn't be buying anything. Silly me.

If it helps you guys, I'm just now 39 and finally feeling settled, owning the home I love, with no more students loans (didn't have much to begin with, though). My plan is to be debt-free* by 40. That's the last major hurdle to being truly content.

*except for a mortgage and car loan payment.

20. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Well-Known Member

As douchey as this sounds buying clothes and putting an outfit together is like painting a picture for me. As long as I have this 'creative' sensibility when I look at individual pieces of clothing I don't think I'll ever stop. It's not that I'm not content with what I already have, there's just that natural inclination to explore new looks.