1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The bottom of your shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by montecristo#4, Sep 15, 2004.

1. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

(T4phage @ 16 Sep. 2004, 06:41) Clean the sole of your shoes, then apply warm linseed oil with a toothbrush. Â Helps waterproof the bottoms.
    Does it enhance the appearance?
    No, not really.

2. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I've used some Obenauf's on soles before, although it will darken them some.

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Back when I was an Episcopalian altar boy, some of the manuals for altar boys prescribed polishing the soles of one's shoes since they would be very visible to the congregation. I seem to have the notion that the soles of formal shoes should be blackened. Otherwise I have never heard of putting polish or dressing on soles. An exception would be edge dressing, such as Allen Edmonds sells, that I put on the visible edges of my leather-soled shoes.

Concerning putting oil on the soles of the shoes, wouldn't there be a danger that that would soften them, making them kind of "punky," hence more prone to damage or abrasion?

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

seems like you'd leave marks on the church carpet...maybe they wanted to keep track of where the altar boys are going.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

When I was a young teen, I worked for one summer doing shoeshines in a barbershop...I was taught to use liquid polish (in the bottle with the attached sponge) to go around the edge of the sole and heel. [​IMG]

6. Rabbi Mark

Rabbi Mark Well-Known Member

Don't do it. You'll stain the carpet and after all why bother? I like the idea of an oil treatment and walking on wet sidewalks today in Manhattan I see the appeal, but polish?

I think it would give, most of all, the impression that one doesn't walk anywhere, ever, or gets carried in a sedan chair on the rare event that one does actually leave the house. So I guess if you're going for that Last Emperor of China look, go for it.

Good thing you brought this up. Nice to see an almost universal reply on a topic of men's aesthetics.

7. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Well-Known Member

Strikes me as a bit effete... and, yeah -- the whole carpeting thing...

8. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

It's more about increasing the longevity of the soles than it is about making them pretty.

9. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Word of extreme caution before doing this.

In one of my genius moments I decided to do this to the bottoms of my riding boots so they would not soak in water when I was washing down a horse...

There is a little known rule in the game of polo - if you fall off while playing (AkA unscheduled dismount) you owe the other players a case of beer. I bought 3 cases of beer after the next match when I made the only thing between me and the orthopedic surgeon slick.

Lesson: He who mixes slippery stuff with the sole of his shoe had better expect to fall on his rear. Imagine stepping on wet pavement and landing on the back of that Super 150's suit.

10. rws

rws Active Member

Years ago, I learned that Spanish noblemen (well, at least some members of the Spanish nobility) were nearly fanatical about having the entire soles of their shoes polished. The aesthetic desire seemed to have been to present a monochrome appearance on the foot (indeed, I don't remember seeing any "spectator" shoes on noble Spanish feet.). I don't know whether this insistence is still prevalent. (My observation was made as Franco's rule was waning, at a time when many old-fashioned social rules still appertained in Spain.) But (with apologies to Mark Bateman) having one's shoes resoled with synthetics instead of leather can satisfy that aesthetic desire.