1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The best "working" American Filmmakers.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Tokyo Slim, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Please clarify.

Do you mean:

1) They have to be alive and have directed films recently

Yes. Or are currently working on films. They also have to be American.

I think this much should be obvious. Both Spielberg and Scorcese are hanging around my list because of their overall body of work, not because their last movies were awesome.

3. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I assumed he meant that both had to be true.

That said, I want to mention Albert Maysles (and his late brother). I saw him speak last year at the Hammer Museum and he showed a bunch of footage he'd shot of Brando in the 60's. Love his work, though he's not exactly cranking out new stuff these days.

4. Tokyo Slim

I assumed he meant that both had to be true.

That said, I want to mention Albert Maysles (and his late brother). I saw him speak last year at the Hammer Museum and he showed a bunch of footage he'd shot of Brando in the 60's. Love his work, though he's not exactly cranking out new stuff these days.

Just saw Muhammad and Larry the other night.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Inspired by the "Ten movies everyone should own" thread. I got to thinking about it, and there are a LOT of great modern American film directors. I'm going to have almost as hard a time with this as I did narrowing down the above mentioned "ten" movies.

1: Darren Aronofsky. Check this out. 1998-Now. Pi, Requiem For A Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler. I'm riding the hot hand until he falters.

2: Terrence Malick. I'd settle for lesser movies, if he made twice as many.
    3: Steven Spielberg (Though I think he's past his prime)
    4: David Fincher. Honestly, Alien3 wasn't his fault. After that, Se7en, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room, Zodiac, Benjamin Button. More than solid.
    5: Quentin Tarantino. I know its a controversial choice, but despite all his flaws, of which there are admittedly many, I think he is brilliant.
    6: Martin Scorcese. I don't think I have to explain this. His recent stuff has been pretty meh though. I think he's declining.
    7: Brad Bird. I know, a curveball, right? Animated movies are still movies.
    8: Clint Eastwood. About a quarter of the movies he's directed, I find unwatchable. Then again, he actually got a little bit of acting out of Kevin Costner. An impressive feat.
    9: Steven Soderbergh: Hit and miss. When he does either, he does it to the extreme. Dude works constantly, always tries new things. Innovates. He will make movies that most people will never see, just to make them.
    10: Spike Lee. Kind of the same story IMO as Soderbergh. I hate his "misses" but I love his "hits".

This seems reasonable at first glance, I would remove Aronofsky and add the Coen brothers in the list. I didnt know Mendes was a Brit.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Yes. Or are currently working on films. They also have to be American.

I think this much should be obvious. Both Spielberg and Scorcese are hanging around my list because of their overall body of work, not because their last movies were awesome.

Ok then, not feeling that inspired so I'm probably missing obvious choices

Brian De Palma
    Richard Linklater
    James Gray
    Errol Morris
    Gus Van Sant
    David Mamet
    Jim Jarmusch
    Alan Rudolph
    Spike Lee
    Woody Allen

7. Kd88

Kd88 Well-Known Member

michael mann

+1

8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

gus van sant? seriously?

also oliver stone. you could argue he's produced a lot of crap, but spike lee hasn't made a good movie since the 80s, so...

9. Oldboy

Oldboy Well-Known Member

10. Tokyo Slim

spike lee hasn't made a good movie since the 80s, so...

I happened to like Inside Man.

Also, When the Levees Broke, and the 25th hour.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Good list except for Fincher, who I wouldn't hesitate to call a fraud.

12. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

michael mann

Really? I mean unless Public Enemies was the shit he hasn't made a great movie since Ali (which is debatable).

Agree with kunk etc.--PT Anderson has to be on here.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Good list except for Fincher, who I wouldn't hesitate to call a fraud.

Mine is better :p

To be honest I haven't seen that much recent US films. I'm going to watch In search of a midnight kiss and medicine for melancholy soon, those were supposedly pretty good.

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

also ridley scott. ridley scott is amazing: kingdom of heaven (watch the director's cut, seriously), blade runner, etc.

my issue with inside man is that it was too typically spike lee. I get that new york is oh my god the most cosmopolitian city in the world, but seriously, we don't need random scenes of cultural dialogue to add 'mood'. the movie was only ok because clive owen is awesome.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I will admit that PTA and Shyamalwayan are much bigger frauds than Fincher. Different leagues.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

also ridley scott. ridley scott is amazing: kingdom of heaven (watch the director's cut, seriously), blade runner, etc.

my issue with inside man is that it was too typically spike lee. I get that new york is oh my god the most cosmopolitian city in the world, but seriously, we don't need random scenes of cultural dialogue to add 'mood'. the movie was only ok because clive owen is awesome.

Ridley Scott is british...

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I will admit that PTA and Shyamalwayan are much bigger frauds than Fincher. Different leagues.
    Yeah well Fincher directed fight club and it is quite entertaining, haven't liked anything else of his. PTA has hard eight and boogy night, which were pretty great.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

gus van sant? seriously?

also oliver stone. you could argue he's produced a lot of crap, but spike lee hasn't made a good movie since the 80s, so...

Gus Van sant is amazingly good. As for Stone well I must admit I really like JFK.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Yeah well Fincher directed fight club and it is quite entertaining, haven't liked anything else of his. PTA has hard eight and boogy night, which were pretty great.

I'm glad we sometimes find things to disagree about.

20. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Really? You don't like Shyamalan? I admit his stuff of late hasn't been up to snuff, but I think a lot of his films are extremely well orchestrated.