1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Belt-less look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shadowsnuzzy, Jun 25, 2013.

Is omitting the belt a good choice?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. shadowsnuzzy

shadowsnuzzy Well-Known Member

We all know it is essential to match your belt - brown, black, whatever - with your shoes. But what do you guys think about omitting the belt in a suit all together?

The rational is that this is a "fresher" look and allows the vertical lines in an outfit to flow seamlessly, whereas a belt supposedly breaks the vertical flow. And if you're worried about leaving your shoes hanging without a partner, you could always pair it with a leather watch strap to show that you put some thought into the outfit! What do you guys think?

For the sake of this thread lets assume you don't need extra help holding up your pants :p

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. emiristol

emiristol Well-Known Member

It's fine as long as the trousers don't have belt loops.

3. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Well-Known Member

All my suits are without belt loops. side adjusters only.

4. letmefly

letmefly Well-Known Member

I would have to say that it varies with different suits and outfits. Most of the time I wear a belt but sometimes you really feel that the belt breaks the lines so badly that I've skipped the belt even on some pants with belt loops...

5. lychyrychy

i can see with cotton, linen or casual suits your way, still, my pref is side adjuster :D

6. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I wear all of my suits with suspenders/braces because it's more comfortable and looks neater, not so much because of vertical lines but because the trousers hang better.

7. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

My thoughts exactly, the suit jacket suppose to cover up the belt anyways, so visually there is no breaking of the outfit.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  8. lychyrychy

old mem stuff haha just kidding :)

9. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Purely personal choice and neither good nor bad. The poll question is not well thought through to get a meaningful result. Should be - 'Do you prefer...' or similar.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I get suits made with side adjusters and suspender buttons. I have one BB suit with belt loops but then one's choices with RTW are more limited. Entirely personal preference, though, IMO.

11. letmefly

letmefly Well-Known Member

For the sake of the thread would it not be assumed that the pants in question have belt loops? If you have no loops and side adjusters it's not really an option to wear a belt. Unless of course you're a girl and the pants are a skirt...

12. shadowsnuzzy

shadowsnuzzy Well-Known Member

Yea that seems obvious so we'll assume that the pants DO have belt loops. Is it necessary to fill them in?

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

+1

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Pointless discussion really. Do what you like, what looks or feels best. You should have your jacket buttoned almost all the time anyway so the belt is only visible when you unbutton it to sit down, at which point any discussion about breaking vertical lines becomes moot.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

As others have said, side adjusters are essential. No belt loops.

16. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

+1, I meant no break in my post earlier, corrected now

17. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the OP is going on about. I know of no rule that says you should have a belt with a suit at all in the first place. Different question with separates.