1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The axe thread - Best Made Co.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lefty, Mar 7, 2010.

1. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Everyone finds value in different ways. We're on a forum where various retailers take traditional American shoes (for example), tweak the style or finish and sell them at a premium. Usually there a SF feeding frenzy for them.

In this case, yes, you are paying a premium for a limited edition paint job that, once sold, is gone forever. Is that worth it? You decide. I see these as unique gift items for the "woodsman" in all of us. And as a casual woodsman myself I appreciate that they work and are not pretend axes. As a creative guy I appreciate anyone who can make me look at something common in a new light.

Axes/dogs/pants/general grumpiness = lefty.

Agreed in principle, and understand the the standard vs. limited edition argument. I just can't quite grasp the price differences amoung the lmtd. models which seem to run btwn $300 & $500. Maybe some of the limited are more limited than others? [​IMG]

2. Benzito

Benzito Well-Known Member

#1 survival tool.

You can do everything with an axe that you can with a knife and then some: build a shelter, skin an animal, cut firewood, and defend yourself.

lefty

Bullshit. I can't imagine picking sesame seeds from between my teeth with a seven pound axe head. It's hard enough slipping a shiv in the prison showers, how do you realistically expect a fella to sneak in an axe with handle? Up his ass?

3. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

There are no 7 lb axe heads. That would be a maul. But you can use a Hudson's Bay axe to both pick your teeth and shove up your ass. Handle's only 24".

[​IMG]

I recommend a doe's foot butt though for ease of entry.

lefty

4. Benzito

Benzito Well-Known Member

There is something to be said about the scariness of a fella wielding an axe (compared to some other weapon, including a gun). A guy having the balls to walk around with a big axe probably doesn't have any hang ups about using it if you piss him off. If he pulled it out of his asshole first, I think I'd run away without second thought.

Why wouldn't that be useful in NYC or Philly?

5. Roy

Roy Well-Known Member

Nice prop. I really wish I had a reason - any reason - to own a nicely made axe in my NYC apartment. But I'm not sure that fits well into the current child-proofing phase...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Bullshit. I can't imagine picking sesame seeds from between my teeth with a seven pound axe head. It's hard enough slipping a shiv in the prison showers, how do you realistically expect a fella to sneak in an axe with handle? Up his ass?

ha. Anyhow, an axe is the most important tool you can have for survival in a wooded area. It's the equivalent of a machete in the jungle.

7. mtechnic

mtechnic Well-Known Member

Other axes to check out are Gränsfors. A little more rustic but well regarded. The Swedes know wood cutting.

[​IMG]

lefty

that throwing axe is amazing

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

good thread Lefty.

I saw a show about axes. Truly nice ones are real pieces of art, working art that is.

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

that throwing axe is amazing

The double bit axe is a handy tool if you have to fell a number of trees. You can let one bit take some abuse on the rougher parts of a tree (the swell or roots) and still keep a keen edge on the other.

Check out the sharpness on this Gränsfors:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Tomahawk Guy has some mad throwing skills:

good thread Lefty.

I saw a show about axes. Truly nice ones are real pieces of art, working art that is.

Bingo.

lefty

10. robin

robin Well-Known Member

11. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

12. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

No doubt an axe is a very useful tool in a woodland survival situation.
    But when you pack an axe, it's quite a commitment in terms of weight and size which may force you to compromise in other areas in order to manage your load(-out).

Opinions?

13. fredfred

fredfred Well-Known Member

I get nervous about Leftys running around with axes. [​IMG]

Yeah, especially if he's buying them in Tribeca. Damn.

14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I was wondering when they'd release a $95 hatchet with a pink paint job. Now I know.

Everyone needs an axe and a little pink in their lives.

No doubt an axe is a very useful tool in a woodland survival situation.
    But when you pack an axe, it's quite a commitment in terms of weight and size which may force you to compromise in other areas in order to manage your load(-out).

Opinions?

[​IMG]

This forest axe is 1.2 kg. That's 2.6 lbs of live-saving tool. Leave the blow dryer at home.

lefty

15. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

An axe company in Tribeca selling $200-400 axes [​IMG]

Wow, hipster axes.

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Lost in the woods with nothing but an axe . . .

Stranded man cuts power poles to draw attention.

The man reported he had been on a boat on the lake when he hit bad weather. He ended up stranded in the bush, with no way to communicate with the outside world, Parker said.

But he had an axe and he knew SaskPower would have to check the downed line, so he went to work.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa...#ixzz0q6DINk8E

lefty

17. robin

robin Well-Known Member

^ not a bad idea.

18. CMJTperry

CMJTperry Well-Known Member

I thought this was a thread about Guitars when I opened it.

19. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

Lost in the woods with nothing but an axe . . .

Stranded man cuts power poles to draw attention.

The man reported he had been on a boat on the lake when he hit bad weather. He ended up stranded in the bush, with no way to communicate with the outside world, Parker said.

But he had an axe and he knew SaskPower would have to check the downed line, so he went to work.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa...#ixzz0q6DINk8E

lefty

I see a market niche for an axe-shaped cell phone...

20. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member