1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ascendancy of J. Crew - all good?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TCN, Aug 16, 2010.

1. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I assume that what Americans call Swiss cheese is your favorite dairy product?

- B

Only when melted over a dead horse.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

I don't understand how J. Crew's bringing quality makers into the mainstream and simultaneously upping its own standards can possibly be a bad thing. Honestly, to the folks complaining about the "mainstreamization" of labels like Alden or Thomas Mason, who cares? Does some average schmuck's wearing of a quality item somehow diminish the quality of yours?

I feel like I'm reading a rant on Pitchfork about how some obscure band "sold out" because more than 12 people now know about its existence.

3. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I don't understand how J. Crew's bringing quality makers into the mainstream and simultaneously upping its own standards can possibly be a bad thing. Honestly, to the folks complaining about the "mainstreamization" of labels like Alden or Thomas Mason, who cares? Does some average schmuck's wearing of a quality item somehow diminish the quality of yours?

I feel like I'm reading a rant on Pitchfork about how some obscure band "sold out" because more than 12 people now know about its existence.

So you don't see the fun in the question I take it? Perhaps tomorrow would be a better day to ask?

4. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Well-Known Member

So you don't see the fun in the question I take it? Perhaps tomorrow would be a better day to ask?

You're presupposing that there was fun to be seen.

5. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

You're presupposing that there was fun to be seen.

Was this to kick me or fellate the others? Either way, thank you.

6. butterflystyle

Was this to kick me or fellate the others? Either way, thank you.

I'm under the impression that the true fun is in doing both simultaneously whilst someone else films to proceedings.

7. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Time to give up all those douche-y high-end labels and get back to basics.

8. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I'm under the impression that the true fun is in doing both simultaneously whilst someone else films to proceedings.

Well that's where the money is.

9. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

J. Crew is my favorite mainstream store especially for certain sweaters.

10. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

J. Crew is my favorite mainstream store especially for certain sweaters.

A few years back when they made a big deal about their Loro Piana cashmere sweaters, I bought a few and wasn't thrilled with them. Lots of pilling.

11. butterflystyle

I love me some J Crew. I have to wear tall, which REALLY limits my options, they are one of the few stores that speaks to my preppy aesthetic without being foppish. I would love if it VV made clothes in tall, but unfortunately they do not. Not that J Crews label partners will produce anything in a tall, but if the ethos of moving upmarket provides a source or high quality clothing in tall that's not also big, then bring it on.

12. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I love me some J Crew. I have to wear tall, which REALLY limits my options, they are one of the few stores that speaks to my preppy aesthetic without being foppish. I would love if it VV made clothes in tall, but unfortunately they do not. Not that J Crews label partners will produce anything in a tall, but if the ethos of moving upmarket provides a source or high quality clothing in tall that's not also big, then bring it on.

Shoes too? One of my partners is 6'5" and wears a size 15 shoe. He actually uses Russell Moc. (a J crew partner - and a really neat place if you're ever in that part of the world) for less expensive "custom" casual shoes.

13. butterflystyle

Shoes too? One of my partners is 6'5" and wears a size 15 shoe. He actually uses Russell Moc. (a J crew partner - and a really neat place if you're ever in that part of the world) for less expensive "custom" casual shoes.

Thank god I can wear regular shoes, I wear a 12/12.5D, I am just 6'3" and it's ALL torso which is kind of unfortunate (I have a 34" inseam).

This conversation just took a very intimate, and not totally unwelcome turn.

14. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

Thank god I can wear regular shoes, I wear a 12/12.5D, I am just 6'3" and it's ALL torso which is kind of unfortunate (I have a 34" inseam).

This conversation just took a very intimate, and not totally unwelcome turn.

Would you like to come up and see my etchings? ;-)

Count yourself lucky, the shoe thing is brutal from what I've seen.

15. Dewi

Dewi Well-Known Member

Would you like to come up and see my etchings? ;-)

Count yourself lucky, the shoe thing is brutal from what I've seen.

Eddie Izzard reference? Nice.

16. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I like them, but I liked them better when they were quirky. I still have a pair of reversible shorts and a reversible sweatshirt from maybe 1990.

17. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I too remember ordering stuff from the J Crew catalogs in the late 80's and I like a lot of what J Crew is doing and selling these days.

I just worry that since a lot of what they are selling is quite similar to stuff I already own I will be typecast as just being a J Crew wannabe and when this trend ends, as it inevitably will, people will assume I'm still stuck in a J Crew mold.

Then again, I'm still a bigger fan of Brooks Brothers and LL Bean.

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I like what J.Crew is doing but I wonder if this will be successful for them.

19. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

After reading this I realize that J Crew must be stopped AT. ALL COSTS. And there is only one way to do it.. grab your pitchforks and meet me at the nearest locations....

20. arc

arc Well-Known Member

If you guys are worried about this degrading the exclusivity of your brands, you need to find more exclusive brands. [​IMG] I could buy any of these things from a handful of shops within a couple miles of my house, barring maybe the Belstaff, and I don't live in a good city for shopping (referring to DC right now, not London). It's supposed to be about style anyway, not brand.