1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Disagree.

Well played.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Nothing personal, but this statement is typical of the everybody-gets-a-trophy social norm.
    Sure, of course your opinion is "valid", in the sense that we all like what we like and we're just talking here so there's no reason you shouldn't contribute your thoughts - which you did cogently and intelligently.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what saying your opinion is "valid" means, aside from the fact that Finn's observation made you feel defensive. Everyone's honest opinion is equally valid, or not, as an expression of their subjective views and preferences. But some opinions are more informed, more educated, or just more insightful than others. Statements like "my opinion is valid because it's my opinion" often carry an undercurrent of "stop trying to confuse the issue with facts".

1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

On some level this is where you went astray. IMO, there's architects and then there's "architects." "Architects," whether from professional success already achieved, or from inherited wealth, (a fairly material portion of "architects" in my admittedly limited experience), need only hire clients that allow them to design for the sake of architecture. As this thread is about "architecture" what you have proposed here might not be as correct as you think.

Then again, I'm probably way off base, so there's that.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Private commissions happen for all sort of reasons. Le Corbusiers early private residences were often commissioned by people wanted to encourage a young aspiring architect and give him space to work out the mechanics of his ideas.

The rational design of today likely would not exist without private money encouraging creativity well out of the established norm.

There is no reason why the same event should not continue.

2 people like this.
  5. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

6. lawyerdad

I'm not sure I follow the distinction. We respond aesthetically to Faberge eggs as well. although one difference might be that with eggs (I could be totally wrong here, since I know little about them) awareness of and conscious allusions to the idiosyncratic design features of prior eggs may not be a common element of the aesthetic.
    But then I live in an apartment, so my opinion may not be valid. :)

7. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

You want to exclude non-experts from this thread? Fine, but you can't extend that elitism to aesthetic judgements about housing design in general. We've all got skin in that game.
    Forget the egg. All I'm saying is I may be in the market for such a house, and I do live in houses, so my aesthetic and 'liveability' responses are valid. I'm not responding as an architect. So if the place looks and feels like an underground carpark to me, who's to deny it?

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

NY LOFT
    Andrew Franz Architect
    NY, USA
    1884 / 2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I really like that and am very impressed the architect lived to be 130 years old!

10. Find Finn

It was renovated in 14 by the architect and the building is from 1884.

They are still building Gaudis stuff and he has been dead for years.

11. lawyerdad

Dude, stop acting like such a whiny little child.
    I never said I wanted to exclude non-experts (which would include me) from this thread.
    You posted a comment, which -- as I explicitly stated -- is totally fine. That's the whole point of the thread. Finn responded with relevant, relatively expert comments suggesting that you might be lacking context (as many of us, including myself were) for some of the design elements. Which is also completely consistent with the point of the thread. The idea is for people to discuss a subject of common interest, not just to be a drop box for hermetically sealed opinions.
    You posted a classically defensive "hey, it's a free country and my opinion is my opinion and everybody's entitled to their opinion so stop trying to subject me to information that might possibly enlarge my understanding or enhance the discussion by pointing out something that might inform my opinion or those of others reading the thread".
    I pointed that out. I never once suggested you shouldn't post what you think. I simply pointed out that if you post what you think, you should certainly expect people to respond with comments along the lines of, "what you posted about what you think suggests to me that you may not have considered ______"

1 person likes this.
  12. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

@lawyerdad You're derailing. Let it go.

13. lawyerdad

If by "derailing" you mean amusing myself by calling out your self-pitying bullshit, then you're right. It's just my opinion, though, so no reason for you to worry about it.

14. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

When trying to be StephenHero goes wrong...

15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the "cool objects and furniture" thread hasn't derailed into warm color palates and Yankee Candle limited editions

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

There goes my next post.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  17. Find Finn

Well they are round so they will go with they rest of your place.

18. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

sometimes, a room just needs to smell like sugar cookie.

19. Find Finn

I'm sure the Brazilian house would become more homey, if it smelled like that.

1 person likes this.
  20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

look what you have brought to this thread with your mentions of warm color palates and yankee candles

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015