1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Heading to Paris ths August, so I may make time for villa savoye.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

What do people still read that, whats next people reading Vice.

3. why

why Well-Known Member

Huh? Most good knives are good because they're made from the more brittle tool steels than other alloys (softer stainless, aluminum). That's one of the reasons for the introduction of ceramic knives now that ceramics have advanced to a point where their inherent brittleness is mitigated by their extreme hardness.

4. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

:puzzled:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. why

why Well-Known Member

The structural properties of a material are always important in whatever role it's being used in. (You wouldn't put a cold-worked steel roof on a house, for example, because the material's structural properties make it unsuitable for that application).

I guess I could've said 'poor structural material properties' or 'poor structural material for that application' in the first quote, but I typed it in haste and figured it was implied based on the context since I was referring to all the exposed concrete in the photos.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Knives dull either by bending or chipping on the edge. That generally comes from contact with a cutting surface. Ideally, with a table knife you would prefer a slightly bent edge to a chipped one, since it is a bit easier to true over time without disturbing the look of the entire blade, and a rolled edge isn't visible versus a chip which is, and that matters with a steak knife. Since porcelain is very hard, harder than a knife as opposed to wood which is soft, it is going to tend to chip harder steel knives.

In other words, since steak knives and kitchen/utility knives are used for different things, on different surfaces and are valued for different reasons, a material which makes one good makes another poor. Or, perhaps, "The structural properties of a material are always important in whatever role it's being used in. (You wouldn't put a cold-worked steel roof on a house, for example, because the material's structural properties make it unsuitable for that application)."

On top of that, of course, soft cladding can be done with a large range of metals. Cheap laminated steel is only one of them, and kind of a tacky one.

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

we need new flatware. time to ponder.

8. SkinnyGoomba

9. gomestar

probably not, due to lack of space and the need for everyday use

I love these, but they're a tad pricey

[​IMG]

10. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

Church Fight!

Matisse - The Chapelle d Saint-Marie du Rosaire
    http://idlespeculations-terryprest....04/chapelle-du-saint-marie-du-rosaire-in.html

Gaudi - The Basilica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia

Having visited both sites and spent time in them makes you appreciate architecture for the sheer fact that you can represent the one idea in so many ways.
    These churches are on different planets with regards to design, execution and intent.

11. SkinnyGoomba

You can use silver daily, some do :embarrassed: The set you chose is very nice looking. I save the candelabras for company.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Don't get silver flat wear.

Robert Welch could be a good option
    www.robertwelch.com

13. itsstillmatt

We use silver every day. It is no problem.

14. why

why Well-Known Member

Tool steels rarely chip from the kind of forces involved in cutting a piece of meat or pressing against a porcelain surface. The plate would shatter before a well-made alloy knife chips. Using softer alloys to avoid chipping makes little sense since it just increases the likelihood of the edge bending, while the near-zero chance of it chipping remains, well, near zero.

Laminated steel for a steak knife seems largely ornamental and pointless though.

15. why

why Well-Known Member

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Frank anoints himself King of Toronto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. itsstillmatt

As I am sure you know, vg-10 is not a tool steel. It is a cutlery steel which has been very successful but plagued with chipping problems. Nevertheless, we are far afield now. Whether a tool steel would have been an appropriate choice isn't really the question. It might have been. The default for steak knives has been softer steel, so if he had deviated to a tool steel then the choice could have been defended on functional grounds. But he didn't, he decided on a rather inappropriate material clad with a low quality laminate for aesthetic purposes. In reality, that blade is basically the same that Shun uses for almost every knife, so he just slapped a chose a wood and let the shape follow the rest of his cutlery line. Whatever, it doesn't fit with what he has built a career doing.

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. why

why Well-Known Member

I don't know what VG-10 is since it's not in any international standards I can find. I figured for a higher quality knife it would use a tool steel or a high-hardness stainless at the bare minimum. So yeah, looks like the knife is functionally silly. I assumed a premium knife would cut better and do its job better than a non-premium one. Guess not.

20. gomestar