1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

I don't see why the top and bottom bezels need to match. If you want to leave the button as is, fine. No reason to have such a large top bezel.

2. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Need doesn't even enter into it. I just don't think Apple would ever sacrifice that symmetry for a little bit more screen.

3. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought they'd have a protruding camera, either, but here we are :)

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Isn't the protruding camera only on the Plus version or am I wrong?

I don't like it either from a design standpoint, but most cases should make it flush once on. Personally I gave up on not using a case when I shattered my screen. Only time it ever happened was the couple months I went without and I've dropped my phone more then a few times over the years.

5. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Apple filed a patent for interchangeable lenses for a protruding camera in 2012. There might be more to this in newer generations.

6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

AAAAARRRRRGHGHHHH :fu: i have a U2 album on my phone now

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's both.

Despite being disappointed with the release, I'm probably going to go ahead an upgrade. Actually, what I'm most looking forward to is being able to use a fingerprint to unlock (I'm on a 5). With the ability to get a pretty good priced for your used phone and get the upgrade discount, it almost doesn't make sense not to.

Not sure what to do for my work phone, though. I'm due for an upgrade there also. Using the original motorola razr maxx, and it's been great for work - great call quality, speakerphone, and battery. I haven't looked at the android market lately, and it's confusing as hell. 4.7" iPhone won't have the battery life I need, so it's either deal with the 5.5", or find something on the Android side.

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

You made me check mine. After clicking something I maybe shouldn't, I got it too. If only it had been War.

9. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

If the note is too big, go for the LG G3. It also has replaceable batteries so you can just charge another. I liked it a lot and even though it's 5.5" it is about .25" smaller than the iphone 6+.

Also, most carriers are giving $200-300 credit if you trade in your iPhone 4s, 5, 5s and upgrade to a new 6 on a 2 year contract. http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/verizon-atnt-trade-in-iphone/

It makes the upgrade practically free for the 16gb and only 100-200 for the bigger storage now

10. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

LG and HTC were on my radar, but I just checked out the company options, and all they have is the 5S and Galaxy S5. They used to have a bunch of options for each carrier, but it looks like they may have consolidated. I'm not a big Samsung fan, so not sure what I'll do now. Have to wait and see which version of the iPhone 6 they offer.

Also have to look at how much I'd be able to get on my own for my 5 vs. what I'll get trading in through the carrier. Much easier to go through the carrier and be done with it.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

That Hodinkee review is shilltastic.

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Agreed - Clymer is not exactly the most critical of reviewers, nor is his horologic knowledge that great. That being said, if you have an iPhone and are thinking about spending $500 or so on a casual watch and don't care about mechanical watches, of course you will buy an Apple Watch.

The thing is, the watches are so dependent on the phones that you are only going to sell to a subset of your already existing customer base. I doubt the Apple Watch is so great that it will cause someone to switch.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    @dcg if I was going to go for an Android right now it would be the new Moto X. Getting great reviews and I love the customization options and how they improved the git and finish over the old version. Just not sure I could live with a 5.1 inch phone. Otherwise I'd seriously consider switching for it.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

These look great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They really nailed it with the straps.

This round concept looks amazing. But it's totally unrealistic. Too thin and wouldn't be able to fit the internals necessary to support its current capabilities. That said, I feel like the Apple Watch's OS would work decently on a round screen. Am I wrong?

[​IMG]

16. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll check that out. I need to confirm what's available through work - I'm definitely going to stick with Apple for my personal phone, but my preferences when it comes to a work phone are a little different. I was thinking of an HTC One remix with the 4.5" screen, but that's about the same size as the 4.7" iphone (and thicker, but likely with a bigger battery).

While the call quality, speakerphone, and batter life on the razr maxx have been great, it's definitely sluggish compared to my iphone. And the difference is not subtle. Razr X came out almost a year before the iPhone 5, so that may be part of it. I'll need to play with some of the new Android phones in person once I confirm what my options are.

One of the major benefits to Apple is that they don't let the carriers install all their own crap on the OS.

17. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

After you get your work phone just towel root it. A different ROM will blow any iphone away. It allows you to get all the bloat crap off

18. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Not sure if work IT allows that - I know there's some kind of software they install.

Back on topic for the iPhone - Amazon seems to have pretty good offers for trading in your current phone (as long as you don't mind an Amazon credit vs. cash). Carrier dependent, but they offered me $235 for a 16 GB Black 5 (non S) in perfect condition. Sprint's offer was $145.

19. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Can you describe perfect condition? My screen has always had a protector on it but my case has some little scratches here and there from dirt in between the case.

20. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Double checked, and they actually describe it as "like new". You can check all the details at http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=2226766011

Criteria for "like new" are:

Item is in perfect working condition
    The original manufacturer packaging and all original accessories are intact
    There is no visible wear or personalization
    Suitable for presenting as a gift

Of course, they have to look at it once it arrives, but I'm not too concerned - mine was a warranty replacement probably 6-7 months ago and has been in a case the whole time/never dropped/no scratches.