• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a few movies that show up as 12GB, which is probably about right.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I'm basing all this on the Storage tab of about this mac. The color blocks are pretty but I wish you could click them to explore what comprises them.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I honestly thought that the Beats acquisition was going to turn out to be a bullshit rumor. Still shocked that it came true. I've read many different takes on why it was happening, including the one I posted and it still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe things will be more clear after WWDC.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read many different takes on why it was happening, including the one I posted and it still doesn't make sense to me.
Same here. I predict the deal to be a lucrative one for all parties involved but Apple. For instance, Carlyle will double its $500M investment in Beats in less than a year's time.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Same here. I predict the deal to be a lucrative one for all parties involved but Apple. For instance, Carlyle will double its $500M investment in Beats in less than a year's time.

Apple has a $150mil haul sitting around. This won't break them.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apple has a $150mil haul sitting around. This won't break them.
Yes, I alluded to such in a previous post. We're simply talking about the merits of the deal per se, not its impact on their bottom line. ;)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, I alluded to such in a previous post. We're simply talking about the merits of the deal per se, not its impact on their bottom line. ;)

I agree with this framing of the conversation. Apple has more then enough profit coming in and money in the bank to absorb a company like Beats. The question becomes why. They haven't bought a large company since NEXT, so this move is highly unusual for them.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"About This Mac" says I have 96GB of photos. There is no way I have that much and I can't figure out where they'd be and how to get it sorted. Pictures folder just shows the libraries.

Did you try right-clicking/control clicking the photo library, selecting "Show Package Contents," and exploring that way?

WWDC keynote is today. I'm excited to see what's in store for OS X, which could use some love. Gruber has some predictions. I especially like what he says about iCloud and photography:

Quote:
People should not have to worry about this with their iOS devices. Apple charges a premium for larger storage capacity devices — doing away with backup quotas should be part of the value users get in exchange.

And along those lines, I would love to see iCloud-based photo storage go unlimited. Let us store all the photos we take with our iPhones and iPads in iCloud.1

Digital photo management remains an unsolved problem. What are we supposed to do when our iOS devices run out of space because of all the photos we’re storing on them? Apple’s solution is from the Mac-as-digital-hub era: plug your iPhone or iPad to your Mac and import your photos into iPhoto. That feels antediluvian today, in a world where some photographers never move their photos off the iPhones on which they took them.

I’ve noted several times this past year — including earlier this week — that Apple has quietly become one of, if not the, largest and most important camera companies in the world. The iPhone could just as well be named the iCamera for many of us — I’d rather use an iPhone that can’t make phone calls than use one with a broken camera.

To that end, here’s what I’d like to see: a ground up rewrite of iPhoto, designed as a client for an iCloud-centric photo library. You can keep all your photos on your Mac, but they can all be on iCloud too, and thus accessible from your iOS devices anywhere with a network connection. The goal should be to make it such that an iCloud-using iPhone or iPad user will never lose a photo because they’re lost or broken their device, nor should they ever feel the need to permanently delete photos just because they’ve run out of storage space on the device.

Apple might as well get rid of Aperture while they’re at it, and focus on making iPhoto good enough for everyone short of true professional photographers — most of whom, I think, have settled on Adobe Lightroom. The writing has been on the wall for a while. If Apple still sees the need to separate truly expert features from the basic features most people need, they could do something like make the new iPhoto free for all users, and sell “iPhoto Pro” as an in-app purchase.

This way Mac users would have one system standard photo library, just like iOS users have, and third-party Mac apps could have access to it the same way they do on iOS.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty pumped about a lot of the stuff they introduced today. Most of all:

-public beta testing
-integration of phone and SMS is going to be GREAT

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more excited about software updates than hardware updates. They don't ever announce new iPhones at WWDC anyway, do they? At least not in recent years.

Just starting to watch the Keynote now. I saw a lot of enthusiasm on Twitter—sounds like they introduced some good stuff.

Last edited:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new software is a joke. It took features from Windows and android and pretended it was innovative rather than catch-up. People were going nuts over stuff that has been out since 2011 (see using your laptop as your phone). I'm leaving apple phones and laptops on my next upgrades. They used to be great innovators, now they're just marketing old stuff as new

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This programmer section of WWDC has gone into full Silicon Valley TechCrunch territory.

I'm looking forward to the update. I don't care if it's catch-up because I don't give a **** about other platforms.

It looks like it's going to be implemented extremely well and since I use my iOS devices 90% of the time it'll be nice for my OSX stuff to be more integrated/similar so it'll be a more intuitive experience and less time wasted trying to remember the differences.

I still don't know WTF is going on with my photos...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads