1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

A 4.7" display is really not big at all. I have tiny elf hands and can operate my Moto X one-handed just fine.

3. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Pretty excited for the Apple event. There's enough smoke around the larger iPhones that there's got to be fire. Most exciting is the potential new product category, which we haven't seen for 4 years. It feels like the "iWatch" thing is really happening this time.

I wear a Nike Fuel band and would welcome a better, Apple-designed fitness device. I gotta think, though, that this watch will be more than that. I'm not sure I want a watch that does much more than that—but I trust that Apple is more imaginative than I am and has probably dreamed up something that I will want as soon as I see it.

A couple of interesting random bits:
    • Apparently quite a few fashion-industry people have been invited to the event.
    • Apple just hired Jony Ive's best designer-buddy Marc Newsom, who's done a wide range of cool stuff.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I don't like this iWatch business at all. I'll stick with my automatic watches for the rest of my life.

5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical of the larger hand of the 6, but maybe because I use a case on my 5 and feel a bit clumsy using it with one hand. I think that's the only thing I worry about, the ergonomics.

For those who do not use a case for their current iPhone, what's the damage if any? I was considering a leather sleeve in lieu of a case. It is because I like to keep my phone in a bag rather than carrying on me if I'm commuting.

I also bring the phone to the gym sometime and have dropped it on occasion.

7. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

My first couple iPhones I carried "naked." They got pretty dinged up overtime around the edges (though not enough to hurt resell much), but the screen never got scratched up. I even dropped them pretty regularly without a case and without significant damage—until one unlucky drop where it hit just right and the screen shattered.

I've been using the leather Apple case with my latest phone after the sting of the shattered screen. But lately I find myself going to no case again—it just feels so much better, even though the Apple case is very low profile. I think I'd have a hard time with a leather sleeve because I'm on my phone so obsessively, I'd always be slipping it in and out of the case.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

It feels good without protection.

No accidents to date.

9. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

I use the TECH21 cases, slim but haven't had any breakage.

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'll be following today's event and will share my thoughts tonight. Pretty excited to see what they will show even if I can't see myself investing in a smart watch. Apple's going to have to convince me otherwise with a very compelling device.

11. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

I've had iPhones 1-5 and think I am switching to android finally. I like my android tablet more than my iPad now. That being said, I am happy that Apple is releasing a smart watch and larger screen devices, because it will drive innovation across the market.

Apple draws a lot of hype, and other manufacturers will have to take notice that they cannot simply rest on a larger screen as their main feature and they must innovate with their smart watches as well. The competition will benefit all consumers, so I look forward to all of these announcements.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My god is the stream in apple.com sucking as much dick for everyone else? Or is it just my hotel wifi?

13. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I use a leather sleeve that I had made. Very thin and protects my iPhone well. Yet I dropped my phone twice(ever) in the last 4 days right out of the sleeve. Luckily, no damage.

14. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

These Apple events always give me the douchechills.

Tim Cook @tim_cook
    · 8m
    I'm backstage and this is my first tweet from my iPhone 6. It's amazing. You're going to love it.

So cringey.

15. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

How is it easier to take out your phone, open the pay app, put your finger on the sensor, and point it at the pad than to take your wallet out and slide out a credit card?

2 people like this.
  16. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

One more thing... iWatch??????

Edit: Boom.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  17. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

The watch is absolutely hideous. It is far too tech looking and not stylish enough for a business suit or for business dress.

It also has some very gimmicky features, like the heartbeat sharing thing. That said, the crown usage is very cool. If it was a round watch then they'd be on to something

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  18. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Moto360 still has the advantage in the looks department. Unfortunately the Moto has terrible battery life.

19. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The watch functions are excellent. The look is sort of predictable. Not really sweeping me away. They really need a rugged version, the submariner or G Force or even Ironman look for athletic and sporting pursuits.

20. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The design looks like it came from the 1970's digital age. It doesn't say "new".