1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I'm pretty pumped about a lot of the stuff they introduced today. Most of all:

-public beta testing
    -integration of phone and SMS is going to be GREAT

2. gort

gort Well-Known Member

I think the public beta is only going to be for OS X not IOS.

No new iPhone announced. :(

3. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I'm more excited about software updates than hardware updates. They don't ever announce new iPhones at WWDC anyway, do they? At least not in recent years.

Just starting to watch the Keynote now. I saw a lot of enthusiasm on Twitter—sounds like they introduced some good stuff.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

The new software is a joke. It took features from Windows and android and pretended it was innovative rather than catch-up. People were going nuts over stuff that has been out since 2011 (see using your laptop as your phone). I'm leaving apple phones and laptops on my next upgrades. They used to be great innovators, now they're just marketing old stuff as new

5. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

This programmer section of WWDC has gone into full Silicon Valley TechCrunch territory.

I'm looking forward to the update. I don't care if it's catch-up because I don't give a shit about other platforms.

It looks like it's going to be implemented extremely well and since I use my iOS devices 90% of the time it'll be nice for my OSX stuff to be more integrated/similar so it'll be a more intuitive experience and less time wasted trying to remember the differences.

I still don't know WTF is going on with my photos...

6. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Handoff sounds great. Favorite announcement for me was the iCloud photo library. Even photo edits and organization are preserved across devices. Very cool.

7. grundletaint

I wish they'd up iTunes Match from 25K songs. Hopefully the iCloud storage box thing will have an audio solution. I'd love to have my whole library up and accessible from anywhere.

8. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Listen, son, there are no new ideas under the sun. Everybody steals from everybody else and that's how things get better. Sometimes Apple does things way better than others and sometimes they don't. Regardless of that truth, what does it matter if it is ripped off? I don't use Apple products because they are innovative, I use them because they make my life easier.

4 people like this.
  9. grundletaint

The fact that iCloud photos will actually be stored in the cloud and not in devices is awesome. I'm sick of having photo stream shit load locally on my phone. I took the damn picture on my phone, why do I need it to be stored there twice?

1 person likes this.
  10. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

LOL.

Apple is rarely concerned with being the first to do something—they wait and take the time to do things right or don't do them at all.

Also, "innovation" isn't the be-all-end-all of tech, and people don't seem to get that Apple has long been about incremental improvement of user experience rather than constant, mind-blowing innovation.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Finally, Apple is turning iCloud into a real cloud based file system. I've been asking for them to do this for a long time and it looks like iCloud Drive is going to deliver. Couldn't be happier. Sounds like it will be easier for third party cloud services to implement stronger ties to apps and the OS itself too.

Extensions for Safari is big news too. I'm a hardcore Evernote user and always hated having to either email my Evernote account a webpage or use the webclipper that was hacked together. Having official extensions should really open this up.

Honestly thought the Keynote was strong. They announced some great new features and API's and checked off some that other platforms had been enjoying and iOS users were calling for. Off the top of my head the only major feature left that I wish they would move forward with implementing is to allow 3rd party email clients to be the default.

1 person likes this.
  12. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

13. grundletaint

Apple bringing HD/lossless audio...

I'd imagine this is the first step in the rumored addition of pono-esque releases on the iTunes Store.

The digital port is soon available for headphones and in/out audio playback and recording.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/03/...headphone-mfi/

Yowza!

14. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

One thing I hope they change in iOS8 - the state of the caps lock key. Such a minor issue, but particularly annoying because I can't fathom why they'd make that UI decision - when caps lock is in, the key is the same color as the rest of the keyboard. When it's off, it's different. WTF? I think this was changed back around iOS7/7.1.

15. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Installed the Yosemite developer beta on Saturday. Nothing terribly different in daily use yet other than the appearance. I haven't used much of the new stuff yet, won't be able to try the phone stuff until I put IOS8 on my phone but I am going to wait for a few versions before doing that.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Assuming the new iPhone 6 has the same thickness as the latest generation iPod touch, I'm excited for such slimness. I handled one at an apple store the other day and it feels really good in your hands. I'd take the slimness over battery life, assuming battery life stays constant, if not slightly improved, in the next iPhone.

17. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Active Member

I'd like a better surface for my ear, than that damned sharp, diamond cut chamfered edge.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  18. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used any of the following for privacy / passwords? Just curious how you liked them.

1password
    Diceware passphrase
    HTTPSeverywhere
    torproject
    Disconnect
    Whitehat Aviator

19. grundletaint

I use c0ck5ath3er6969b00bz for everything and haven't been hacked yet.

1 person likes this.
  20. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I've been using 1Password daily for the past four years and am very happy with it. It lets me have extremely secure passwords that I don't have to memorize. I also store my credit card info, tax documents, and other sensitive info there. Syncing works great too, the developers are always improving it, and it never gives me any problems. Worth the money. I can't speak to the other apps you've listed, but from what I gather 1Password seems to be the gold standard.

I know Apple has been steadily improving their built in KeyChain service, and it now syncs between OS X and iOS, but I haven't played with it much, and I don't think it's as robust as 1Password.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014