1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

I used the Mophie case with previous models. Worked fine, allowed me to go a whole weekend without charging. Once the 5 came out I embraced skinny and it's been in a Maison Takuya case from the start. I keep a spare battery in my briefcase but don't use it often. I must say that while the Mophie case served me well, their external batteries aren't that great in the power department. Very good fit and finish but not much juice compared to Schoche units.

One thing about the Mophie cases: forget about using earsets with angled plugs.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    The recent update to Evernote's iOS app is a much needed improvement. Hated the default green theme and I'm glad they are letting you change it now. The new layout makes much more sense too by giving priority to the users most used functions. Still a few areas that could use refinement, but overall it's back to being a great app.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Anyone try out the new Paper app by facebook? It's pretty damn good. It's very FlipBoard-esque (another awesome app I use everyday), but the gestures are leaps and bounds better.

I've been saying this for a while, but I truly believe the next step in making smartphones better will be through getting rid of fucking buttons wherever possible, both within apps and also on the hardware front for the actual smartphones.

Blackberry was headed in the right direction..

4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Paper has a pretty good interface and it's definitely nicer than Flipboard. Unfortunately, fuck Facebook so I won't use it. If it were non social media connected I would definitely switch.

Also the thing talking at me and interrupting my music was really annoying. There should be a warning.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

The fb link is only through the first section. You can add themes and those are the ones I look at. I never look at the fb theme.

Also the voice instructions only occur when you first use the app.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jr Mouse

I like the idea of Paper as a whole, but find it works best for "stories" and "pictures." Things that feel like real content. The problem with the small horizontal scrolling cards metaphor is that they don't work well for a lot of the drivel that gets posted to FB. It quickly becomes annoying when realize how many of these cards in your "social" section say so little. The vertical feed in FB has the same problem, but it somehow feels easier to scroll past and ignore the fluff.

7. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I don't like that it has FB notifications at the top and the interface isn't enough to make me switch. I do appreciate that its the kind of interface sci-fi people have been envisioning for years like the Minority Report computer.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Jr Mouse

9. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

^ Good looking out. Wish I could justify upgrading from my non-retina mini but it's my least used device. I'll probably wait another year or two.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  10. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

when you command tab on osx is there a way to delete or exit a program?

11. Jr Mouse

If you are able to find a Target willing to stack the $50 card on the sale price it would be easy enough to justify even with light use, IMO. The screen, speed and longevity of the device (new processor) are a fairly big deal. Otherwise I can understand wanting to hold off considering the spread with the old one's resale value.

Friend of mine just got the non Retina mini this Christmas and is headed out after work to see if he can find a store to make the deal.

12. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

Keep holding CMD and press Q on the program you want to close, and it'll close properly.

2 people like this.
  13. indesertum

bestbuy is taking $50 off of their iPhones starting tomorrow

what i'm wondering is

can i buy the iPhone 5s then switch to tmobile but instead of turning my iPhone 5s to have them pay for my early termination fees, instead turn my old phone in, buy a cheap phone from tmobile, return that phone and then bring the iPhone 5s i bought from best buy? anybody know? that way i could buy an iPhone 5s for $250 instead of the $650 tmobile charges on a no contract provider. the caveat i could see is that maybe verizon won't unlock it for me or the tmobile offer is rescinded if you return the phone you bought from them.

this is kinda tough to google

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Even tougher to read.

lefty

3 people like this.
  15. indesertum

Well my plan to abuse the tmobile offer is

1. Upgrade older iPhones to new iphone 5s at verizon with 2 year contract at bestbuy
    2. Go to tmobile store
    3. Turn in old iPhones
    4. Buy the cheapest smartphone at tmobile
    5. Get charged early termination fee by verizon
    6. Get tmobile to pay ETF
    7. Sell cheap tmobile smartphone on eBay
    8. Activate new iphone 5s on tmobile

$$$ profit? I would end up paying $350 for a new unlocked iphone 5s on tmobile on a cheaper unlimited plan.

16. Hayward

The best answer to most questions this complicated is "No." The value of your time should also be taken into consideration here.

17. indesertum

Welp. Went to best buy and it was better than I imagined.

We switched from unlimited 3G plan to 6gb per person 3G lte/4G plan for the same price.

We paid $160 total for two iphone 5s 16 gb.

We're on a 2 year contract but that's ok.

I called tmobile and my plan would've worked. We could've paid $300 (less the $60 we would've gotten on eBay for the new cheap phones so actually $240) per person to use 2 iphone 5s 16gb on an unlimited tmobile plan for $120 a person no contract.

Pretty happy about this. Paid $80 for a 16gb iphone 5s on a plan at the same price with twice the data I normally use in a month

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Sunday night my 4S bottom port gave out. Can't charge it, can't link it to my cpu to drop files, etc. Bought through Sprint, it's 1.5 years old - out of warranty, but too early for an upgrade on the plan.

Any ideas where to start looking for a fix? Guy at the store said it'd be $200 bucks to send it back to Apple through them. Suggested 3rd parties for either a new phone or a fix. Opinions/Experiences?

SprintSA said this actually happened more frequently than he liked on 4S. Kind of pissed.

19. Hayward

Have you tried swabbing it with alcohol?

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Have not. Will try when I get home tonight.