1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Isn't this two lenses you can switch between, a 28mm and 56mm short tele? That's the impression i got.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

http://appleplugs.com/?utm=source

Upgrade to iPhone 7 with Apple Plug.

This isn't 2009. Your phone doesn't have a floppy drive, and it shouldn't have a headphone connector either. When we made iPhone 6 and 6s, the world wasn't ready for the future. Now, it is. Apple Plug is the perfect solution. Fill in your archaic headphone connector with beautiful aluminium and plug yourself into the future.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

To me the really cool thing about the two lens setup isn't necessarily the two lenses themselves, but the fact that the processor can use the discrepancy between the two lenses to allow for some focal point and depth of field adjustment after the shot. We'll see how it's implemented and of course the sensors are still really tiny, but there is potential to do really amazing stuff.

Here's an article from about a year ago about a cell phone sized camera with 16 lenses:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3051941/...d-camera-aims-to-kick-bulky-dslrs-to-the-curb

I thought this passage was particularly interesting:

"Even as Light is preparing to release the L16 next year, it has also reached a licensing deal with Foxconn—which is making the camera—that allows the Chinese manufacturing giant to build a scaled-down version of Light’s technology into smartphones.

According to Grannan, Foxconn will have the right to incorporate multiple lenses with a focal length of up to 100 mm into its partners’ phones. Light doesn’t have any control over who those partners are, and won’t necessarily have advance notice about such partnerships, but one of Foxconn’s major smartphone partners is Apple.

Grannan said he expects Foxconn to begin shipping Light’s technology in phones by the end of next year
    . Light will be able to certify that such integrations meet its standards, and will receive a royalty on each phone sold."

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

What are y'all doing for cases / skins? I've always liked the saddle brown apple leather case and am debating picking that up for my 7+.. but I hate how the cases all but cover up the entire phone. And with Jet Black, it renders that finish pointless.

So I'm thinking about picking up a clear skin, which also poses problems due to the curved edges of the phone. I'm 100% positive that they will start peeling at the corners after a couple days of using the phone and pulling out / putting into my pocket.

Hmmm... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I think I'm going no case with the 7.

Now that screens are just $29 to replace and water resistance is improved, and since I went with the less scratch prone matte black, I'm willing to take the gamble.

6. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Sticking with the Power Support case. Doesn't offer much drop protection but adds almost no extra bulk and protects the back from getting scratched up when I slide it around on my desk.

7. the shah

Been caseless since the beginning

Gonna get the matte black 7+ i think, work phone that can double as a reader so I don't need a tablet/3rd device

8. GreenFrog

When people say that the Jet Black scratches easily, do they mean scratches that expose the underlying silver aluminum color? Or just hairline scratches without any discoloration?

Wondering how deep the anodized coating is...

9. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

The phone isn't even out. So when they say anything about it - it is rehashing shit they read online. They're also likely with 17 or 50 years old.

10. the shah

Code:
    The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. 
    Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. 
    If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.
    in videos it also looks like a finger print magnet and the scratches are pretty apparent right away. not that this should stop anyone, but also seems weird to get such a distinctive look then hide it in a case....

1 person likes this.
  11. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I remember on the old iPods people used to use steel wool on the back to make it uniform because the scratches looked so bad.

12. GreenFrog

The more videos of the regular Black I see online, the more I'm starting to wonder if I dun goof'd. It looks really good in its own right, too.

I used to have an iPhone 3G with the shiny plastic back and it got covered with so many hairline scratches to the point of making it look dull and.. what's the word.. I guess kinda foggy / hazy because the light would reflect on the scratches.

13. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Get a bumper if you don't want a full case, a bumper will at least raise it up a bit so it's not sitting right on a table/desk.

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

i ordered Jet Black too. October 10-17th delivery smh

as for scratch protection, i plan on using a clear film like i use on my cars to avoid rock chips, weathering and scratches

15. GreenFrog

Good call. Gonna start looking for low profile bumpers.

This is my original plan too. Doing a lot of research on the available skins.

Did you get the 7+?

I have October 4 - 10 delivery. T-Mobile. 128 gig.

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

no just the normal 7. my wife is mad because she wants me to get the dual cam one. but i don't like big things in my pockets. she can get the 7+ when she upgrades and put it into her dozens of purses

17. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    The current iPhone design is way too slippery and awkward to hold to go without a case. You only get two repairs under AppleCare + and the body of the phone will get ugly fast.

18. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

I drop my phone far too much to not have a case on it. I'm not too concerned with screen cracks because for some reason I've never had one on my iPhone, but all my phones would have very worn and scratched bodies with no case.

1 person likes this.
  19. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  20. GreenFrog

I just preordered another 7+ in matte black [​IMG]