1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

The proprietary nature of the lightning port is what really bothers me about it. If they nixed the headphone port and the lightning port and just changed to a USB-C, I'd be more inclined to be okay with it. But now having to buy headphones that are incompatible with every other piece of hardware in existence bothers me greatly.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I'd love for them to switch to USB-C. Proprietary is one of the reasons they will stick with Lighting. The other is that it is smaller then USB-C.

3. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ , @Jr Mouse... Are you trolling intentionally now ?

4. Jr Mouse

You really must be bored lately.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Me too. The Lightning headphones won't work with a MacBook which is very inconsistent for a company that tries to make things as seamless as possible between devices.

The more I think about it, there just has to be some sort of teeny tiny DAC in the $9 Lightning to 3.5mm adapter. Virtually every headphone with a Lightning cable currently on the market (Audeze, Sony, Philips, Brightech, etc.) either advertises their built-in DAC or mentions 24-bit audio. The DAC built into the iPhone 6 doesn't support 24-bit, so these headphones must have their own DAC as well. The adapter is compatible with any iOS 10 device, including the iPhone 5, so there isn't any sort of new technology at play here. As I don't see how a digital port like Lightning could possibly be transmitting analog, all current headphones have their own DAC, and the adapter works with previous versions, it seems like there must be a DAC in the adapter. I'm sure some blog will have a tear-down once they are available and then we'll know for sure.

Apple seems to be punting on the higher end audio market. It doesn't make a lot of sense to plug $500 headphones into a $2 DAC. I wonder if the cable is a sort of after-the-fact design decision, and that's why it is so cheap without the usual Apple mark-up. Just speculating, but I could easily see Jony Ive wanting the iPhone 7 to go completely wireless out of the box, but somebody realized the backlash they would face if no one could use their existing headphones so they stuck the adapter in there too.

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12839758/apple-is-biggest-winner-from-killing-headphone-jack

"No one’s saying that Apple is wrong about wireless being the future. But the notion that it needed to remove the headphone jack now, and in this way, to improve the iPhone isn’t credible. Apple is advancing a vision of computing that lets it capitalize further on a quickly growing market, bringing headphones more firmly within the company’s ecosystem. What killing the headphone jack really does is help Bluetooth headphone companies. That makes it a business decision, and not much more."

7. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Well-Known Member

Guys v important question be grateful for any guidance on... iPhone 7 Plus -- Jet Black, Matte Black, or Silver? (I have always gone Silver with iPhones in the past...)

8. Jr Mouse

I would do matte black even if the shinny one looks nicer. The jet black model is expected to scratch easily.

9. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Well-Known Member

I was thinking that as well (and the Matte Black from photos looks nice).... for the larger iPhone 7 Plus - any reason to go Matte Black vs. Silver/White Front outside of straight aesthetics? A bit torn between those 2 color options...

10. Jr Mouse

I always go with a version that has a black front to it. The screen blends in better and the images pop out more.

1 person likes this.
  11. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Oh I bet you do.

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Does it though? In military comms equipment the standard for audio jacks is some big twist to lock monster of a thing.

14. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

God. This sounds like all the whining every time Facebook changes its interface.

16. phosej

phosej Well-Known Member

http://goldmanosi.blogspot.ca/2016/07/apple-calls-you-stupid-by-getting-rid.html
    http://goldmanosi.blogspot.ca/2016/08/why-consumers-and-shareholders-should.html

I'm a long time Apple user and really wanted to like the 7 but I just can't get behind nixing the 3.5 mm jack, especially when there are so many downsides to me personally. I listen to music and care about sound quality so the Earpods and new Airpods just won't cut it. I already have a pair of high end wired headphones and I don't want to downgrade to Bluetooth ones that I'll have to charge all the time. I don't want to carry around various adapters and dongles to make everything work between my iPhone, iPad, and rMBP. Like many others, I am deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so all I can do is wait and hope for something better to come along.

17. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

The same company that eschewed a stylus now wants people to use a dongle.
    [​IMG]

18. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a mischaracterization. They want you to use BT headphones.

Stupid move though. Really dumb move.

19. Jr Mouse

The content in those two links is spot on and fairly well written. Thank you for sharing.

EDIT: Wanted to pull out some choice quotes I agree with.

20. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Of course, they're the #1 seller of them and margins are huge. Plus they can get licensing fees for anyone that goes wired to lightning.

Put me in the camp of those holding onto the 6 for the 8.