1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Big day today.

At this point, there won't be any big surprises.

My eyes will be on Google Finance during the keynote :laugh:.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Looks like the 5C will basically be the iPod Touch with a cell antenna. I always said they should have made the 5 look like the Touch, but now it looks like that's come true. I like it. Will def be upgrading from my 4s and will probably spring for the 5S if it has the rumored 12mp camera.

4. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I bought a new iPhone, iPad, and MacBook this year so will sit out this round of hardware upgrades. I'm eager to see when we'll be getting iOS 7 and Mavericks, though.

I really wish they'd come out with a developer program for the Apple TV, but it doesn't sound like that's in the cards yet.

5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

TUAW has a pretty good live stream of the event:

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/10/september-2013-apple-event-liveblog-the-new-iphone-party/

Highlights so far:

—iOS 7 coming Sept 18
    —iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie) to become free downloads
    —iPhone 5C (A6 chip; 5 colors + cases; plastic with "no seams, part lines or joins"; $99 or $199, with contract)
    —iPhone 5S (new A7 chip, black, silver, or gold; 64-bit; 2x faster CPU; new motion processor for fitness tracking; improved camera; fingerprint ID; $199–$399, with contract)
    —iPhone 4S becomes free with contract.

[​IMG]

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Solid thread idea. Wish I had seen this before. Reason I bumped the iPhone 5 thread is because we really don't need new product specific threads every time they announce a new iPhone or iPad mode.

Not a fan of the plastic iPhone's colors. White is ok, but the rest are ugly. Curious about what the build quality will be like. Nokia set the bar there with the Lumina series. No one else has even come close with plastic phones, so Apple has a lot to prove here.

1 person likes this.
  7. GreenFrog

Apple blew it with the 5C's pricing.

Goddammit!

1 person likes this.
  8. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Yeh still uber expensive, and still within the luxury, Gucci type pricing range. around $800...I wouldn't pay that much for a cellphone.

9. GreenFrog

What a terrible, terrible move on Apple's part.

I understand they're playing a very fine balancing act between maintaining high margins and gaining marketshare, but the 5C is just way too expensive for the developing markets.

Even if they announce a China Mobile deal tomorrow the 5C is way out of the average Chinese person's price range.

I wonder how well the gold 5S will fare in China.. will droves of Chinese take out high-interest loans to buy the 5S instead of the 5C?

As a shareholder, I sure hope so!

:D

10. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Will this thread bring back Tokyo Slim?

11. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Anyone else upgrade to iOS 7 yet?

12. GreenFrog

Not yet, but very eager to!

:slayer:

13. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's taking a bit of getting used to. Seems just the slightest bit laggy on my 4S, but i think it's because all the new fades in and out of windows, locking and unlocking, etc.. give it the appearance of being slow. But it is just part of the "experience." Hard to tell at this point. Seems that on my 4S it doesn't have the Airdrop functionality.

14. Jr Mouse

What do you mean?

Been running it the last week. :slayer:

15. Jr Mouse

Regarding the new UI transitions and animations giving iOS7 the appearance of being a little slow/baggy, it's not just on the 4S. You are not the only one to comment on them as It's been mentioned in several reviews. My personal opinion after using iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 for the last week is Apple went too far with them for the sake of having some pretty new UI candy to show off. I wouldn't be surprised if these transitions are optimized to be shorter in future patches as they really do little other than slow navigation down.

Airdrop requires the newer Wi-Fi hardware chips to function and is not supported on phones pre-4S.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 4 and I told her it would be better to hold off a week or two before updating. While Apple supports older handsets, they have a tendency to optimize for the newer ones first then tweak the old stuff. It's worth waiting to see if there are any issues with the 4 that need to be patched up before jumping in.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  16. adam-r8

adam-r8 Well-Known Member

What are peoples opinions on the general aesthetic? Can't say i'm a huge fan of the pastel/'blurry' icons, it looks over simplified and childish even.

I agree totally with the UI being over used as i can see that initial cool factor wearing off very quickly. I can't comment too much on slowness as my 4 was already pretty slow pre-update but i do like the new preview when double tapping home to switch apps.

17. Jr Mouse

Overall, it's a welcome change as I think we all were getting a little tired of stitched leather and green felt. The icons aren't Apple's finest moment, but they don't really offend me or anything. Other than the Gamecenter and Passbook icons which I hate, they are largely fine.

I do agree that the transparencies take a little getting use to even if I understand why Apple felt they were needed to provide a sense of 3D depth.

The biggest problem I have is how they replaced many of the UI interaction buttons inside of menus with words. Doesn't really work for me and I find them less obvious feeling in use. Perhaps in time this will change once I have been using them long enough.

18. GreenFrog

Maybe my hotel's wifi is shitty or something, but I keep getting an error when I try to download iTunes and my OTA download on my phone with wifi shows 29 hours remaining.

WTF.

19. Jr Mouse

Apple's servers have been slammed all day. This happened to CalTex too.

20. GreenFrog

Finally installed iOS 7 -- love it!!

Parallax doesn't work as smoothly (on my custom wallpaper) as I had anticipated and some of the icons looks a bit shitty, but overall, loving it, especially control center.

Woot woot!

:slayer: