1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Brown CXL MacNeils in the afternoon sun . . .

[​IMG]

2. Appleanche

Appleanche Member

Thinking of getting a Heritage MTO some day with a regular/v-tread sole but with all Merlot calfskin - I just like how there is noticeable separation between the wing and the lacing/vamp brogue.. any thoughts or something similar?

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I think that would be cool, not too many people would notice the subtle difference between that and the McAllister in my opinion, especially if one toned. Can I suggest Shell? ;-)

-Mike

4. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

I agree completely. I recently put in an order for a Heritage. Now just waiting. Hoping they are unique but something I'd wear from time to time.

1079 BROWN CALF WING, EYESTAY, COLLAR, HEEL
    2424 BROWN SUEDE VAMP, QUARTER
    PORON INSOLE
    ORANGE LINING LEATHER
    BROWN FLAT WELT
    LIGHT BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING
    V-TREAD OUTSOLE
    WHEELED EDGES

I was going for something similar to this albeit a bit different shape and some other touches (photo c/o Charles Tyrwhitt):
    [​IMG]

5. Appleanche

Appleanche Member

I'm pretty new to nicer shoes - I only have a pair of Walnut Strands and an Eagle County tan.

I don't know if many people will notice the difference between the McAllister and the heritage in all Merlot but I know I will. I wanted the Merlot after trying it on at a store and seeing how great it looked with jeans, but the two brogue strips (for lack of better terms) getting so close/touching is something I just don't like for some reason.

Most others that don't touch are more blutcher style which isn't my favorite either.. so the Heritage and the Jefferson are only two models I've seen with the styling I want.

And don't even get me started on Shell! My piggy bank doesn't have enough for that stuff!

Ooh those are nice looking, I quite like the two tone look of the Heritages on their own. A really nice looking shoe - but I'm not sure I could quite pull it off, I've gotten "Looks like something in Scarface!" a couple of times.

But yeah as far as I know like I said only the Jefferson and Heritage have that kind of spacing, at least currently made.

So this would be my first MTO - if my thread reading is right they typically honor sale price for MTO?

6. srolaser

srolaser Active Member

Unacceptable, in my opinion, for a first quality shoe. Once again, poor quality control at Allen Edmonds. This is a pattern that they've been following for nearly half a decade or more. In the past, I never experienced such problems with this company's products. Very unfortunate but undeniably true. Chances are, if you return them, something else will come back unacceptable unless they pay very very close attention to their products at your request. There should be standard in the company of this nature but not. I past five or six purchases from them have almost all been unacceptable to me. S

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where CT sources these shoes from?

8. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

I thought CT was generally Loake?

1 person likes this.
  9. peppercorn78

And soooo,

Allison says that the shoes need to be completely remade from scratch. I'm not so sure I understand why it can't just be resoled. The upper was pretty perfect. A Shame it'll go to waste. And I'll have to wait another 4 weeks.

Ah well.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better I placed my mto in Feb.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Peppercorn, what MTO are you waiting on? What happened to it? Sorry, my memory is failing me here.

-Mike

12. peppercorn78

The navy suede McAllisters posted earlier. The red gumlight sole has started to peel off the welted midsole on both shoes, all around.

13. srolaser

srolaser Active Member

Once again, incredible incompetence. Poor quality control. Whiners are we so enamored with this company?
    For me, it's simple availability because of the size of my feet. In the past, I totally expected quality. Now I expect nothing but errors. So disappointing! S

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Get a $100 discount then send them to B Nelson :)

15. peppercorn78

For me, it's also size. I've got extra wide platypus feet. And price, quite frankly, so I'm less inclined to complain too much.

That's what I was gonna do, but Allison told me that the upper was not salvageable, which I don't really understand. The upper looks perfect to me...

16. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

thanks for this thread. lots of inspiration.

i made a couple tweaks to the macneil 5 and just received them Friday. I got a deal on these so i don't want to complain, but there is certainly room for improvement here. notice the undyed edges and misaligned eyelets on the burgundy pair, and the stretched perfs and thumbprint-looking spots on the cognacs. I'll probably send some pics in just for feedback, but i don't want to wait 2 more months for remake. the main issue for me is just the crooked eyelets on the right burgundy shoe. i can use polish to color the edges, and the spots on the cognacs aren't a huge deal for a casual leather. some soap or polish will probably disguise that too.

Cognac
    Double leather sole
    brass eyelets

Burgundy
    double butyl sole
    brass eyelets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Welcome to the MTO thread! Those are absolutely stunning. I am sorry about the eyelets, but you got an awesome shoe at an awesome price. Enjoy them very much! I love the color on the Dublin is just amazing. -Mike

1 person likes this.
  18. peppercorn78

Those are nice! Are the burgundy pair CXL? How soft is the leather? Does it require a lot of breakin?

19. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

thanks. i'm excited about them.

thank you. yes, cxl indeed. it's soft, for sure. i just put them on for the first time today and they were not stiff at all.

20. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I haven't received any advice on the standard AE thread, so I figured I'd post here as well. Grey suede Mora 2.0 which have a few issues.
    1) I requested a chili welt, and they obviously used dark brown, so there's substantial contrast here.
    2) requested wheeled edges.

Allison said I could either send the shoes back for a new pair or she would let me keep these for $129. What do you all think?

[​IMG]