1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. wgiceman

wgiceman Well-Known Member

I'm probably stating the obvious for most of us here when I say........ "This thread is going to wreak havoc on my bank account!!!!!" :embar::embar:

1 person likes this.
  2. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

I've done two AE MTO's

Walnut Shell Cordovan Kenilworth (Standard Kenilworth except for shell upper and Rendenbach single sole):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mora 2.0:
    -Snuff suede upper
    -Dainite sole
    -Wheeled welt edge (missed detail)
    -Storm welt (did not specify, but happy with it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. johngee

johngee Member

I made the trek up to AE's South Coast Plaza store a few weeks back to nail down sizing in a few different shoes. Hopefully San Diego gets an AE store one day! Mike, I'll have to keep an eye out for you around town sporting those walnut shells.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this, Dubs!

I've done two MTO's so far. The first:

Burgundy Cordovan Kenilworth Derbies, with Independence lining and insole, single JR sole, chili flat welt, toasted edge trim with wheeling, brass exposed eyelets. Paid $505 during the Rediscover America Sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. peppercorn78

The second:

Chili Shaker Heights boot with tan tweed. standard makeup, but with custom Dainite sole and extra burnishing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Here is my MTO. Very close to mdubs' first MTO. This was one of the last Cappuccino orders

HONOR REDISCOVER AMERICA SALE PRICE
    *CAPPUCCINO CORDOVAN
    *MOCHA MILLED LINING AND INSOLE
    *TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCH
    *CHILI REGULAR WELT
    *DARK BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING
    *WHEELED AND FUDGE WELT LINE
    *INDEPENDENCE SOLE AND HEEL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Pastor, you have impeccable taste. Are shoes are the same up to the edging. I was told by Allison that I was the last order of Cappuccino that AE would accept. I actually had to wait 2 days for the stock house to confirm they had leather available for me. With that said, I saw others receive Cappuccino shoes after I got mine... :)

-Mike

8. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Pepper, those are nice boots, however the tweed siding on it is not within my particular taste spectrum. But I personally tend to have fairly conservative tastes...

-Mike

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

G-Dogg,

Both of those shoes are awesome. I am really lusting for a double monk on Whiskey Shell Cordovan. If AE ever got Walnut Shell in stock again, that would probably be my first purchase... :)

-Mike

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are an absolutely insane MTO. I love the commando-like sole. The only thing that I might have done, had I done a MTO Dalton would be to add pinking to it. I really prefer the Dalton when it is unlined and has the stitching around the perforations on the side.

It is really refreshing to see all the MTOs that I somehow forgot about.

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sub,

Look, you have such great taste, they took your Franciscan and added it to their lineup! But now you have them with the Independence touches, such as the wheeled edge, that I believe makes them look much more refined.

Honestly, I am not sure what to make out of those Leeds. They actually look very tennis shoe like to me with those soles. Definitely a very different spin on the Leed that I would have never imagined.

-Mike

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Blaster, those look magnificent. Not sure if it is the way that you photographed them, but they remind me of the LeatherSoul Ravello Shortwing Blutcher. Which is probably one of the best shoes ever made. Period. (Well, in my opinion... :))

-Mike

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Nothing like beautiful dark Shells with light edging! But I really think the kicker on both pairs are actually the laces! The flat waxy laces on the Leeds and the tan laces on the MacNeils just take them up THAT much...

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

My friend, those are both beautiful shoes. The Dundees are what inspired me to pull the trigger on my Jeffersons displayed in Post #2 here...

-Mike

16. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

We are pretty similar in thinking. I bought the Dundees in cappuccino when they were offered by Allen Edmonds as a web gem. It's what made me want to do the Jefferson in that color.

17. peppercorn78

I hear you. However, I fell in love with them the instant they were introduced and pretty much only wear them with jeans to jazz clubs (wearing them at a club now in fact). They're killing!

Thanks! I was inspired by a picture of the Fran Bean Alden PTB that Patrick (also my name) posted a while back. But I wanted a derby rather than a blucher, and by the time Allison got to me, cappuccino was all gone, so I went with burgundy. Really, really glad I did!

18. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

AE can definetely compete with Alden, Carmina, and the like, if they were able to think up models like this for themselves.

1 person likes this.
  19. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

AE cannot compete with Alden when it comes to finishing of shell cordovan. I own both and like both, but Alden has a pretty clear advantage here

20. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

I also own both. Glaze and color is a matter of taste. AE's brown imo is superiror to Alden cigar, and Alden 8 is far superior to AE burgundy. But let's not turn this into an AE vs Alden debate as we already got a thread for that.