• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder what happens to the returned or 2nds for MTOs. Do they end up on seconds lists?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allison recently advised me that she can not tell where they ultimately end up. I tried to purchase my clifton seconds to no avail.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was revealed that the SF seller Freebird (think that's the name) has buddies who work at AE, and as a result of that he gets 1st dibs on 2nds?

Yeah he routinely seems to have some MTO seconds for sale on ebay.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blaster, it's totally a shame those got messed up and aren't according to your design. Because they are absolutely beautiful. I don't blame you for returning though, if they aren't what you wanted, $700 is a hefty price tag. What size are they?

They're size 12D.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the number of posts here about MTO's that aren't quite right, one might wonder why part of the "Final Inspection" does not including inspecting the shoes to make sure that they are the same as what was ordered. There must be something very wrong with the MTO's that fail their "Final Inspection".

Subutai

Reaction score
Based on the number of posts here about MTO's that aren't quite right, one might wonder why part of the "Final Inspection" does not including inspecting the shoes to make sure that they are the same as what was ordered. There must be something very wrong with the MTO's that fail their "Final Inspection".
Well, it's a relatively new offering that is not even known to the general public. So I'd imagine the QC process is the same for any other shoe until it gets to Allison, who may have the time to match the shoe to the specs. I think most members are willing to cut AE some slack as they offer us an MTO program without an upcharge that also is subject to sales. Pretty good deal overall, not saying that it can't be better, but that I think most of us are more than pleased.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's a relatively new offering that is not even known to the general public. So I'd imagine the QC process is the same for any other shoe until it gets to Allison, who may have the time to match the shoe to the specs. I think most members are willing to cut AE some slack as they offer us an MTO program without an upcharge that also is subject to sales. Pretty good deal overall, not saying that it can't be better, but that I think most of us are more than pleased.
My comment was based on three out of three of the last three MTOs posted on this thread were not quite right. Although I have decided to keep mine, the other two posters might send theirs back.

Have all of your MTOs been the same as what you ordered?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
It does make me wonder whether QC pays attention to whether the shoes are to spec, or just to the overall fit and finish - and if not the former whether anybody pays attention to that at all. I would also think that the more out-there the makeup, the more likely they won't be made exactly to spec, for better or worse.

Subutai

Reaction score
My comment was based on three out of three of the last three MTOs posted on this thread were not quite right. Although I have decided to keep mine, the other two posters might send theirs back.

Have all of your MTOs been the same as what you ordered?

It does make me wonder whether QC pays attention to whether the shoes are to spec, or just to the overall fit and finish - and if not the former whether anybody pays attention to that at all. I would also think that the more out-there the makeup, the more likely they won't be made exactly to spec, for better or worse.

Thankfully, both of mine have been as ordered. One was considered a second, but I was more than happy to take them at the discounted price. I tend to wonder more about AE's QC in general.

I have absolutely no insider knowledge on this, but just based on the ordering and confirmation process with Allison, I imagine that QC determines only if the shoes are in spec, not if the shoes match the order details. Again, I'm just guessing here, but since the MTO process is not part of their normal business processes, I'm sure the associated QC process isn't aligned.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thankfully, both of mine have been as ordered. One was considered a second, but I was more than happy to take them at the discounted price. I tend to wonder more about AE's QC in general. 

I have absolutely no insider knowledge on this, but just based on the ordering and confirmation process with Allison, I imagine that QC determines only if the shoes are in spec, not if the shoes match the order details. Again, I'm just guessing here, but since the MTO process is not part of their normal business processes, I'm sure the associated QC process isn't aligned. 

Let's not forget that there is a 'Custom shoe' section on their site. The SF community aren't the only people ordering custom, MTO shoes.

Subutai

Reaction score
Let's not forget that there is a 'Custom shoe' section on their site. The SF community aren't the only people ordering custom, MTO shoes.

True Tifosi, but the Custom Shoe program has limited styles and, I believe, limited options. I think the SF community are the only people adding the diverse set of options we've seen in recent months.

It takes a while for any company to update/change processes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads