1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Bl@ster, they were the second post on the thread, but that was over 30 pages ago!!!

They have a chili welt and light brown transparent edge dressing. I just submitted a "Independence Collection" Strand in Brown Shell with Medium Brown Transparent Edge dressing. I am hoping to get close to Alden's Antique Edging, which I am obsessed over... :)

-Mike

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

+1, those are a very creative design. Polo and his rare leathers... :)

-M

3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Can Not Edit First Post

All, it appears that StyleForum has a two week limit on editing posts, and that two week limit has lapsed. I am unable to edit the first post at this time. I am going to contact the site administrators to see if there is anything I can do about it...

I never noticed the "edit" button disappearing before.

I can not say how cool it is to see all of the edits and contributions that you all have made to this thread. I can not believe that we hit 300 posts in just a few weeks!

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. zennypoo

zennypoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed explanations Mike, I never noticed those differences before and after seeing them I think I prefer the Jefferson as well! Thanks for the help.

Dan

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Dan,

Not a problem at all! They are very subtle, but obvious once pointed out... :) Glad to help you with deciding!

-Mike

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

JezeC,

Yes, the Strands that I ordered on Monday were $650, which is AE's current price for Shell Cordovan shoes. If you are patient, you could wait for one of AE's major sales. I managed to get both my Harrison's and Jefferson's (Black Shell and Cappuccino Shell respectively) at the 15% discount associated with the Re-Discover America (RDA) sale last fall. The sale was roughly the last two weeks of September and I was able to get those shoes for $505.75 instead of their then retail $595. Unfortunately, there are no promises that AE would acknowledge those prices again this year. Also, I swore that Allen Edmonds had two sales per year, so there should be another one shortly, if my memory serves me correctly.

-Mike

7. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Bump. Any fellow MTO fan care to help me out in choosing specs for my planned spectator boots?

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Anyone else getting the vibe that mto options will continue to dwindle?

9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sir, I personally would vote for Option A myself. I just think a Snuff Vamp would be a little odd. But that is just my opinion.

-M

10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

My friend, they are intentionally clamping on MTOs for the time being due to production effectiveness issues that AE is going through due to growing pains. They are re-optimizing the house and will be committing more of their experienced shoemakers to the line that MTOs will flow through.

11. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

@bl@ster, did Allison just charge you the regular AE price of $365 for those even though they were from the independence line?

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Price depends upon the upper, so since he got standard calf, it should have been just $365.

13. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

No, the total for these was $475. Interestingly, the chili grain leather is more supple than my other chili grain AE shoes -- I am guessing that they do some sort of "Independence Line" treatment on them to make the leather softer and fit more glove-like (similar to how the walnut on a pair of Jefferson's is softer and more carefully burnished than a regular walnut AE shoe).

Yes, I'm already feeling the pinch. The leather selection at this point in time is also dwindling -- few shell options, they're out of many pebble grains right now like chili grain and walnut grain, etc. I wonder if they'll clamp down on sole options next.... like adding JR Rendies to regular calf shoes. Hope not....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Those are fricking amazing. I may have to replicate. The Jefferson is a perfect fit for me, and your make ups are gonna be on my mind all day. hmmmm, I may have to email Allison....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Thanks Dubs for the intel. I am pleased to report that when a shoe fails inspection it goes to the front of line to be made, Allison stated this was not always the case. Gotta love AE CS, she really took the time to explain what was going on and how the process works. A+

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! Just got the invoice for my brown shell MacNeils! I assume this means they're shipping soon?

17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Half,

Yes, that typically means that you are being billed and they are in a brown box heading towards you.

-M

18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

19. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Just got mine in yesterday. I should've taken pictures, they are gorgeous! Mine were a remake of a MTO shell Player that didn't work out for me and the Macneil last works well for me so that's why I went that route. I'll have pics Monday or Tuesday. I imagine you'll love yours as long as there's no QC issues. :slayer:

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Would love to see them.