1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The 1961 bachelor pad by Playboy.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Luc-Emmanuel, Dec 5, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is an age factor?

age of the work? age of the buyer?

2. caelte

caelte Well-Known Member

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    age of the work? age of the buyer?
    The buyer.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

If Playboy did the same piece now, I wonder how much of the modern art would be replaced with plasma screen televisions. . .
    Playboy just recently did update the "bachelor pad". I'll see if I can find it.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Here you go. But Gehry? I'm not a huge fan of his. If it were my house, I'd rather have it done by Bart Prince. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The aforementioned Bart Prince: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ATM

ATM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Looks like a Kleenex box. Gesundheit.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

That's the problem with Gehry and his repetitive designs.

7. designprofessor

More bachelor pads on an unlimited budget.

1. Richard Meier -Douglas House
    Furniture: Bauhaus -Intl Style furniture -throw in a some Baroque pieces by Boulle. Some "Cold Mountain paintings by Brice Marden.

2. Richard Neutra -for a desert view
    Furniture, probably some contemporary with clean lines.
    For art: a selection of photography, a Frank Stella -black painting, some pop art by Ed Ruscha and Wayne Thiebaud

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

If that is the Dauffman desert house, it is one of the most spectacular places that I have ever been. I was at a party there two years ago and it is better now than it was when built. Not only is the house great, but the plantings are spectacular.

If it is a different Neutra house than I am sure that it is still great.

9. designprofessor

Kaufman House, also linked with Wright's Falling Water

One of several famous homes I need to visit.
    I'm jealous.

10. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

Long before Hef departed Chicago to set up camp in Holmby Hills, another "bachelor" put together his idea of the ultimate pad.

[​IMG]

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Kaufman House, also linked with Wright's Falling Water One of several famous homes I need to visit. I'm jealous.
    Whoops. Typo. It is really a great house. The new owners have restored it to original specs and it is spectacular. IMO, the furniture could have been updated, but they wanted a piece of architectural history, and who could blame them? FWIW, I have also been to a cocktail party at the Gates house in Palm Springs and it is basically a glorified track house IMO. Big and nicely done, but incredibly average.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

That new design in playboy is hideous. The "art" on the wall is definitely trying too hard.

I think the design from the 60s is my favorite. If I couldn't have that I'd want iammatt's pad.

13. Mentos

Mentos Well-Known Member

That new design in playboy is hideous. The "art" on the wall is definitely trying too hard.

I think the design from the 60s is my favorite. If I couldn't have that I'd want iammatt's pad.

+1. Playboy seems to have left behind the "this is a place where I have to live" aspect of the equation and instead favored a house that is attention grabbing in all the wrong ways. It's easy to create a spectacle, tougher to design a home.

Plus, from the "bachelor" point of view, what girl isn't going to think you're insane with all those naked women all over the walls? They look like they were painted in blood. Having a nude or two around the house and a discreet mirror hung behind the bed is a lot different from cave drawings on the walls and the master bedroom wallpapered with mirrors. Yucky.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

That new conception is awful and utilizes a weirdness factor that completely phases out any semblance of taste.

It looks like some wealthy rapist's residence. And what is with the awful graphical representation? Those poorly-dressed people stuck in there--like raisins in a cake--only exacerbates the problem. Not to mention the whole digital schematic looks awkward and incompetently rendered.

15. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

I dig the Jaguar E-Type in the garage.

16. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Well-Known Member

More bachelor pads on an unlimited budget.

1. Richard Meier -Douglas House
    Furniture: Bauhaus -Intl Style furniture -throw in a some Baroque pieces by Boulle. Some "Cold Mountain paintings by Brice Marden.

Imho the best American house since the Farnsworth House by Mies.