1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ten best jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrprlover

mrprlover Well-Known Member

Id like to see this how about a pic. =]

e

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Sorry, don't have a digital camera, as mentioned before. But essentiall, on the entire front pockets, I have looped stitched (very closely, overlapping stitches) alternating sections of dark aqua and a medium brown embroidery thread, followed by a modified chain stitch underneath. Also, on the left hand side, there is a dark denim patch just under the pocket (fixing a real ripped) that was loosely loop stitched before being stitched on, all stitching in the aqua color. Same goes for reinforced back pockets (patches are inside jean, but stitching is visible.

3. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I should have clafied that I do like talking to the denim guys. I've gotten into great conversations at both stores, and, like I said, a friend of mine used to work there and he would tell me who to talk to and mention that he sent me in.

I was being flippant about the attitude in there. It isn't terrible, but it can be surreal. Some of the Ron Herman vintage stuff - old t-shirts with studs and sequins - basically junior high home-ec projects, selling for $300. And I can't go in there without seeing Cameron Diaz or Christina Ricci or Lionel Richie (my last visit). It's kinda fun, but kinda depressing at the same time - the gross side of living in L.A.

I suppose the corrosive effects of celebrity culture is a whole different discussion.

4. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

LA Guy, Nice post. Gives my some alternative jeans to consider. Sorry I'm late to the party, my current preference is Levi's 517s (a boot cut to give my long legs some shape). They also last forever. As an aside, I knew my lifestyle had changed when I started wearing out the seat before the knees. [​IMG]

5. mrprlover

mrprlover Well-Known Member

I think we need to start the "Let's get LA a digital camera" Fund.

e

6. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

7. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

One more question. Do the APC Anglaise in unwashed denim run true to size? In non-sanfordized jeans, like 501's, I usually order 34" waist, which is my true waist, and then let them stretch to fit after shrinking. I do this mainly to keep the fit from being overly baggy in my non-existant ass and thin legs. This is the main problem with 501's - the too high rise and saggy seat.

Helmut Lang raw bootcut jeans run big, and are sanfordized. I bought 33 in those, and they are still a tad loose.

Given this, would you recommend a 33" or 34" in the APC Anglaise? LA Guy? Anyone?

8. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you are actually a 32 waist. If the jeans are shrink to fit and you buy a 34 for a proper fit, it means you are less than a 34. And you say that the HLs in 33 are too big. HLs are cut pretty slim, so they shouldn't be loose at all. As far as the APCs go, I would definitely size down based on what you just said.

Dan

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Yea, I would do the same. If 33s in HL are too loose, definitely get a 32 in APC.

10. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me on the 501s question? I was seeking guidance on how to discern good vintage 501s.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? ...

11. LA Guy

I am not a Levi's fanatic, but there are a few on superforums.com (of future cities). Search the site. I think that this has been discussed ad naseum there.

12. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Not to be argumentative, but my waist is really 34. 34" Levi's will shrink to be too tight, but they easily stretch back to 34 in the waist, and the seat and thighs don't stretch back out because I don't stretch them there. And, for what it's worth, Helmut Lang does have a slim sillhoette but they don't run true to size, at least in the raw denim plain bootcut. My 33 is actually about a 34 after a few washes and, like all denim, it stretches a bit from there.

All jeans are sized quite differently. My Denime's are 36, and so are my 1947 Levi's repros. I'm curious to know if the APC runs true to size. If the unwashed 34 is a true 34, that will be perfect. It will shrink a bit, but will stretch back with wear. And I don't need any extra room in the seat or legs.

13. LA Guy

Buy the 33 Anglaise. I am a true 33, and they fit me fine, but loose - i,e, I need to wear them with a belt. If you want a snugger jean, and are a true 34, buy the 33, which is about 35 in true waist (actually, hip) size. The one inch extra inch prevents you from looking like Kevin Costner. Which is a good thing.

14. ken

ken Well-Known Member

So, how do you pronounce Da'mage? Like 'damage,' or do you rhyme it w/ 'garage'? The latter would be quite hilarious if it were correct.

15. LA Guy

I have no idea.

16. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Well-Known Member

17. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I was curious about the Da'mage pronunciation as well. It's easy to talk about them on the forum, more difficult in person.

Shopping report: went to Nordstrom Rack in Towson, MD they have a range of JP Da'mage (Insurance, a few others) for $70. I wasn't impressed. The cut was alright, a little loose in the legs, and the whiskering/finishing was very artificial looking. I did not buy, I think I'll put my jeans budget towards the APC Anglaise or new standard: the RL McCallum of jeans for the forum.
    NR also had a pair of ancient Diesel jeans with the legs tapered down to like a 7" leg opening.

Loehmann's in Towson has some cool stuff - Levi's "Red" jeans (?) and sanforized, finished cotton trousers as well as some badass levi's premium tshirts, all pretty cheap. The "Red" jeans must be a bit old, they're very odd. Messy stitching, plastic button fly and plastic suspender buttons on the outside. Wide legs. The denim might have been a blend.

James Perse t's as well, a good amount of Fred Perry junk, and a lot of nice zegna ties for $40. Granted, all of it is at least a few seasons old, but nifty stuff.

18. LA Guy

I like the Rekko Da'mage jeans, and to a lesser extent, the Ice, which has a distinctive look.  The Rode hard also has a nice wash, and is more natural looking, but the 8.5 ounce denim puts me off - way too light.  Of their other jeans, the City wash intrigued me, but I already had a pair of Paper Denim Visions (btw, the most inconsistent wash in any jean, ever.  I think that the treatment is very difficult to get correct - i.e. streaky, but not over the top) and didn't need another mapri of streaky jeans.  But neither the City nor the Ice washes are supposed to look "natural".  

I personally like the wider cut at the thighs and the slight bootcut.  If you don't like them even this wide, though, you will probably want the New Standard rather than the Anglaise, which is looser throughout than the Da'mage jeans.

19. LA Guy

Those actual sound quite recent, I would say either F/W 2003/2004, and no earlier than 2002, based on the collections I've seen.

20. cest_vrai

cest_vrai Member

This is a somewhat unrelated question, but when first washing unwashed denim should you keep them separate from other jeans because of the indigo that may be lost? Or, would it be fine to wash them with all your other jeans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.