1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Teeth Whitening

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Hostage, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Taxler

Taxler Well-Known Member

My dentist charging a little over $500 to create the trays. They say the trays will last for a lifetime.
    Anyone gone this route with the Opalescence treatment and felt it was worth the price.

Depending on how often you use them, they should last many years, but I think that saying they last a lifetime might be too much.

2. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

My previous dental place told me that the crest strips worked just as good as their dental trays. At least they were being honest!

My current place says that the crest strips work but theirs is "slightly" better.

It's all the same bleaching agents anyway, I don't see how one is better tha nthe other , other than the fact that the trays mightgive a bit better coverage. And if you don't have any real stains (i.e you don't drink much coffee/tea), you probably won't see much if any change.

Most people only get a shade or two.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

My previous dental place told me that the crest strips worked just as good as their dental trays. At least they were being honest!

I'm pretty sure it depends on how straight your teeth are. Crest strips probably work as good or almost as good if your teeth are perfectly straight, but if your lowers are a bit crooked I think they are less effective and they won't get in the cracks.

4. zerodeefex

zerodeefex Member

Is ddswhite still in business? Anyone but why used them yet? It looks like their site is having problems, but you can still order stuff via paypal.

5. stickshift

stickshift Well-Known Member

I've got professional bleach by Poladay for use at home. I don't need to use it that often; I brush with Crest Vivid White and get good results. I tried the OTC Rembrandt bleaching kit and it didn't really give good results.

6. mshah

mshah New Member

I personally thinks that teeth whitening is dangerous for our teeth because it removes the shiny coating from our teeth and we than began to feel hot and cold while eating or drinking.

7. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Well-Known Member

Ive been using the white strips for a few years now. They work well enough, but what I do is instead of leaving them on for 30 minutes I leave them on for 1 hour. Doing this 2xs a day for 2 weeks is a PITA, but it works pretty good. The problem is they don't cover all your teeth and its a PITA. And it wears off after a few months, so Id do this maybe 3 times a year, again PITA. And they are expensive at $20 a pop. Although there are deals to be had. The first time I tried Crest some dude told me about them and I was skeptical but he told me they had a full money back gaurentee so I got them and they worked! I still got my money back I just lied and said I didn't like them haha...Ive been hooked ever since. I don't like the strips though I prefer the molded kind better they hold their shape longer.

Im gonna try the method Why linked, that looks better.

8. aleeboy

aleeboy Well-Known Member

I recently whitened my teeth. Did the bleaching thingy and sat under a laser which gave me immense pain. They will scratch your teeth surface to increase uptake of the bleach and this will take time to get used to.

I didn't notice dramatic improvement in whiteness as my teeth were only 2 shades away from the whitest natural colour. I was silly and was under the impression that you get celebrity white teeth. Turns out they are enamel surfaces stuck infront of the teeth.

9. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

he told me they had a full money back gaurentee so I got them and they worked! I still got my money back I just lied and said I didn't like them haha...

How is that funny? You're an asshole.

10. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I recently whitened my teeth. Did the bleaching thingy and sat under a laser which gave me immense pain. They will scratch your teeth surface to increase uptake of the bleach and this will take time to get used to.

Did they offor you painkillers beforehand?

11. aleeboy

aleeboy Well-Known Member

Did they offor you painkillers beforehand?

They gave me a couple post the bleaching. Made for some good and randomly timed spasms.

Sweet

12. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Well-Known Member

How is that funny? You're an asshole.

because I lied to a fortune 500 company? and then gave them 10xs more business? I don't think they care. In fact I will bet any money they knew people would do exactly what I did. Its pretty much the first one is free then you get hooked into buying 20 more....Ive given them thousands of dollars and they gave me $20.

13. fredfred

fredfred Well-Known Member

I used ddswhite. Did the paypal thing and received trays and ordered supplies elsewhere. Worked fine. As for results - yes there was an improvement. I was going to post before/after pictures, but didn't get around to it.

One downside, they sold my email address and I started receiving a ton of dental related emails. blah on that.

14. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

because I lied to a fortune 500 company? and then gave them 10xs more business? I don't think they care. In fact I will bet any money they knew people would do exactly what I did. Its pretty much the first one is free then you get hooked into buying 20 more....Ive given them thousands of dollars and they gave me $20.

It's still not much different than stealing - rationalize it however you want.

15. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Well-Known Member

Maybe Notreknip is my dentist -_-

It's kind of ridiculous/annoying how my fathers insurance covers literally unlimited dental work for me at the best dentist in the city and I only go a few times a year for cleaning, yet it wouldn't cover anything related to tooth whitening.

No insurance company covers cosmetic surgery/dentistry. They'd go broke in a matter of days.

16. downtownstyle

downtownstyle Well-Known Member

17. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

No. I used these guys and they made spot-on trays with zero hassles. Dentists overcharge for whitening because they can.
    Are these guys legit? Not a single link except the "buy now" ones work on the site. I could just go ahead and paypal with my credit card and dispute if nothing shows up, but I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle if possible. On the topic though, I picked up the 42-pack (84 strips) of Whitestrips Supreme Professional (the one that only dentists are supposed to give out) from Amazon for about $50. WAYYY cheaper than buying anywhere in stores. The whitestrips do work, but you have to be consistent with using them, which I'm not, and they are kind of a pain in the ass to keep on for 30-45mins. Talking will move them out of place as well. Best to do before bed while watching TV or something

18. kaiimac

kaiimac Active Member

Are these guys legit? Not a single link except the "buy now" ones work on the site. I could just go ahead and paypal with my credit card and dispute if nothing shows up, but I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle if possible.

I was wondering the same thing...kinda sketchy.

19. javierf1987

javierf1987 Member

I used Zoom2 and it worked wonders

20. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Well-Known Member

I've considered teeth whitening, but wasn't sure as to the avenue. Now I know, thanks SF!