1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I forgot. I ended up just getting the training shorts and a pair of the sweats. Like them both a lot. I had a 25% off coupon though, otherwise the nike tech fleece are probably a better deal (Isaora is slightly better fit imo but an extra $30-40). Shorts are really good, I don't really like the short inseam of most training shorts, unless you go with bball shorts but those are usually too heavy/dense, the training shorts are super light weight and about a 9.5" inseam in the Large.
    would buy again.

2. jimanchower

jimanchower Well-Known Member

East Dane has an extra 25% off sale items. I picked up the Veilance Field LT jacket. Hoping it's a good choice.

3. Grove

Grove Well-Known Member

Christopher Raeburn Sale
    Also reductions at Matches

Smock jacket and shorts are so good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

mmmm 4 way stretch fabric

5. jimanchower

Anybody know where I can find a Veilance Blazer LT in Mesos Blue size S or M on sale? Inventory has them for $350 but only in L or XL.

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Guys, which Arc'teryx hardshell should I buy, Beta LT or Beta LT Hybrid?

I'm really more of a weekend warrior with outdoor activities. Most of the time this will be for city/travel use. Sometimes I go backpacking/Hiking/camping/fishing, but nothing terribly extreme.
    The regular Beta LT is Gore Tex pro all throughout so it is 3.5oz lighter and more durable, but doesn't have many features. The LT Hybrid has a collar and pit zips but only uses Gore Tex Pro on the shoulders/underarms where more wear is likely. Right now at REI, they're the same price.

LT Hybrid

[​IMG]

Standard LT (currently on sale)

[​IMG]

7. aeymxq

aeymxq Active Member

so I learned today that I get a 45% discount on arcteryx stuff. not sure yet if that includes AV, but I am looking anyway, specifically at the component shirt.

does anyone have any comments on this, specifically what function the merino back panel serves?

8. onehotchili

onehotchili Well-Known Member

I've been on Arcteryx's program for 5+ years, but never was given discounted access to their Veilance line.... which makes sense since I mostly needed their technical gear. In any case, never got to handle their AV component shirt so I can't speak to the piece your looking at.

I definitely like their technical stuff... on par with some of the best gear out there!!

9. ferrari909

ferrari909 Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the Veilance Insulator Jacket and how warm it is? I'm thinking about using my spring jackets as shells and buying some type of insulating jacket to go inside. I'm open to suggestions if there are better ones than the Veilance jacket. Thanks

10. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay Arc' money for a Paclite jacket.

Paclite is now very much a second tier fabric in the Gore line. I don't have experience of the latest Gore Pro, and it is hard to get good information on it as Gore tends to keep details of their technology hush hush, and there is confusion between Pro and the older Pro Shell. I use eVent which being air permeable I have found significantly outperforms any Gore-Tex I have used. I gather that Pro uses a double layered membrane, but I don't know how well it stacks up against eVent and NeoShell in terms of permeability. Then again, I would be hard pressed to name a jacket made of either of these that is cut and built as well as Arc'.

Out of the two Arc' jackets, given that one will be more durable, has a full coverage hood, made out of what should be more breathable fabric, and having a backer which will make it feel less clammy, it should be an easy choice.

Real jacket versus pretender.

Given the better jacket retails for significantly more, but you can get it on sale at the same price, that should make the choice even easier.

11. BostonHedonist

Thanks for weighing in Roger. I've got some experience with Gore Pro. I have an A.V. Insulated Field Jacket that replaced all my (non mountain) winter outerwear in one fell swoop. When combined with Coreloft and Arc'teryx construction, Gore Pro defies logic when it comes to breathability and core temperature stabilization.

I think your points are all valid about comparing the two shells I'm looking at. When looking at Gore-Tex Paclite, the two most common complaints are 1) clamminess/condensation that doesn't wick fast enough due to the inner lamination and 2) that it tears easier. Also, it's derived from the original old school Gore-Tex. However, I do not plan on wearing this jacket in environments that require the utmost in ruggedness. So the durability is not a chief concern, especially since the high-stress areas of the hybrid are reinforced with Gore Pro. But it would be nice. I do love Gore Pro.

The hybrid does have an articulated collar, which lends itself to use as a simple windbreaker moreso than the LT, which has a combination hood-collar. I like the separate collar. But then I wonder how much the pit zips can really make up for the 25%-30% lower breathability and if I would even really use them. Maybe I should just spring for a Beta AR and be done with it.

How do you like eVent? I hear it's amazingly breathable but can get chilly.

12. Roger la Rock

I find the breathability of the eVent much better than anything else I have used. It can stay dry on conditions that would have older versions of Gore running with condensation and feeling clammy. When working hard I've had my base layer saturated, but the interior of the shell feeling dry. In the worst case, it's got a little damp inside, but never clammy unless it's been badly wetted out. Among others I have an old Lowe jacket I've had for a decade that I use for a beater which is still holding out. Before having eVent, I disliked wearing a rain jacket as they quickly became uncomfortable, but now I'm happy to wear one in place of a softshell.

As far as eVent getting chilly, I think it's more the case that it's less prone to overheating. in cold wind you get a sense that some air is coming through, but not to an extent you feel as wind. The upside of this is that it keeps your temperature more stable with less of the overheating, sweating and cooling cycle.

I find pit zips are more useful for dumping heat than assisting breathability. Older versions of Gore required a significant temperature and humidity gradient to pass moisture, and by opening up the jacket you lowered these gradients and hence the breathability of the jacket. If the Pro is a match for eVent I would expect a jacket without pitzips would be more comfortable than a Paclite one with pitzips. In the end that is the price you pay for light weight, either a less durable fabric or fewer features or both. Often the best solution is to have a fully featured bombproof jacket for days when you need to wear it and and a light minimal jacket for days when you need to carry it. If you get a Pro jacket I would be interested in hearing your impressions.

I do like the Coreloft. I have an Atom SV, first synthetic jacket I've had that comes close to providing the warmth of down.

13. BostonHedonist

Oh cool, I was looking at the Atom SV. If i did more outdoor activities in the cold, I'd look more closely at one of those. Me being a city boy though, the Veilance line is my winter fave (when I can find a deal) since it's the utmost in minimalistic, city appropriate technical outerwear IMO.

I'll have to try one of those light Rab eVent shells one of these days. I'm fascinated that eVent has such a rabid following and so many people thumbing their noses at the Gore stuff from Arc'teryx - and for so much less money.

I ended up buying both Betas each for a steal. Whichever one I like less I'll sell off. Now, how to determine which tag to pop. I must do a test...

14. jimanchower

Looking for feedback on the Mission Workshop Zurich. I've got one to try on now and I'm thinking about keeping it because it's pretty great. Does the merino lining hold up over time? Does it keep you completely dry if you need to spend 5 minutes in the rain getting from one place to the next? Commentary is appreciated.

15. BostonHedonist

Never saw that soft shell before. I can't speak about it form experience, but It looks like it would be ideal for foggy/misty cool climates. Looking at the construction, I wouldn't wear it in a downpour. But it seems like it'd keep you dry in an average rain for a few minutes. Never heard of Schoeller Dryskin, I'd be curious to learn about that. The DWR coating will have to be re-applied every season or so to maintain water resistance. That's pretty easy to do.

Merino is not a terribly fragile fabric if its woven thick and tight. It lends a natural breathability and anti-microbial layer to a technical garment, which is pretty cool. But make no mistake, it's a city garment and not a performance garment. You'll likely be trading harder-working technical fabrics for better aesthetics and all-around comfort.

See also: http://veilance.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&model=Composite-Jacket

1 person likes this.
  16. Roger la Rock

Dryskin was possibly the first fabric marketed as softshell. It's a double weave fabric, tougher outer layer with softer inner layer and no membrane. It's right at the more breathable / less water resistant end of the spectrum. Unlikely to hold off rain for very long.

A word of warning. Some versions of Dryskin have cordura fibres which are very abrasive. Easy to pick as the fabric feels rough. I had some pants made of this and as well as pilling badly at the crotch, they damaged a couple of jackets before I realised what was going on. Less likely to be a problem with a jacket, but something to be aware of.

1 person likes this.
  17. Roger la Rock

Arc'teryx is hard enough to get your hands on in Australia. I'm not sure anyone carries it anymore, and when they did, they didn't have the best pieces. Most of the internet sellers are geoblocked nowadays, requiring a shipping service. So I've never seen any of the Veliance stuff.

Rab is functional, but is not as nice as Arc'. It's clearly been designed by people who understand full conditions. I have the heavyweight Latok jacket which feels like a suit of armour. You feel as though you could be out in anything wearing it, but the cut and construction is not up to Arc' standards.

The other UK maker of eVent is Montane. They're more into lightweight backpacking stuff, but do make some mountaineering items. I have an old air jacket, nice jacket, and light at about 11 oz. The fabric is light and crinkly, but has held up better than I expected.

UK sizes tend to run smaller than US, especially in the body. You may want to go up a size, unless you want it to fit very trim. The other difference is that they use wired rather than laminated hoods. They claim a wired hood provides better protection in bad conditions, but I find they can collapse in the wind. Not a deal breaker either way.

18. jimanchower

That's good to hear, thanks. I'd be wearing it to/from the gym in the winter, as a cool weather outer layer, and under an AV hardshell in cold/wet weather. It sounds like a good fit in that role.

The outer fabric on this one is smooth to the touch. It's really quite nice. I'm leaning towards keeping it... just wish I could have it in a gray/charcoal color (which I think they used to make).

19. BostonHedonist

@roger after zipping both jackets up and doing some jumping Jacks with the a/c off and Windows open, I've concluded that the standard LT trumps the hybrid. I am a bit wary of it not having pit zips. But it is clearly the standout. Although I will say that the bit of Gore Pro in the hybrid seemed to increase breathability in the underarm area. Really it is a fine jacket. But I'm keeping the more durable more breathable one.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  20. Roger la Rock

Impressed that you could feel the difference between the panels of the two fabrics. If they feel that different I'm sure the LT will be the right choice.