1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to look at what they have. I'm trying to replace my do everything North Face fleece that I've had for 5 years - been good for hiking and such, but it's time to switch it out.

2. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

Yeah I had been wearing NF too but since discovering TAD I have not looked back. Gotta hurry when they release something new though since they tend to sell out quick and TAD are rather slow to restock. I recommend buying the Ranger LT first since the original Ranger with the 10oz fabric is too warm for fall-like weather

3. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Ranger LT is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. It's amazing they're that warm because just by looking at the pictures, you'd never expect that. How does the sizing compare to say, a North Face fleece of similar design?

4. brokeassp

here's their chart
    http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Support/Size-Chart-and-Fit-Guide

IMO TAD is slimmer than NF. I had the NF Bionic Apex and the TAD Ranger Hoodie I gave to my cousin was definitely slimmer. The Ranger is designed as an "active fit" so they can be layered under their Stealth Jacket with the "standard fit." It also has a shit ton of pockets and other details not shown in their pics like unzippable vents under the pits, media ports, etc. etc.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I think I'm definitely going to get one so I'll post some pics when I do!

6. brokeassp

fuggen I need to stop lookin at their site or I`ll go broke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That`s the Stealth softshell you`re supposed to wear with a mid-layer like the Praetorian and the Ranger. basically same setup but in softshell version. next on my list when they come back in stock :slayer:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

That does look pretty nice... will have to check out.

Anyone have any recs for a waterproof blazer style jacket. Selling my GT-J11 and trying to decide what to replace it with.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

9. akatsuki

That is almost too minimal. I might just end up picking up a GT-J29 to update the J11. Of course, the E-J21 has now caught my eye - anyone able to comment on the E fabric versus the GT Paclite used in the GT-J21?

Basically, should I get an E-J21 or GT-J21 Set 1 if I stick with Acronym?

10. quasky

quasky Well-Known Member

this thing is pretty sweet. tested the water-resistance recently and it stands up nicely (see pics here: http://nomadshop.net/index.php/entry/286).

11. scamster

scamster Well-Known Member

thanks for the link quasky, love the photos :)

want to purchase a ten c field but have to save a few more pennies.

12. akatsuki

Anyone know anything about Arcteryx LEAF - is it just overpriced color patterns or is there more to it?

13. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

The models aren't exactly the same (fabrics, pockets configurations etc), lack of apparent branding (afaik), most pieces are still made in Canada (vs China), the fit is probably slightly different too

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  14. brokeassp

I just got the TAD Ranger jacket. Jesus this is the end game for me. Fits like it was tailored for my body.

15. kubrick

kubrick Well-Known Member

what is your height/build/weight and what size did you end up getting?

cheers

16. brokeassp

5'5" 155 lbs. 41" chest. i got a medium. My weight is not really a good indication because I am more top heavy and got jpop model calves lol.

This is pretty accurate:
    http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Support/Size-Chart-and-Fit-Guide

If you don`t like the fit, TAD is easy to deal with.

the details are fucken crazy in this jacket. I have not seen this much detail off my other arcteryx, mammot, nf jackets. patch panels, media ports, thumb holes, pit vents, the very top of the collar where the zipper ends, there`s extra fabric that covers the zipper itself. I`ll take pics tmrw

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a good waterproof rain jacket / parka under $500? Functional but stylish and simple, preferably with a removable liner for colder days.

18. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

I am kind of surprised you are that impressed with the jacket details. What you listed is pretty much standard in any mid to high end technical jacket. I thought maybe you were used to cheap jackets but you listed Arc'teryx and other fairly nice brands. I guess I have to see it for myself.

19. Kuznetsov

Kuznetsov Well-Known Member

Unless you are law enforcement or armed forces you can't buy it. I'm not a big fan of the leaf range myself.

20. akatsuki

Why not? And there is always stuff on eBay, so buying it isn't a big deal...