1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Teas with caffeine in them

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I need to take a break from coffee for a little while and I'm trying to get my fix from elsewhere. What do you guys recommend for teas that have some caffeine in them? I know absolutely NOTHING about tea (mostly hate what I've had before) so I could use a crash course in this shit.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Black teas are generally going to have the highest caffeine content, but even then it's likely to have only half as much caffeine as an equivalent amount of coffee.

What teas have you tried before that you disliked?

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I've hated every tea that I've ever tried. They've all been too weak and thin compared to coffee. I'm trying some green tea packets now and they taste like groundwater runoff.

What I need is something to keep me going throughout the day that isn't coffee. Which ones have the highest caffeine content?

5. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Well-Known Member

Actually, black tea has the least amount of caffeine of all the varieties produced from tea plants. Green tea has quite a bit more, white tea has the most. I would not recommend starting with greens and whites, though. Get a number of good black teas from different countries/regions/tea gardens to find out which flavor profile you like, then go on with green and white tea. A black Darjeeling (Steinthal is a classic garden) Assam and a high quality broken blend will do to get the basics covered.

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

See, as much as I want to start getting into this for taste, I need to do it ass backwards and get into it for caffeine first, then go from there.

7. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Well-Known Member

8. erdawe

erdawe Well-Known Member

Drink loose leaf tea for taste. So many possibilities.

Then take low dosage caffiene pills in set amounts equivalent to a cup of coffee you used to take.
    A nice pill cutter will last you.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. Harold falcon

I don't believe this is correct. Where did you get your information? Black tea equals highest caffeine content has always been my understanding.

10. the_drizzle

Both of you are wrong.

The amount of caffeine in a cup of tea is primarily determined by volume and seeping time.

The growing methods affect how much caffeine is in a particular variety of tea, whereas oxidation has no effect.

11. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

I enjoy tea and drink several cups each day. It gives me a bit of energy but it's a much more subtle boost than coffee.

I don't really know about caffeine content but if you want a potent, flavourful brew try a Lapsang Souchong - very smoky and delicious. I've been drinking lots of oolong lately - Ti Quan Yin is great. I'll drink pretty much every type though and a good English breakfast tea is really nice in the morning.

Do you have a local tea shop or high-end grocer? If not, you can buy online. Mariage Frères make some of the best blends I've tried and have a huge variety available for purchase online. Not cheap though and you have to order a lot to make it worthwhile because shipping is pretty expensive as well.

12. Harold falcon

Yeah, no. I'm right.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211

13. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

Looseleaf tea is the best, my preference are black teas. But since you aren't sure what you like I suggest you get tea bags, something mainstream and relatively inexpensive like tazo or twinnings. Black tea has the most caffeine and tastes the best IMO, I dislike green tea for the most part.

14. the_drizzle

You are still wrong.

Compared to green/white teas, black tea is typically seeped longer with a larger amount of leaves.

15. Harold falcon

I think you mean steep. But are you suggesting the Mayo clinic is wrong? Why would they lie to us?

16. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

This one. Brew a pot of loose leaf - Twinnings works just fine - and add milk and sugar. Key to a proper cuppa is good quality tea (no tea bags w/ tea dust) and warming the pot and cup with boiling water before adding the tea and milk, respectively. Been drinking it my entire life. And if it's good enough for me it's good enough for anyone else.

The only complaint I have w/ tea is that it's a diuretic.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  17. the_drizzle

They aren't lying, they simply didn't provide a complete explanation.

Black teas are typically brewed for 5 minutes, in hotter water, and often with more tea leaves...thus the end result typically has more caffeine.

If you brewed green and white teas the same, you would produce a cup with an equivalent amount of caffeine.

The point is that there is nothing inherent in black tea that makes it stronger.

There are certain types of leaves that are inherently stronger, but that is from how it is grown/harvested rather than oxidation.

18. Harold falcon

Where are you getting this information? Why are you claiming black teas are "typically" brewed longer and in hotter water and with more tea leaves?

EDIT- And even if what you are writing is true, then the result is still that the beverage to be consumed by Rambo as green tea would have less caffeine than a cup of black tea. Your point is meaningless.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  19. the_drizzle

I was going off the link I posted earlier. I did a quick search and a lot of the numbers were all over the place. In fact, even the numbers you posted from the Mayo Clinic aren't clear cut (the ranges overlap).

Besides the link I posted earlier, the American Dietetic Association lists black and green tea with the same amount of caffeine (http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=10642&terms=tea).

This site also had a fairly thorough breakdown of caffeine content in tea: http://coffeetea.about.com/od/caffeinehealth/a/Factors-Influencing-Caffeine-Levels-In-Tea.htm.

This paper goes into detail about the effects of growing techniques (e.g. harvesting times and leaf locations) on caffeine: http://www.teascience.org/pdf/vol-7-4dunamics-of-caffeine-by-alam-chowdhury.pdf

Caffeine content of a few teas in a study: http://www.elmwoodinn.com/about/caffeine.html
    Also discusses caffeine content in black and green tea. An additional point to take away from this site is that teas are not all the same; there are weak and strong varieties of green, white, and black teas.

Concerning my claim on how black teas are typically brewed: this is common knowledge...do you drink tea? Black tea is typically brewed for 4-5 minutes with near boiling water, while green/white tea is brewed much cooler for 2-3 minutes.

And why this all matters? Because it's misinformation. Moreover, the OP stated that he had not enjoyed the flavor of the teas he had previously tried--limiting his options to a single category of tea will reduce the chances of finding something enjoyable.

And finally, matcha (made from green tea) can be made stronger than any other variety since its basically concentrated. So if the OP really liked green tea, needed an excessive amount of caffeine, and was willing to spend significantly more money, he could go that route.